any ideas?

Thumbnail by annac213
Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

and the face of her

Thumbnail by annac213
Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Lilium lancifolium (tiger lily) ?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Yep, I agree. Think that is the real species though, not the Lizzie Borden one. Too ear;y in the season for Lizzie Borden to be in bloom.

Any bulbils? If not, sure to be the species aand safe to have in your garden with your other lilies.
Inanda

this ine is very orange i also have a yellow one.

inanda what do you mean "safe to have in your garden"?

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

are bulbils bad?

bulbils are not bad. I think inanda is referring to the tiger lily's ability to live without symptoms even if affected by virus. Personally, I don't sure the concern. If your other lilies start to show symptoms and you can not get it under control despite careful attention then consider getting rid of lilium lancifolium, but why would you get rid of the virus resistant strain to keep the non virus resistant strains ??

I agree that the above is the species version.

im still a little confused, this is going to cause a virus? or i should just watch it?

and what is " bulbils"?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

No, you have the one that does NOT carry the virus. The one that blooms later in the year and has bulbils carries the virus. That is the one to keep far far away from your other lilies.

The virus is spread by aphids and other sucking insects which feed on a virused lily and then fly to a non-virused lily and infect it.

My lancifolium that carry (but do not show the virus) are grown in a friends garden. I love them dearly and use them for vases of flowers, just don't want them within flying distance of my lily patch.

Bulbils are great things to find on your lilies. The ones I find on lilium other than lancifolium, I plant around the stem of the mother stem, so I know where they are.

You often find bulbils on stems that are blind (ie: no bloom) or ones that have been damaged by deer/frost/bunnies/kids/ whatever.

Bulbils are another way that lilium reproduce.

Blind bulbs will usually bloom the following year.

Inanda

OH!! i have a few that are doing that, i was really wondering what it was, do i just let them do thier thing? please inform me i am new to lilys

I am a bit confused Inanda how you can so securely say that the Lilium lancifolium slendens (I persume this is the one) carry virus. Just because they have the potential to carry virus (acting as trojan horses) this does not necerssarily mean that they do so???

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hmm...reminds me of Glinda, the Witch of the North. "Are you a good lily, or a bad lily?"

And how does one tell the difference?

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

Ooh.. good question... I've got some old tigerlilies that haven't bloomed yet.. They're in a community garden plot away from all of my other lilies but I had wanted to bring them home... Is there any way to test for the virus?

Kindof a bummer.

lol good witch haha

L. lancifolium bulbs sold commercially these days should be virus free, it doesn't mean they can't get it if they are attacked by vectors like aphids though. Aphid and weed controls are not an easy task, Mosaic Viruses have no cure so prevention is the only way.

There are tests but they do cost a pretty penny so unless you have a priceless collection or are a commercial outfit, it's a case of whether you want to take the risk or not.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.