What are you doing to fight Japanese beetles?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

For most pests I can find an organic solution to restore balance, but the Japanese beatles are back and nothing is working very well. I'm getting one good show out of my roses before they emerge and the rest of the summer watch the roses grow beautifully and produce lots of flowers, but I don't get to see any of them. I've been using a lot more 1 time blooming, old fashioned roses, but would love to smell one of my D.Austins from time to time this summer! I've been using neem, cayenne, garlic, and soap and am going to try pyrethrine today. Any guidance any of you can offer would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance, Neal.

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

It is very, very discouraging to deal with Rose Chafers and now those *Bleepin* Japanese Beetles when you have 100 + roses like me.
I have found no natural methods that works and traps are reported to lure more in. Hand picking is impossible due to the high numbers. I'd be out there all day. I tried the banana, yeast and water trap somebody here suggested and it didn't work for me. I think about all one can do is try to kill the grubs pre-emergence. Milky Spore perhaps but unless everybody within a 10 mile radius does the same thing you will still get them.
Its enough to make me cry.

I just remembered I was meaning to read this article I had spotted recently on Great Lakes Roses website.
Some good news afterall from Nancy Lindley of Great Lakes Roses!

"The Japanese beetle problem is solved…almost"!

As a rose gardener in Michigan, you know the terrible devastation that Japanese beetles can wreak upon home landscapes. I’m happy to tell you that we are very close to defeating this infernal pest and, with a little help from you and your friends, we can very soon claim victory. Let me explain (and I’ll be brief).

Dr. David Smitley, an entomologist at Michigan State University, has been conducting research and writing papers over the past six years on controlling the spread of Japanese beetles in Michigan. His studies have shown that Japanese beetles can be controlled naturally by introducing the parasites Tiphia vernalis and Istocheta sp. and the pathogens (diseases) Ovavesicula popilliae and Stictospora villan to fields and gardens throughout the state.

Simply put, these parasites and pathogens are natural enemies of Japanese beetles and will attack, infect and destroy grubs before they reach the adult stage and begin ravaging rose gardens, trees, shrubs and other greenery. These parasites and pathogens have no adverse effects on the environment. And no damaging insecticides are needed.

It is these same parasites and pathogens that are believed to be controlling Japanese beetles in Massachusetts and Connecticut, where Japanese beetle is now hard to find in some areas. And they are apparently successful in their native habitat: Japan, where Japanese beetle is scarce.

That’s the good news. Now for the bad news.

Grant funding for Japanese beetle ended 2 years ago and new funding went to other projects, like emerald ash borer. Now Dr. Smitley would like to return to the original sites and sample for Japanese beetle larvae and the introduced parasites and pathogens. By comparing the number of Japanese beetle at golf courses where the natural enemies were introduced with golf course control sites where they were not introduced, he’ll be able to evaluate how successful the introductions were, and the impact they are having on Japanese beetles in Michigan.

He had hoped to invite MSU Extension agents from throughout the state to collect these natural enemies from his original test sites and take them back to their own County. Home gardeners like you could see a decrease in the damage caused by Japanese beetles as these natural controls “take hold” in your neighborhood.

In terms of dollars, he needs $10,000 for this year to follow-up on the original test sites.

Yes, just $10,000 is needed for Dr. Smitley to determine which of the original introduction sites are best for collecting infected grubs and distributing them throughout our state. That’s where your help is needed. With a very small, tax-deductible (state and federal, please confirm with your tax advisor or accountant) donation from you and your friends, we can push Dr. Smitley’s valuable work ahead for this year. That way, in the future, we may be able to enjoy our lovely gardens without fear of walking outside one summer morning and finding these pests feasting on our beautiful blooms and destroying our beloved roses.

Could you please ask each of gardening buddies to make a small donation? A $50, $25 or even a $10 contribution can have an enormous impact on this project. And it will be going toward a cause that will certainly benefit all of us greatly, right now and over time. I hope, too, that your garden club is able to make a more significant donation – such as $100, $250 or even $500 – to further Dr. Smitley’s work.

Checks should be payable to Michigan State University, and sent to Dr. David Smitley, Department of Entomology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824. Please include a return address, and specify that the money is to be used for the Japanese beetle project. In return, Dr. Smitley will send a letter acknowledging your thoughtful donation and thanking you for your generosity. You will also receive a research report a year from now, letting you know about what was accomplished in 2005.

I’d be especially grateful if you could include a copy of this letter in your garden club newsletter. Just send me an email if your editor would like my appeal as a Word or RTF document.

Meanwhile, I’ll take this opportunity now to thank you in advance for your consideration and wonderful generosity. You know as well as I do that this small step offers huge rewards for every gardener and homeowner in Michigan.

Sincerely,

Nancy Lindley

Author, Roses for Michigan

Owner, Great Lakes Roses

P.O. Box 65

Belleville, MI 48112-0065

Email: Nancy@GreatLakesRoses.com

Phone: 734-461-1230

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks CottageRose. There is hope at least. My next step is the grotesque recipe of grinding a bunch of beatles in the blender, straining and spraying. It makes sense that the smell of their own carnage may drive them away. Getting my order for milky spore sent out in the next couple of days to; hoping getting rid of the grubs will help my mole problem to.

Interesting thing I noticed in the garden; I added 14 new roses from Chamblees this spring (3 Austins,11 heirlooms) and none of them have been bothered. Tess of the d'Urbervilles and Portmeirion have their first blooms and neither has been muched. Cl. New Dawn has an untouched bloom also. Knock on wood!

We live next to a golf course and the grounds keeper told us he puts Merit down to kill the grubs and wa-la no more moles. I think they all came over here....really.
I doubt the pureed beetles will work but have fun anyway. (yuk) ;-)

This message was edited Jun 30, 2005 9:01 AM

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm also considering a recipe that uses nicotine as an insecticide. It said to save cigarette butts and soak them overnight in water, strain and spray.

Cottage Rose, how are you dealing with the moles? They're driving me nuts to. My dog gets quite a few of them, but I'm still out in the garden tamping the earth back down every other day or so.

They drive us nuts too. We have tried pellets and traps. Neither seem to work that well. Once in awhile my husband will see a tunnel moving and manages to get one but who has time to watch mole tunnels all day? Main thing is to get rid of the grubs and I just read July 1 - 15 is the time to put Merit (Bayer) or Milkyspore down to kill 2006 grubs.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I finally broke down and used Liquid Sevin this year. :( My weeping cherry perished last year due to the blasted things! It was my favorite and a tree I had wanted for years! Last year all I did was pick them off and submerse them in soapy water. Couldn't keep up.

One thing I have been doing this year in addition which is actually FUN if you hate them as much as I do. Go out in your garden with your long, grill lighter. Set them on fire! They don't really burn but do make noises! Never thought I would ever enjoy something like that but yet there I am every afternoon burning the buggers!!!

Nicole

somewhere, PA

Anyone try neem oil? I got some from Gardens Alive - we just got our
first beetles this week so I'm going to try it now.

I won't use Sevin but I have used Bayer Rose & Flower Insect Killer in desperation as well. The main ingrediant is Merit which is also used in dog and flea products. Its the least toxic smelling chemical I have ever used. I don't like using it but with 100+ roses I have no choice. I will have to attempt the Milky Spore and natural preditor route for 2006.
I tried Neem and so far its hasn't worked not even as an antifungal and I've got the 100% Neem concentrate.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

ncgardenaddict, that cracked me up! I bet you had a mad grin as each beatle popped! It's kind of funny how peace-loving gardeners turn into soldiers at war against enemy combatants! Last night maniacal laughter echoed through the garden as I dropped beatles into a can of vegetable oil. I may have to try the flame-thrower to!

Still not willing to try chemical warfare yet though. I live way back in the woods and have so many wonderful butterflies and birds, I can't stand the thought of accidentally harming the good critters.

Neem seems to work fairly well for me for aphids and catapillars. It seems to help with powdery mildew and as preventative for other fungal diseases on my roses, but not as a cure.

sage I know that you cannot "cure" bs or mildew but I sprayed a couple weeks ago when there were no signs.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

The J.B.s are all over my trellised beans and the sunflower house. I've hand picked about 150 today. I drop them into a narrow-necked glass jar with a little water (no soap) in the bottom, shake it periodically to keep em down, and then feed them to my chickens, who are only too happy to help.

Trying to avoid getting a trap, but it's getting discouraging seeing the defoliation of these leaves. urgh. Maybe I'll try the shop vac, but a tender bean vine probably can't take it.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Ohhh Gemini, you just gave me an idea!! Cover them with oil THEN light em!!!! HA HA!! Course I may actually hurt my plants that way but it would still be 'er satisfying!!

Nicole

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

This won't help you this year, but it seems that 4 O'Clocks can be devastating to Japanese Beetles... http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/269462/

I was doing a search for another pest when I stumbled upon this one, so I thought I'd share. :)

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I read that recently about 4 o'clocks. It sure won't hurt to sow a row of those next year. I read the same thing about larkspur, that the JBs eat them and are poisoned. I love those to, so a great excuse to devote some of my sunny area to them!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Progress report! I'm not sure which aspect of this routine is giving me results, but I'm seeing major success. I've been hand collecting the beatles every morning and evening(well, almost) and dropping them in a coffee can of soapy water. It seems removing the females that release pheromones is keeping so many from being drawn in to that plant, so I immediately saw a decline in the number of beatles. After 3-5 days of collecting, I pour the smelly dead beatles and soapy water just outside the rose border. The first time I only had enough to pour a line in front of 1/2 the rose border, and after a couple of days noticed the roses by the nasty bug juice had no beatles, but the roses without had a few.

I could'nt bring myself to ruin a blender with the bug puree. They smell so awful I would'nt bring them in the house! So dead bug tea instead. I have a beatle trap and empty it into the can as well.

So this year I'm seeing roses! Sure, some of the blooms are marred, but I'm seeing blooms! And some are untouched. Last year I saw no blooms after the first flush, even though lots were produced. Good luck to all, Neal.

I was pretty excited when I read your post Neal but I tried it and so far it doesn't seem to faze the JB here. :( WAAA!

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Japanese Beetle Control http://www.ghorganics.com/JapaneseBeetle.html

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? -Albert Einstein

~* Robin

Updated: 03/20/05

This message was edited Jul 21, 2005 3:34 PM

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10a)

I had a bad infestation of Japanese beetles that I picked up from some city compost when I lived in Philadelphia. I had masses of writhing grubs in the fall and holes all over everything with a leaf in the summer. I bought beneficial nematodes from "Gardens Alive". Within two years, all of the beetles were gone. Was it the nematodes?? Not totally sure but I would definitely recommend trying it.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

here is a post from the classic thread (link above)

"I mix up a brew of 1 gallon water, 1 Tablespoon of Murphy's Oil Soap and 1 Tablespoon mouthwash. Pour some into a spray bottle and zap the Japanese Beetles. You have to do it every day, spraying each beetle, but it sure gets rid of them. It works on pretty much any pesky muncher. The oil smothers them. The mouthwash acts as a disinfectant, so you can use it on some diseases, too. It's safe for you, your plants, pets, and kids. I've also used it to spray the holes of carpenter bees. They're not too keen on coming back to an oil-coated spot.

BTW, don't think more is better. Too much soap or mouthwash can kill your plants."

worth a try. i have seen two in the last two days, only killed one, so they are coming in, & i will try to be ready.

next year i will plant plenty of 4:00s!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Two japanese beetles in two days! My lord, that sounds wonderful. I have about three million. And they are just about done eating all the okra...

I'll try the spray.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.