siberian iris from seed.

Pikeville, TN(Zone 6b)

I saved two bloom stalks on one my iris to try to start some for fun and see what I get. I don't have a clue how to treat them. I posted this on the iris sight but have not gotten a response yet. I have started many perennials from seed, I just don't know the particulars of iris seeds. Chuck

Arroyo Grande, CA

There are several sites that have specific information about all different kinds of seeds. I think there is a thread in Classic Threads about it. As I remember, some iris require cold stratification. Not as difficult as it seems, just put in a damp filter paper and put it in a baggie in the veggie section of your fridge for up to three months, checking it occasionally for sprouting and keeping it damp, not soaking wet. But you need to check. Since you probably have quite a bit of seed, you can experiment with several different ways. Check out the Deno method, it is pretty easy.

Pikeville, TN(Zone 6b)

thank you

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

You can also put the seed in a glass bowl of wet perlite and cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge. Check and remove them as they germinate and either plant them outdoors or into a clean pot of potting or planting soil.
I did a bunch last year this way and there was good germination.

Pikeville, TN(Zone 6b)

thanks for the help

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.