Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Identify old iris?, 1 by pollyk

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pollyk

Subject: Identify old iris?

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Identify old iris?
pollyk wrote:
We moved to a property about 10 years ago that had been vacant for over 100 years. The house that used to be on the property is long gone, but the cellar remains, so we know where the house was. Even the road to the house is gone. Anyway there are two huge masses of lilacs, approx 60 x 30 ft each, and I supect they each came from one plant. A couple of years after we moved we saw in the spring, before the lilacs leaved out iris leaves. Many of them. Way under the lilacs, but near where the front door of the house would have been, so it seems they were purposely planted there. Dug some out and planted them. They are approx 52 in tall, and the leaves are floppy compared to newer varieties. It has a strong fragrance like grapes. There were about 9 buds per stem average. The clump multiplies rapidly. Anyone know which iris it might be? I have looked at many old iris pictures, but I just don't have the knowledge to identify. People here are always so helpful, and knowledgeable. Thanks so much, Polly