Tomato Contest - Growing Pictures and Chat (Part II)

SE GA, GA(Zone 8a)

The original thread on this topic was becoming very long and slow to load so I started a new edition.

Aubrey

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Aubrey for starting a Part II of this.

San Jacinto County, TX(Zone 8a)

I have really enjoyed part 1....
Today we continue seeding a few hundred more maters for tha fall.
-
Going to lean on bush because its to darn hot to drive 6' T-post.
Of course when it picking time tha old back will complain, why arn't they tied up.
Oh well, gotta ta have me maters lol.........

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

noobie - take it easy? Impossible, still have work to do in the garden, lol Where did you get p ivy wipes?! Maybe I need to invest in some. Got the place going on 4 yrs ago... got p oak/ivy (have both, oh joy!) 4 times so far - here! Learned my lesson when got p ivy in TX (for 6 wks) ALWAYS get RX! P oak was so bad in NY had scars for yrs, finally hard to see, after almost 9 yrs.

Mosquito bites are pretty impt, due to the West Nile Virus... non-existent couple yrs ago, prevalant today! so be careful!

Something (deer? up too high for rabbits, but possibly groundhog on rear feet) got the mulberry... The "IL Everbearing" graft didn't make it from last yr, but decided to let the mulberry rootstock (what kind? don't know!) go... well, they ate half the new leaves.

Haven't seen evidence of the deer for about 4 wks. And they didn't touch the fruit trees this time, so not sure just who/what is responsible.

Grrrr Arrrrrg ~ Suzi :| (no smile about that!)
==========================================

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

*bump*

Hey folks, how are things growing? Who has pictures of their contest maters?

I just have blooms at the moment, but if any of the fused ones that I have develop at all, I'm going to have some serious monster maters!

Rhonda

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Rhonda, what do you mean fused? I have one tomato plant that has these weird blooms that look like double blooms fused together. Is that what you mean? I need to take a picture and post it. Didn't know if it would make a mater or not. Since it is so incredibly hot and humid, not sure if anything will turn to fruit right now.

Michelle

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

Yup, Michelle, that's exactly what I mean. I never had them before, but I've seen enough pictures of them to know what they are (and not panic! LOL!)

They can make some HUGE maters, and ugly to boot! ; )

Rhonda

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

OOPS! Make that have had this place almost 3 yrs... had poison oak/ivy 4 times. We have both, I am soooo blessed, ha ha. Hopefully didn't get it again today!!! It wouldn't let me edit.. Hope everyone is having a great holiday! ~ Suzi :)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Rhonda, on one of my plants, as i mentioned, there are several double/fused blooms. I had no clue why they were doing that, but just figured that the plant was "challenged". ;) I can't wait to see what my maters look like from that. Out of 11 Delicious mater plants, that is the only one doing the fused blossoms. I wonder why? any clue?

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

BriarRose,

I went to Rite Aid and bought this kit called IvyComplete. It has a bottle of IvyBlock lotion, which keeps you from getting poison ivy, oak, and sumac; it has IvyCleanse towelettes, which remove the oils that cause the rash, and IvySooth, which is 1% hydrocortisone cream. I used the wipes and the cream and it was gone in a couple of days. Now I put the lotion on whenever I have to cut back the new ivy, and I haven't even gotten so much as an itch!!!!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

PICTURES!!! I WANNA SEE PICTURES!!!!!!!

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

noobie,
Thanks! I just dressed up to go out and do hedges, where both p oak and ivy reside, yesterday. By the time I took off the plastic gloves, lots of water came out too... hands were wrinkled! Washed the laundry separately, and don't know yet if have p i/o. Still have RX left from couple months ago, just in case.

I know they make something to put on before you go where it is, and a lotion for putting on after you are in it... Will have to get the Ivy Complete to try it out, since obviously I am not getting rid of it completely, just yet!

Did find out a chemical that will get rid of it. Unfortunately, it comes in a 2-1/2 gal container. It is too expensive to buy and not use! Maybe I can find enough local peo that want to get in on it and can buy it. Don't want that much leftovers, would be here for 80 yrs!! Both my DB and DA are interested. Just for the pain and aggravation, it may be worth the expense! I could go on a rampage and spray all the P O/I for miles!!! Ha ha ha

Did find another chemical that will work, that sells by the gal. However, it also has broadleaf killer in it, and would kill any shrubs or young trees that it gets on. Although I don't care about the shrubs here, I couldn't use it at anyone else's house. ~ Suzi :)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Here are some of my green maters that I think is refusing to ripen in our 100+ daily heat. I sure wish they would b/c I am dying for one!

Thumbnail by Tomatoholic
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

here are my "twins". would love to sink my teeth into those babies!! But they are hardly growing. So does anyone know what happens to fruit that just sits there and never grows or ripens b/c of extreme daily heat?

Thumbnail by Tomatoholic
Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Wait and see !!!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

They're looking good, new! And your plants are certainly looking healthy! Are you having trouble with your flowers drying up before new tomatoes form?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

LOL Tplant we are female we have to wonder, doesn't mean we are gonna pick it.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Sequee, haha...healthy plants hu? Well I'm glad they "look" like it in the pictures. But actually, they are in bad shape. Curling up leaves and burned, crunchy new growth. I've been trying to shade them, but alas, it is just too doggone hot for my babies.

tplant, yes...I'm waiting and waiting and....yawn...waiting.... ;)

Saint, i promise I will not pick 'em. I sure am wondering tho. hehe. Oh, and I'm picking a lot of worms off the leaves...I think they are army worms? Do you think the bug-b-gone works on them? Or sevin dust? I'm opposed to non organic...so whatever works.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I'm not sure I think it depends on the worm but I'm pretty sure that my bug b gone said it worked for hornworms.

Tyler, TX(Zone 8a)

I planted a few maters in my garden and here is a shot of my Sweet 100 they sure have the maters on them. I think I have about 12 plants and more maters than I know what to do with

Thumbnail by arptiger
Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

Nice looking plants arptiger. Just keep a bowl of the ripe ones handy at all times. You will be amazed at how fast they will go. Send a box full of them up to Araness in Orange, she would love to have them to supplement her 1st year grower crop.. That is in state and I don't think you would run up against any agriculture shipping stuff like you would shipping out of state. I could be wrong on that. I think I'll hunt around the WEB and see what I can find.

San Jacinto County, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Sequee;
Here's a pic fer ya.

Hey newatplants;
Tomatoes are looking good!
-
Tplant got it rite:
"Wait and see !!!"
-
Mine are ripening in this heat.
Finally got rain 1.1 and then 1/4 inch

My different maters are irritated.
This morn after tha 1/4 you could see the steam rising.
Looked like fog!

My little red-pear has blown up. Thousands of them little fellows!
Celebritys, Goliath, are cracking and tha Delicious are gone!
Got 25 pounds taday.
-
Before tha rain got 95 pounds.
As I said they are acting right, even with our heat.
Several days has been in tha hundreds, not counting index.

I have tamaters planted in some shade
and jus seeded several hundred for later.

I am commercial ya know!
Not ta say I don't come first.
Once again Tplant got it right.
-
Room temperature is great if not best!
Ate one from tha garden after a couple of hours in tha A/C.
Then one from tha frig picked yesterday.
Had to eat another from taday. Better!

Yesterday we had grandkids over.
Got one born Feb 9th 04. Ruining him best I can.
My BD is 2/10 turned 70 this year and I be's heah ta tell ya.
Life is good!

Much of my original garden is gone.
Different planting dates works for me.
Some is good!
-
Picked fresh purple hull peas tonight after tha sun went down.
An area I block planted!
Heck, don't get dark here till around 9:00.

Added a little fresh cut okra to it and baked corn bread with peppers in it.
Later, after while I'll most likely do buttermilk and cornbread.

Country I am!
Gardening is credited to many relatives and my always wanting to know.
I appreciate this board for the knowledge I accquire.
Tha teacher learns from?

My background says different but I live in a certain place.
A 1954 Spartan trailer built in Tulsa Ok.
8X42 lol I think!

One of my children says ta mesef, I'm not proud of you.
Ya make me look bad!
Haha, he can't grow anything..........

There are many here that can tell you much.
Details too!
I can't. I can show what I do. I can grow a garden!
-
Hot Pepper Dan
Mentioned my Kubota tractor as tha way ta go. Heck yeah!
Others think my Diesel Pickumup is great.
Money money!
Ha...................................
In my sixties before I got either one!

Lost everything I had after a bad accident.
Broken back, neck, and other worlds of hurt!

Hey, that was many years ago.
I went back to gardening and, its greater than good lol.
-
Tplant got it right!
Don't give up....................

Hey arptiger,
Like kingedking says:
"Send a box full of them up to Araness in Orange"

Up is right for your area. Down is right for arptiger.
Over is right for me.
I'm watching that women Saint.
Others too!
-
If I run out of salt shakers it'll be tha big boxes.
I sell tamaters at a dollar per pound even when its much more in tha store.
Friends eat till there hearts content for free.
Pinch a little salt from your hand.

I had fun with this post.
Thank you!

Thumbnail by heycharlie
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

LOL Charlie you are a mess! And you just wait I'll show up at your place one day and expect some dinner!

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey... I wonder if I can just in on the contest? I wasn't going to... but this little one seems to have real potential to be a biggie. This is a beefsteak tomato, I think it's a triple blossom.

Karen

Thumbnail by tripletmomma2K
Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Hey Karen - Are you trying to scare us out of the contest?!?! We shall see...

-Kim

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Here is one of my baby Omar's Lebanese. Wonder what he'll look like when he grows up, note the quarter on the stem. ;)

George

Thumbnail by Geo1ThiChi

Seeing all the photos of the lovely tomatoes on this forum has gotten me green with envy. Here is my garden after a very slow start. Can you see the tomato? It's about the size of a marble.

Thumbnail by elsie
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

nice stout plants!

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Elsie, good looking plants. What kind are they?

George

Thanks Araness and George. A thunderstorm last weekend flattened almost all of them.
They are:
Abe Lincoln
Akers WV
Azoychka
Big Beef
Creole
Druzba
Kelloggs Breakfast
Rutgers
Super Fantastic

I planted a Prudens Purple but it didn't make it.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Let me know how the creole does plz.. I've had mixed reviews and since this is a tomato that is perfect for my part of the country )loves hot & humid) I'd like as much info as I can get.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

HeyCharlie, Good post and 5 lovely tomatoes in your photos.

It is raining here which is unusual, especially since it rained lightly yesterday afternoon for 3 hours.

I am having really difficult time posting photos, takes 6 to 8 min. to download one photo. Driving me crazy. Here is a photo I took yesterday of a green, not showing any sign of gold color yet of Yellow Giant Belgium, it is more than 6" in diameter. Hope nothing happens to it before it ripens. I have eaten my first large ripe tomato from Sophies Choice plant. DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive
Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Here's the newest picture of my "triplet" tomato (I've got em in my house... why not in my garden too?!?

Thumbnail by tripletmomma2K
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Looks like we've got competition, Donna! Nice 'mater.

Try cutting down on the image size of your photos, they'll load faster. You can do this in Photo Shop, etc.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Is 36K too big? I thought it was pretty small. I actually use Image Ready with Photoshop CS (I'm a Graphic Designer/Layout Artist) and save them as "medium" quality JPGS... but, they are 10" wide. (which is awesome considering they are 36K) How about I drop them down to 5" wide for the forum? I don't want to be a thorn. :)

Karen

oops... perhaps you weren't talking to me?!

This message was edited Jul 17, 2005 7:32 PM

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Tripletmomma2k,
I hope you don't cut yours down any further, as it is the perfect size already!! There are some photos on Dave's, that even after clicking on to enlarge, are barely larger and so small that I still cannot see them!! ~ Suzi :)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey Karen, I used to work in advertising...so I would imagine as a graphic designer you know exactly what to do. 72dpi is best and that looks like what you have done. Nice maters by the way. I have a couple of double fused ones that are starting to set fruit now that we have gotten rain and it has only been up to 95 instead of 105 this last week. praise the Lord!
Michelle

Greenfield, MA(Zone 5b)

Alrighty folks, This one probably isn't big enough to be a winner, but I thought I'd share it with y'all :)
It's a 2.2 lb. Kellogg's Breakfast. The first one of the season too!

Thumbnail by davepays
Greenfield, MA(Zone 5b)

and the bottom

Thumbnail by davepays
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

YeeeeeeHAAAA!

That is one mighty fine lookin' tomato, Dave!

Congrats, and pass the mayo... :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.