Seed-saving newbie with question....

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I plan on collecting seeds from my garden this year (perennials and annuals). I am in zone 5. When do I start them? Next year? With the perennial seed, should I leave them in a cold place until spring? Can the annual seed stay at room temp? I just got collected some columbine seed today (I know they may differ from the parent plant and that's okay). Do I just stick them in a bag? Tamara

Danville, VA(Zone 7b)

Tamara, most people use those little ziplock bags that you can get at walmart in the arts and craft area. They are about 3x1 1/2. and I keep mine in the frig. in the bottom. Mine seem to do well.

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

Let them dry further on a plate (ceramic, tin, paper) for a few days before packing them in plastic. The last thing you want is moldy seed. Freshly collected seeds still contain considerable moisture. Cool and dry are the best storage conditions. The bottom of the fridge or freezer is fine as long as the seed is dry.
I use either paper packed in glass or glass for seed storage. Plastic creates static here and small seeds tend to stick to the sides of the baggie. What a pain to deal with!!

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Most of the seed I collect gets dried out indoors on a plate, then just stuffed into paper envelopes that are sealed and labeled. Works for me. Sometimes I save them in glass jars. Room temperature, or in a rubbermaid in the basement. Special requirement seeds might need different treatment, but so far I just save the easy stuff..

Columbine and morning glory grandpa otts reseed for me outdoors with no further care except to leave the seed branches where I want next years plants. Also lettuce, siberian iris, arugula, dill, red orach spinach, bronze fennel, sunflowers, and cleome....
Marigold and zinnia seed I bring indoors, however.

This message was edited Jul 9, 2005 10:39 AM

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

caron,
Woodland Park CO rings a bell for me - is it near Evergreen, outside of Denver? Or is it the one up in the mountains? I lived in CO many moons ago...A lot of nice memories from there.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

thanks for the info, it's near seed-saving time!

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

Woodland Park is the one in the mountains just west of Co. Springs on the way to Cripple Creek.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

caron, I see you are in the same zone as I am here in Iowa. Yeah, I lived west of Colorado Springs too, near the road that goes up to Pikes Peak. LOOOOONG time ago......(you remember the song, "where have all the flowers gone.....")?

So what kind of things do you or would you like to grow in your garden?

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

I'm going to revive this thread to add to the question:

I also began collecting various seeds this year, and I've received some through DG. I've read a couple of you say that you keep seeds in the refrigerator. Is this safe for all seeds? Better than keeping them at room temp (or a "cool" place in the house)?

Thanks!
--Dana

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Everyone has their own system...experienced seed savers will all have their little tricks. Moisture and temp fluctuations are your two biggest enemies. The less that you can have of both, the more successful you'll be.

I simply use a closet that isn't as cram packed full as the rest of mine are...rubbermaid bins and silica gel. Paper envelopes (coin type) and the darkness of the closet...seeds like it dark.

We keep our house the same temp winter or summer and have a dehumidifier. My husband collects acoustic guitars and some are worth more than my car....we keep the house comfortable for the guitars...it also happens to be good for seeds too.

Depending on what part of the country you are in, will depend on the humidity conditions in your house...Caron in CO, will have very different indoor conditions than I do...despite our best efforts, humidity rarely falls below 40% in the house....but as it is almost always above 80% outside (even in the winter), that's pretty good. The silica gel and the sealed containers help with another 15-20%

The fridge may be a better choice logically for me, but I've gotten used to doing it this way, and my seeds stay viable for years.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Great info-- thank you very much!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.