What is this called?

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

We'd like to know what this is called. We've only been down here 18 months and are still pretty "green". LOL
I'd like to plant one in our yard, yes we have lots of space for one as I seen some very large one's. even ask at a nursery and the guy couldn'd tell me a name. Go figure.
All info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Tim.

Thumbnail by Tim55
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Tim, is this it?
Pati

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1204/index.html

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Tim,

If it is the "Monster" one shown in Pati's link, are they selling them in Orlando? The plant files doesn't indicate for zone 9.

I imagine that if they are selling them up your way, they might be hardy in your zone. That is another issue to think about when choosing to grow them. It might be a little challenging trying to create a "micro-climate" for a shade loving plant.

Molly
:^)))

Bartow, FL(Zone 9a)

Monstera deliciosa has a more round leaf than yours. Your plant is known as Philodendron selloum or self heading philodendron. It is not a vine like Monstera. There are several cultivars, but this looks like the original species. It is hardy in Bartow, zone 9a.

The reason the guy at the nursery didn't know it is that he probably came from Michigan and has been here less than a year.
MotherNature4

LOL :^)))))

Molly

Lakeland, FL

rofl over that one to cute. Marilynne

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Mother....you so funny!!!!

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I can't argue with Mother Nature. It is a selloum.
Jan...

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10b)

We also have "phil" and it has the most beautiful single flower. plus it's very hardy in any season. in sw florida

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

I have a couple of these in my yard in Jax, quite healthy. Survived last winter's cold just fine.

Maggie

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Hey, Maggie. Jacksonville here also!

I have some sort of "Split-Leaf Philodendron" that I thought was Monstera deliciosa, but after looking at all the different Philodendrons in the Plant Files, I'm not so sure.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1204/index.html

MotherN, I can't find any page in the Plant Files for Philodendron selloum nor "Self-Heading Philodendron" in the Plant Files. Maybe you can get a photo of one and add it to the PF?

There is a tall stalked philo that is used extensively in landscaping, especially in front of malls and other commercial venues. It has a trunk about 6 " in diameter, grows about 6 to 8 ft tall, and has the leaves emerging only out of the crown of the plant. Is that the P. selloum?

If so, I finished killing some that I got as rescues from a local mall. They had been chopped off because they had grown too tall and were blocking the view of one of the stores. I brought them home and kept them alive for a while, but I made the mistake of putting them in shade (due to them being philos and I thought all philos liked shade). They had been in full sun at the mall and by the time I moved them out of the shade and transplanted them to more sun, they were kaput!

Jeremy

I couldn't find it either. When I GOOGLED it I came back to the DG Plantfiles!

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/37036/

Bartow, FL(Zone 9a)

Pati, did you notice that P. selloum was listed as a synonum on that site? I think DG doesn't list all the synonyms in the search file. I also don't know how they determine which is the latest name for a plant. Sometimes I find something in a very recent authority only to find it listed as a synonym of something else. Anybody have a clue?
I think that covers Jax, too. It would be easy to send in a picture because I have some very old, huge ones in my yard. MN4

This message was edited Jul 18, 2005 6:54 AM

Oh my, MN4...I think that's a question for the UBER people. If you ask on "Dave's Garden Forum", you'll probably get a swift answer. They welcome questions about confusion on the Plantfiles.
Pati

I really miss the old search options on the plant files.
If you don't know the genus, species, etc, you have to research it first before you can use the PF. It was so much easier when you could just put in whatever name you knew and it would cross reference it and list the plants that matched. I very seldom use PF anymore as it's easier to google it.
Jan...

Budgie, go to plant files and punch the thingy that takes you to the second screen that asks all the information (that I NEVER have) and look on the right where it says "generalized search". That takes you to the old screen. That's the only one I ever use.
Pati

Jan,

Since I am a botanical dummy, when using the Plantfiles search block, first I put the name I know on the first line. If it doesn't correct my spelling and it doesns't find it, then I try the name on the 3rd line. Sometimes I kinda mix it up. This method usually works, if the plant is in there.

I have a Jatropha Multifida that I did a search on and it wouldn't come up in the listings of Jatrophas. However, when I put in Coral Plant, it popped right up. That was a tough one because I didn't even know it was a coral plant until I googled Jatropha Multifida.

:^)))

Thanks Pati,
I didn't realize the option was still there somewhere.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I'm with MollyMc, I put the name I know in all the blanks until it gives me something I can go on. Non techie folks like me have trouble with all techie stuff. I suffer daily with useless conversations with my 'putor and usually look things up in the dozens of books I have where you can just flip the pages if worse comes to worse. LOL ~Blooms.

PS, you guys went and got your own forum and now I have to hunt for you. Ol huffnpuff trying to keep up with a fast moving world. gone 5 weeks and come back to find somebody moved pieces of "the garden"

Well Blooms, you went off and left us for 5 weeks, so rather than just sit around and pout we got a little party going! LOL It's kinda' the same bunch that hangs out on the Coleus, Weather, Night Owl and Coffee places. We are thrilled to have the Forum, and we love having 'furriners join us. It's funny to read the Tropicals Forum, so many of them are struggling to raise things we count as invasive! *snigger*

If you notice the zone envy Canadians show up now and then! LOL Really glad you're home, missed you.
Pati

Bartow, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm with you, Budgielover. I liked the old way better. I think the simple way ought to be listed first, then people who need to can do the more intensive search.
MotherNature4

Bartow, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm with you, Budgielover. I liked the old way better. I think the simple way ought to be listed first, then people who need to can do the more intensive search.

I miss the old style home page, too. Does anyone else?

MotherNature4

It's fine now that I see you can still search the other way. My "over 40" eyes didn't see it until it was pointed out. Thanks Pati
Jan...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.