question about Cleome

Collins (90 min. dr, MS(Zone 8b)

My Cleome has "beans" on it, but is still blooming. Do I need to cut the blooms & "beans" off for it to bloom more, or just leave it alone & let it go to seed?
Nancy

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I pulled the pods off last week on mine. I sprinkled a few around, but didn't want them all to grow in that spot. I was wondering if they would grow this year or if they require a cold spell before they will germinate.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Nancy, the beans are what gives cleome another one of its common names of Cat's Whiskers. They will continue to grow and bloom all summer just by leaving them alone.

Collins (90 min. dr, MS(Zone 8b)

Thanks. Do I need to collect the seeds? Do I plant them or leave them on top of the ground? I'm new at this seed stuff.
Nancy

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

You'll have tons of them next year by doing nothing. Save some for swaps or round robins if you'd like to.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Once the blooms open all the way to the top, I cut mine back and then you get some more smaller blooms if your season is long enough. I never collect the seeds. Just let them self sow and pull up the extras the next year.

Susan

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

If you do collect seeds, make sure the pods are ripe- almost to the point of opening up before you pick them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.