Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I recently received an advertisment for Florida Gardening Magazine. Does anyone here subscribe? If so, your comments on the value and usefulness of the magazine would be appreciated.

I'm not sure why I would even consider subscribing to a magazine when the ones I already receive get tossed into a pile, not for some rainy day, more likely for some SNOWY day, when I might finally find a moment to sit down and read them. But it Florida Gardening contains some good region specific information, I might want to sign up.

Jeremy

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Nope

Saint Petersburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I get Florida Gardening magazine and enjoy it very much. It has great articles very specific to Florida gardeners. And every month, there is a huge list of upcoming Florida garden sales and events.

Ric

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Ric,

Please correct me if I have this mag confused with another.

The one I saw at the Home Depot/Lowe's was very thin, had more advertising than articles. When I received a solicitation from them to subscribe, I wrote and asked for them to send me a sample issue and they never responded. I wanted to see if it was the same thin magazine, because of the price.

So, am I mistaken? Is it a different mag?

Can't understand if they really wanted to sell it, why not send a sample issue. I really do like to know what I am buying.

Molly
:^)))

Indiantown, FL

I have recieved it in the past. It is a small magazine.
It is good for someone that knows little about gardening. It struck me as a magazine put out by people that where from up north but recently moved here. I liked reading it but I didn't get much out of it, more info than pactical knowledge.
I haven't recieved it for about a year now, but that is my opinion of it.

Connie

I was just looking through some papers on my cabinet for something and found the subscription form I was holding waiting for a response from them.

Upon reading it again, I remember why I hesitated. 6 issues for $20.00. Pretty steep IMO.

Molly
:^)))

If someone thinks it's worth it, I may consider, but I want to hear more from other members here since the company hasn't responded to my request.

Saint Petersburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Molly,
I think we are talking about he same mag, its a bit thin and its not cheap. I'm surprised that they wouldn't sent you a free copy or two. I find the listing of FL plant events very helpful.
If you would like to see a back issue,let me know and I will send you one.

Molly, the one for which I received the ad sounds like the same one you were considering, $20 for 6 issues. Under the main title, "Florida Gardening," they have a subtitle, "Florida's Own Home Gardening Magazine." Other info in the leaflet says the magazine was started in 1995 and the publication comes out of Malabar, FL.

Knowing about local gardening events might be enough to make me subscribe also, Ric.

Jeremy

Ric,

I just sent you a private dmail

Molly

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

I have every issue they have ever printed. I got the first four as a "signing bonus" for subscribing at a plant show many years ago and have kept them coming ever since.

It is true that is it a slim magazine, but the information is 100% pertinent and as others have mentioned the calendars of events are very nice to have. I have come upon many plant shows advertised no where else and these are the places you find those special plants!

The feature articles on small out of the way attractions always give me ideas for cool day trips or thoughts on design. The fruit articles always offer "old time Florida" recipes for compotes and things I never even heard of.
The ads can be useful as well sometimes.

Could it be better/bigger/thicker? Sure.
But it is the only Florida specific magazine I am aware of and I think supporting them is a good investment.

Here's the website-
http://www.floridagardening.com/
I have always found the editors Kathy and Wae to be helpful and responsive- maybe try contacting them again?
Or better yet just subscribe- IMO $20 a year (cheaper in multiple years) seems reasonable to help keep this magazine alive and growing.

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

As a former magazine editor... I'm chiming in just to say that I think the magazine is poorly written and poorly edited. The quality of the writing and layout are amateurish at best. This is just my opinion! (Awaiting flames any second now.) I have occasionally spotted useful information here and there. Often, the photo quality is terrible. I can't imagine what printer they're using.

My biggest complaint about it is that it should be called "SOUTH Florida Gardening magazine" because very little North Florida information is included. A lot of the plants they feature are difficult, if not impossible, to grow up here. I've considered submitting content for publication because they seem to WANT to cover North Florida, but have no contacts or resources (in terms of N. FL writers who are knowledgeable about gardening here) available to them. I believe I checked on their writer's guidelines and they don't pay much. I'm sure if I get around to submitting articles and they start running my stuff, my opinion about the quality of writing would change significantly. ;>)

At the same time, I echo the sentiment that, "at least it's something" and something is better than nothing. I really should contribute and try to encourage other writers I know in this part of the state to contribute as well.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Jeremy.....is this your calling or what???? Go fo it...It's perfect for you...

Hap

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

Jeremy - I have been subscribing to this magazine for years. Sure it is thin and maybe alot of the articles do pertain to central and southern Florida, but I grow things that others don't around my zone and do like the advertising (trips to nurseries in seach of special plants) and luv the listing of events (can't find a better source). Occasionally they do have informative articles for northern gardeners. I also "collect" various gardening magazines to look at during the "colder" months of the year - but never seem to find time to read them. Guess those containers full of gardening magazines will be useful someday/time. ;-)

Well, I love a lively debate, and we seem to have one going here, filled with cogent arguments without libelous claims nor nasty name-calling. It makes my democratically emblazoned soul happy for this upcoming 4th and the freedom of speech we all cherish!

Keep your comments coming. Thus far, I seem to be leaning toward giving the magazine a try. And then, after I also become an official subscriber, Dogzilla and I can bombard them with articles and photos of plants in our northwestern Florida and northeastern Florida gardens to balance out the magazine's perspective on Florida Gardening (even though I often feel more like I'm living in southern Georgia than in Florida --- both in terms of the weather and the political and social "atmosphere" of Jacksonville). [And now I'll get flames from the Georgians, lurking heretofore silently...."Whaddaya mean by that snide remark??!! but no malice is intended] : )

Jeremy.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i've been a subscriber for about 6 years. some of the stuff in it is kind of corny, i will admit, but i have enjoyed it and learned alot. they have 2 different write-in columns and they always feature a special plant or 2. they also show a map of the state with what to do each month for all sections of florida and they usually feature someones garden. i think as long as i live in florida i will always get it

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Maybe we can put our RU in it.....the one scheduled for next 11/12 in S. Florida.....everyone is welcome.....http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/524909/

Hap

We also have a RoundUp for North Florida (and I'm sure all DGers from other locales that may want to come and swap some plants are welcome). The exact date is not yet determined, but is to occur some weekend in October in Lake City, Florida. Check the "Round Up" Forum if interested, and open the thread for "North Central Florida Round Up." I'm planning to load up my old $280 Chevy van with its 12' cargo space and be there with all things green of which I have extras.

Jeremy

Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

I used to buy a lot of magazines, but now only buy Florida Gardening Magazine. It is the only magazine that I know of that is specific to Florida. There are often plants featured that I am interested in learning. I love the listing of events. I dont think this magazine has a large enough client list to spend a lot of money on the printing. I feel fortunate just to be able to get one for FL gardeners. I have bought lots of splashy magazines with great photos but often they are photos of things I cant even grow. Fl gardening Magazine is the only magazine that I have saved every copy that I have recieved.

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

I subscribe and look forward to each issue.It may be that some of the writing lacks a certain style but I read the articles for information.
I prefer that a writer know his or her subject well.It's a little pricey but I believe it's worth the money.

Loxahatchee, FL(Zone 10a)

Regarding a sample issue of the magazine, I think a phone call or email might be enough to secure one. I'm not a subscriber but was featured in the April issue. I called their office for a copy and they sent me 20! Their phone number is: (321) 951-4500.
Robert

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Wow, what an honor...any pics that you can share with us?

Hap

Well, I'm swayed by your mostly positive comments to part with the next spare $20 I have available and take a one-year subscription. Thanks for all your input!

Congratulations, TBamboo, on being featured in the magazine. I hope I can subscribe in time to see the article.

Jeremy

Gainesville, FL

As poor as it is they're the only Florida specific magazine out there for gardening that I'm aware of. I don't subscribe, but I do buy an occasional copy if it has something I'm interested in. Unfortunately since I live in the Gainesville area that doesn't happen very often given that most of the state population is in the other end of the state.

.....Alan.

OK, I scanned the cover of the April/May issue - hopefully I don't get sued for copyright infringement...

Thumbnail by tropicalbamboo

Here's the first page of the article...
Robert

Thumbnail by tropicalbamboo
Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Florida Gardening Magazine is the subject of a short article in the current issue of "The Florida Gardener", (the 'official publication of the Florida Federation of Garden Clubs'). The article strongly recommends that all garden clubbers get a subscription. Of course, Federation folks are contributors. ;)

I just ordered a year to see what it's like.

Chops

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I know this is an old thread, but there is wonderful and helpful information going on here - let's keep it going!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Is it still being printed?

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Yes the magazine is still being printed.

I subscribe and enjoy it.

I have to admit, after starting the thread and getting all the recommendations, I never did subscribe! I just don't seem to find time to ever look at a magazine. I recently started getting magazines arriving monthly that I don't recall subscribing to and am not sure why they are coming my way. It is probably as a result of using the VistaPrint site - which is a great place to get FREE and low cost business cards, signage, posters, banners, car magnets, etc. - send me a Dmail if interested), because VistaPrint also offers free magazine subscriptions on certain orders. I'm getting Cosmo, Popular Mechanics and Southern Living (the last one I think I did subscribe to at a senior rate of about $10 per year). They arrive, I glance through them briefly and then into one of the stacks of clutter they go. I need to call the magazines to make sure that I'm not somehow committed to renewing automatically. I'm going to see if I can transfer the Cosmo subscription to someone else as I don't find much of any interest there. I've already had my beauty makeover -- it's called aging and it's free. LOL

Jeremy

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Jeremy,

If you have no use for additional papers, there probably is a charity near you that would love them. I take all mine to a Senior Center that has a day care program. I have no idea what they do with them, but the last boat load they almost kissed me. Have a hard time throwing out anything printed. They also take my paperbacks, if not to read, they sell as a fund raising type of thingy for arts and craft supplies. To me it's a win-win.

Hap

Thanks, Hap! That's a great idea. There is a senior assisted living high rise apartment complex in downtown Jacksonville not far from me, so I will drop in to see if they will take my leftover magazines and any extra books we have. Christina was an avid reader before she started studying every available moment for her current career training school. She has lots of books that she may want to pass along. She, however, enjoys reading the same books over and over and watching the same movies until she just about has the text and dialogue memorized. To her, it is like revisiting an old friend. Usually for me, unless it is a reference book or a film I particularly enjoyed and felt was complex enough to deserve a second viewing, its a one time quick scan and I never pick up the book again or watch a movie twice.

Jeremy

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

LOVE, Christina!

But I re-read for another reason. Every day is a new day for me. (Get my drift?) I get most of my books from the Salvation Army, like today, but forget what books that have been read. So, they are bought again. Coming home and finding a duplicate book makes my crazy. (Or crazier is the more appropriate term.) Recently on a flight some where north I settled down in my seat with a book and about 1/4 of the way through, yes it took that long, it started to sound slightly familiar. Yup, it's a re-read. But, every day being a new day, the end of the story was not remembered, so contentment reigned.

Ah, such is life.

Hap

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Hap, you need to do what I do - keep a running list of books and magazines on your person. I buy from yard sales and thrift stores, too, so must know what I already have to avoid duplicates.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

That sounds good, but I can't carry a file cabinet with me. LOL

I just go to the local Library then I don't have to find a place to put them just return them! I don't have room for a library.

Nance, I did the same thing when I flew up to PA for a job in November. Bought 2 new books for the plane reading. The first was new, but when I went on to the second one, I thought it was so familiar. I did have it here at home.

Still reading it, familiar, but still can't remember how it ended, so new book. Or maybe I never finished it since it was not "riveting".

Jeremy, I too used to re-read all my fav's. It was like visiting old friends, as you say.

Molly

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

It's so great not to be alone!!!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I don't subscribe, but I do buy it if it has something in it I want to read. What I love about it is that it DOES have more South Florida Gardening info. If you want info on what grows in North Florida, read Southern Living. South Florida is a whole different world from North Florida, or any other state in the union, and I'm glad there is a magazine that thinks about us.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.