Insect ProblemCan I use Tick, Flea & Ant Killer?

Collins (90 min. dr, MS(Zone 8b)

My perennial hibiscus has been eaten alive by bugs. I put seven's dust on it, but was wondering something...........I put tick, flea & ant killer (which kills other insects as well) in my fenced in area for my dogs & it works wonderfully. Could I do the same by putting this tick, flea & ant killer around this hibiscus & it kill the insects for like a month, so I won't have to keep seven's dust on it? Just an idea?

Very small town in S, Canada

Just try some Safer's Soap spray, a lot nicer to the environment (your plant's not a dog :-) and a lot easier on the plant, but still effective.

Thank you, where do I get it? Walmart or Co-Op store?

Found some Safer's Soap, but was still wondering about the insect granules. Anyone ever tried this?
Nancy

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Try the soap first -- no need to spend the bucks and use the poisons if the soap works, right?

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

I agree with gardenwife. Pyrethrins are also a low impact option (some Ortho stuff has pyrethrins, but read the label for active ingredients to make sure you got the right one).

As for the granules, if the insect flies onto your bush, the granules won't have any affect anyway. They won't even be coming near the granules on the ground. But you could be killing helpful things in the soil around the bush (maybe worms for example), and too much might also hurt the bush as well.

Depending on what kind of bugs you have, a systemic material such as imidicloprid could be a long-term help, because it will only get the insects that suck on your plant. But this will only work for some insects, so you have to know which ones you have first.

In my opinion, overtreating the bush - such as spraying/dusting with Sevin a lot - could do more harm than good, because you'll be killing just as many - if not more - good bugs. Some insects pests - such as scales - will actually do better on your bushes when spraying takes place, because they have some protection against the material (hard shells over their bodies), but their predators and parasites will be killed by it.

Wow Night_Bloom!

Never thought of all that. Guess ticks & fleas DON'T get on the top leaves of shrubs LOL.

I've only used Seven's dust ONCE this year. I'm not into all those insecticides (except for my dog's play area----I have a bird that snuggles with my dogs & if I put a flea poison on the dogs' backs & she plays with them, the bird might ingest a bit & die. ---this happened with my prior bird).

It's just that the granules work so well for my fenced in back yard, I thought...well, I wasn't thinking!

Thank you much for your feedback, all.
Nancy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.