Looking for a choice specimen

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I have a brand-new spot, about 4' deep and 9' wide I'm planning for a Jap. Maple. This is on the north side of our home (we're zone 7a/6b-ish), and I want a low-growing (5' max) variety with eye-catching leaf color - red or gold, preferably.

Suggestions, please? I'm willing to be patient and buy a smaller plant by mail, instead of grabbing a larger but "same ol, same ol" variety (5 gallon, $100+) from one of local big box places.

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

Terry, you might check out Forest Farm, Their paper catalog has several pages of Japanese Maples ranging from adult size of 1' to adult size of 20'. I suspect they may be out of a lot of cultivars right now, but I'd think they'd be having a lot of them available to fall shipping. The Tube size appears to be reasonably priced and everything I have read says Forest Farm may be high on shipping but do not fold trees in thirds or even halfs. Good luck. Dotti

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, I'll do that - I know Ray (ForestFarm) has an excellent selection, as I added a lot of them to PlantFiles when I was working on his PlantScout listings), and I think Trans-Pacific World Plants has a good selection, too.

I'm hoping I'll get some "personal favorites" here to help me narrow down the possibilities.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Terry ~

When I bought my house 2 months ago (first one...yay!!!), I also wanted a very special JM to stand in the entry-way bed by my front door - a very prominent spot!!....I went to a local nursery with over 300 different trees, specializing in Japanese Maples. They probably have 100-125+ different varieties. I think I looked at them all...but I finally chose the two that were the most spectacular....IMO...they are:

Acer palmatum 'Katsura' ~ this is the most beautiful, by far, Maple I saw that day!! It starts out with yellow/orange foliage with hints of red, on nice reddish petioles(??)/stems. As the season progresses, the leaves begin to turn more green, but they all turn in order of their age...older growth is more green, newer more orange/red, and the newest growth at the tips a fiery yellow/orange. This many-toned leaf effect is carried all thru summer, and then in Fall...stand back! This is one of the most dramatic fall colored trees I have seen, ever!! I can not exaggerate the beauty of the yellow/orange/red of the leaves of this tree, all on red stems. I have had many a neighbor/walker/driver stop to ask me about this tree!! So very pretty!!

Finely dissected leaves, wonderful shape, slower growing tree. Can be container planted, which I have done, in a LARGE pot, but of course can be planted as well. Sun - part shade to more shade, but some coloration may be lost in deep shade. I will post a pic now, but I'll go and take more for you later today when it is in better light to show detail of leaf/stem/coloration. I know you would love this tree!! Can you tell I do?? LOL :o)

I am also going to find the name of the other one, it is very nice, but is a cascading one...may not be big enough for your spot, but I will post its name and pic this eve as well!!

Jamie

This message was edited Jul 17, 2005 2:33 AM

Thumbnail by jamie68
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Terry
i believe the shape of a Japanese Maple is as important as the color & leaves
you can shop all you want on the internet to find the different species you like
but go to all the nurseries in your area & look at the trees
walk around it to get a feel for it's future look :-)
these trees will be around longer then we will

Dick

Thumbnail by Strever

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.