Nesting Birds on Three Rooker Bar

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

We often launch the boat in the Anclote River which runs down to the Gulf so there will be pictures from the river as well as the Three Rooker and Anclote Key.

We launched early and were able to watch some of the sunrise from the river

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The Anclote runs through Tarpon Springs, a Greek community that grew up around the sponge industry. The river is also home to a huge fleet of shrimpers and several 'deep sea' fishing boats

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Sunrise reflections on the river...this is a beautiful time of day.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Once we were on the island we walked the perimeter of the rookery to observe the different bird colonies.

These are Royal Tern, beautiful as well as comical...can't help but love these birds.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

On this trip many of the birds were staking territory and building nests. This Laughing Gull was on sentry duty...on one of the many palms downed in last years storms.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Roseate Spoonbills nest on Three Rooker but in an area of mangroves we can't walk or boat to.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Crows flock to the island during nesting and there is usually some type of scuffle between them and the nesters. The crows steal eggs and chicks from slow shore birds

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

American Oystercatcher being very wary of me. This is as close as I managed to get

ETS The Oystercatcher doesn't nest on this island but one a few miles south

This message was edited Jun 29, 2005 2:41 PM

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

A Reddish Egret collecting nesting material

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Posing for me. These birds are pretty calm and don't tend to get agitated when people are near.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

A pair fishing the edge of a tidal lagoon

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a baby Reddish Egret...the first I've ever seen...too bad I cut it's legs off in the picture but aren't they cute??

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Ibis are usually pretty calm too...alert and watchful but not alarmed.
Breeding plumage

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

On the nest. This one had a very small fuzzy baby but I missed the shot when she stood up...

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

White Ibis eggs. This and many other Ibis nests were in a huge Sea Grape bush

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

And a baby....Awww!

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

A Laughing Gull on her nest. They bend down the grasses and then weave in bits of seaweed and such to form a nest

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Laughing Gull eggs...

Thumbnail by Floridian
Modi'in, Israel

Stacey, I don't know if you're finished posting or not, but I just have to jump in here and say that .... well.....this time I don't know what to say. Each and every one of these pics is outstanding. My favorite of the first 3 landscapes is the third.....breathtaking photo! And I suppose if I had to choose a favorite bird it would be the first Redish Egret....the color is so lovely and muted :-). And if forced to choose a favorite photo overall, it would have to be the mama Ibis on her nest....such a serene and maternal look on her face (yes, I know I'm anthropomorphizing here, but I can't help it!). Thanks so much for brightening my evening with these photos! I am, yet again, totally in awe of you and your camera.

-Julie

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Now some shots around the island

From the south end you can (almost) see the Black Skimmer colony on the right, up beyond the lagoon and rookery signs

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Lots of terns and gulls on the beach just outside rookery

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Strange things wash up on the beach. This is some sort of egg case, probably from one of the conchs.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

One of the many varieties of sponge that wash up, especially after a storm rolls through

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The egg case of a Lightning Whelk. This one was several feet long

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Our ride to and from the island...my brother drops us off, goes fishing, then comes back to get us

Thumbnail by Floridian
Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

What a wonderful photo, trip. Its better than Discovery Channel. I got so relaxed just drifting along... thanks

Viv

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Two weeks later we were back on the island

Now there are baby Royal Terns milling around between the adults

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Vizz!

The tern colony is truly communal with all adults watching all the babies

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Another sort of comical bird...the Black Skimmer spends a lot of time warning us away. The long bottom bill is used for skimming the surface of the water to catch little fish

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

If the verbal warnings don't work they try to lure us away from their nesting area with the wounded bird act...

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I just love to watch them do this...they remind me of a big bellied cargo plane that's landed with no landing gear

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Skimmers don't build nests, they simply scoop out the sand and lay their eggs

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's one sitting on eggs...

More later....

This message was edited Jun 29, 2005 4:31 PM

Thumbnail by Floridian
Modi'in, Israel

More wonderful shots Stacey, but those Skimmer shots are great - and the first three of them are comical as well :-). Thank you again for sharing your lovely photos :-)

-Julie

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Super, Stacey. I'll hafta put this place on my birding list. Is this on the west coast or the panhandle? (I visit both) Just great pics-what can I say. They inspire me to go birding!

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

More great photos Stacey, I love the skimmers. That os one bird that I have long wanted to see. One day!!!!!

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

I so enjoy seeing Gods creatures from around the world. Thanks Stacey!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Julie, you always say such nice things...*Ü* Thanks!

Boojum, when will you be here? I'll be happy to set up a tour of some of the islands as long as the weather cooperates. We're on the west coast...most of the islands I post here are barrier islands of Pinellas County. That's the little penninsula about midway down the west coast.

You too Ken...

Tigerlily, that's why I spend most of my DG time in Wildlife. We get to see and share so many neat creatures.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Great photos!! I enjoyed them all!! Love the pic of the baby Ibis and the skimmer, Aw heck, I just love 'All' the pics!! Thanks so much for posting them!!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Stacey, as always, love your photos!

Julie, glad to know someone else who uses "anthropomorphizing" LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.