Anyone try germinating Trollius seeds?

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

Hello all,

I have a sad looking Trollius plant (too many moves in the past year.. it may come back but..) which I'd love to grow more of, I saved seeds (and a lot of them at that) a couple of years ago and I tried scattering them this (late) spring, I don't know what the seedlings look like but I haven't seen anything.. and have to kindof assume they need something special... It's not the native Trollius, but I also don't know exactly which one it is... The tag just said globeflower..

My question is really just, has anyone grown these guys from seed? And do they need to be cold stratified or is there some other trick with them? Any hints would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Byron.

Arroyo Grande, CA

If you have lots of seeds, it is better to try several different approaches at the same time. Fresh seed will often germinate without any problems even for plants that are normally cold stratified. Others seem to need to ripen, while still others will only germinate under very specific conditions.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Try a google search of
How to germinate Trollius seed
I did it for you, but the returning URL was to long to successfully cut and paste into this message.

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh, jeeze thanks Windy, (why didn't I think of that ;) )

Chuck.. I have a fair amount of seed but it's a bit old, so I'm worried that it might be really poor at germinating as it is.. otherwise, yeah, that would be the best way to find out experimentally.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.