White Spotted Calla Lily - Hardy to 7B????

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I believe this is a Spotted-leaved White Arum, White Spotted Calla Lily Zantedeschia albomaculata.

It was in a pot on the porch one summer but died during the winter. The next spring I dumped all the old potting soil into my flower bed never realizing that there were also healthy bulbs. This Lily has been in my flower bed for 3 years and is about 3.5 ft tall but everything I read says it is not hardy???

Do I have the wrong name?? Does anyone have any additional information?

Judy

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I suppose I should post this on another forum???

Judy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

that's a good question, I planted mine outside this year too, and we'll see if they come back cause i'm not diggin them up this fall LOL. I don't think mine are spotted though, just white, the guy I bought them from said they were hardy. I'm planting all my callas in the ground as well, I have quite a few colors and some that I forgot to dig up last year came back, and we got down to l2 degrees once this winter, so I guess they'll be ok outside this winter. Here's to hoping though !

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

My colored ones didn't come back, but they were in pots outside.

Judy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, I know for sure they won't come back if their in pots, i've done that myself. I do have colored ones in the ground that came back from last year. No bulb I grow in pots will come back the next year, I guess it's not enough protection, no daff, tulip, anything.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

This crazy Calla Lily did, that's why it's so interesting.

Did you mulch them heavily??

Judy

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey sweetie,
Yes there are hardy to zone 7b. I have them plus several other types of Callas and all are in the ground. They are very prolific here. Mine come up from seed every year as well. I need to thin them out!
Janet

Thumbnail by JanetS
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Janet,

Great looking bed!! Thanks for the info.

Judy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Those are beautiful janet, I didn't mulch them last year, but I might this year with all the colors that I have to put in the ground,

flame, lavender, yellow, blush.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Kathy,

Sounds wonderful!!

I'm pouting because mine got so big and heavy with blooms, they fell over. They aren't suppose to do that.

Judy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Mine do that too, in fact everything that's even half way tall gets blown over by the wind, it's discusting to say the least, we had a well needed rain the other day and along with that came the winds, and all my hibsicus , holly hocks and lots of other plants were laid over, just makes me cringe LOL

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

We're having some wild weather, aren't we!!!

Judy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

yeah, we are,

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I think callas may be hardier than previously known. I know 2 gargeners here in zone 6 that have had callas overwinter for the last 3 years without extra mulch or protection. Janet, that mass of callas is beautiful! The pink you sent me has its 4th bloom and looks like porcelain-I love it! My white ones are just budding and I just planted an orange one (from the reduced shelf at Lowes) and a couple of mini white ones (leftover from Mother's day from the flower shop where I work). Here we go, another addiction!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

your discription o f the callas gemini is perfect, porcelain, that fits all of them to a tee. their so perfect in every way, and look almost fake.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.