Identify old iris?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

We moved to a property about 10 years ago that had been vacant for over 100 years. The house that used to be on the property is long gone, but the cellar remains, so we know where the house was. Even the road to the house is gone. Anyway there are two huge masses of lilacs, approx 60 x 30 ft each, and I supect they each came from one plant. A couple of years after we moved we saw in the spring, before the lilacs leaved out iris leaves. Many of them. Way under the lilacs, but near where the front door of the house would have been, so it seems they were purposely planted there. Dug some out and planted them. They are approx 52 in tall, and the leaves are floppy compared to newer varieties. It has a strong fragrance like grapes. There were about 9 buds per stem average. The clump multiplies rapidly. Anyone know which iris it might be? I have looked at many old iris pictures, but I just don't have the knowledge to identify. People here are always so helpful, and knowledgeable. Thanks so much, Polly

Thumbnail by pollyk
Concord, NH(Zone 5a)

I have no idea but they are beautiful. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi,
I don't know either. I have some that have beenplanted for nearly thirty years and still don't know the name.
Winnie

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Do they smell like grapes when in bloom?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Wanda, yes, very strong. Polly

Try this page from our own plant database:

--- iris pallida---noted for the strong grape scent. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/102000/

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Wanda, thank you for your help. I had previously seen iris pallida pictures here, and thought that looked like it, however the height confused me. The height listed for iris pallida is 24 in, and ours is 52. In your very knowledgeable opinion could iris pallida, under good cultivation reach 52 inches tall. If so, I would say that's it. Thank you again, Polly

Polly, I had a Tall Bearded "Breakers" that topped our 4 foot fence this year. Anything is possible. I. Pallida has been cross breeding with Tall Beardeds for years. Their are some TBs that have the grape scent too--all closely related to Pallida.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Polly,

I love that iris picture.

Judy

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Wanda. Appreciated Judy. Polly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.