Hate Iris - giving them away.....

Clearwater, KS(Zone 6b)

I just moved into a house that has iris all around two sides of the yard, along a chain link fence. I hate them! The grass grows up thru and there is no way to keep it tidy looking. I was going to dig them up and toss them but then it occurred to me that someone here might like to have them. There were all diffrent colors when they bloomed this spring, but I didn't mark them, so it would just be a "grab bag." Any takers? Tell me how to package them for shipment and you can have them for the cost of shipping.

Gail

Concord, NH(Zone 5a)

I will take a grab bag or whatever you want to send. I will pay for shipping !!!

Waterloo, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow! I'll take them! Besides my house, my neighborhood organization is trying to landscape a public area.... iris will fit in the plan just fine! The best way to ship is to cut the leaves back by one half, in a fan shape for each root. Wash the soil off.... in a box lined with a plastic bag, put a layer of wrung out dampened spagham, add the iris, fill in around with more spagham, making layers of the roots as you go. When the box is ready, top off with dry spagham, and lightly close the plastic, then ready box as usual for shipping. Do NOT seal the plastic bag! You can private message me at: elizabeth@trxinc.com
I can send money, or use paypal to cover the shipping!
And thanks for your most generous offer! It will benefit me personally, and a low income, inner city neighborhood!

Elizabeth in Iowa

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oooohhh are you talking about BEARDED or BEARDLESS iris?
BEARDED then I've always understood they should be stored and shipped DRY. Dig, , cut with a clean, sharp knife to separate as needed, wash all dirt off rhizomes/roots, cut foliage back and leave to air dry (w/o heat or direct sun) and ship loosely wrapped in newsprint once they are fully dry.
BEARDLESS need care to keep the roots moist for shipping to prevent them from drying out.

Maybe one of the Iris Whizzes will swing in here and clarify and add to this.
Wanda, Tazzy, Laurie.....I'm sure there are others too who can help.....

If you had a photo to post that would help determine what you have.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

MG I totally agree with you. Elizabeth don't ship them wet or moist or with plastic touching them. The humidity will cause mold. MG has it right I just suggest leaving about 6" of leaf in a fan shape and about 6" of roots neatly trimmed.

LaurieF explains it all clearly here. http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/iris/2001100718011746.html

Roni

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

I will definitely want to take some off of your hands if you have any left. Let me know how much postage is....

Thankyou.... Julie =0)

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm raising my hand for some please....I'll email you.

Judy

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Elizabethtown...whew...........thanks! That's a great reference Laurie submitted. I'll be sure to keep that for future reference and sharing.

Marion, IN(Zone 5a)

I would love some too....please let me know how much postage to send..

Karen

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Gail
Count me in... I adore Irises.
Just tell me where to send the postage.
Dove

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Any left? I would love to have some for postage. Did you know that you can ship priority mail [any weight box] for $7.70 . You can really pack a lot of plants in one box. I just sent out two boxes that way.
I should go look and see what the name of the box is for priority mail shipping.
Hold on, will run downstairs and look.
Its called "flat rate box".

Maxine

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Gail - I would love to have some of the iris...if you have any left. Let me know how much for postage. Will email with my info. So nice of you to share!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Do you have any left? I would like to have a few if you do for postage. Thanks!

deb

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I would also love to have some...LMK
JanetS

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

Any left for postage

Clearwater, KS(Zone 6b)

WOW - Looks like I need to start digging! I will divide and try to send some to those who have emailed me. I will contact you by email when they are ready to send. The flowers are actually pretty. They have just been let to get out of hand on both sides of my fence and are such a mess now that I want to dig them up and start over. Sounds like they will be going to good homes. :-)

Gail

Huntington, IN(Zone 5b)

I would love some if any are left over. Thanks!

Londonderry, NH

I'll love to take any irises off your hands if you still have any left!! I will gladly pay shipping, thanks

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

Gail, I would just love to have some if there is any left..I can pay postage threw pay-pal..
Just let me know if there are any left..
Thanks, Ingrid

Clearwater, KS(Zone 6b)

OK, everyone. As I have told a couple of people who emailed me privately, I'm working really long hours right now so I don't know just when I will get them to you. I'm the accountant for a company whose fiscal year ended June 30, so I'm working like crazy getting reports, etc. prepared. I will try to divide the iris and send them out to people on a first-come, first-served basis. I will contact each of you when I have your box ready to go, ok? Thanks for the great response, and to those of you who offered to trade, we will work that out.

Gail

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Gail,
Maybe you should mark this closed till you see what you have...I have to do that when I get a large response for the things I offer...just get caught up and then reopen if you have more to share....take your time! I know end of year can be crazy!!! Thanks.
JanetS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.