Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jamie68

In reply to: Looking for a choice specimen

Forum: Japanese Maples

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Looking for a choice specimen
jamie68 wrote:
Hi Terry ~

When I bought my house 2 months ago (first one...yay!!!), I also wanted a very special JM to stand in the entry-way bed by my front door - a very prominent spot!!....I went to a local nursery with over 300 different trees, specializing in Japanese Maples. They probably have 100-125+ different varieties. I think I looked at them all...but I finally chose the two that were the most spectacular....IMO...they are:

Acer palmatum 'Katsura' ~ this is the most beautiful, by far, Maple I saw that day!! It starts out with yellow/orange foliage with hints of red, on nice reddish petioles(??)/stems. As the season progresses, the leaves begin to turn more green, but they all turn in order of their age...older growth is more green, newer more orange/red, and the newest growth at the tips a fiery yellow/orange. This many-toned leaf effect is carried all thru summer, and then in Fall...stand back! This is one of the most dramatic fall colored trees I have seen, ever!! I can not exaggerate the beauty of the yellow/orange/red of the leaves of this tree, all on red stems. I have had many a neighbor/walker/driver stop to ask me about this tree!! So very pretty!!

Finely dissected leaves, wonderful shape, slower growing tree. Can be container planted, which I have done, in a LARGE pot, but of course can be planted as well. Sun - part shade to more shade, but some coloration may be lost in deep shade. I will post a pic now, but I'll go and take more for you later today when it is in better light to show detail of leaf/stem/coloration. I know you would love this tree!! Can you tell I do?? LOL :o)

I am also going to find the name of the other one, it is very nice, but is a cascading one...may not be big enough for your spot, but I will post its name and pic this eve as well!!

Jamie

This message was edited Jul 17, 2005 2:33 AM