Miniature Gardens

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Hi, this is my first venture into this forum; I am exploring the idea of miniature gardens / landscapes. I thought maybe this would be an appropriate forum. I want something that will overwinter where it is - not in a container, and I thought I would use small conifers (replacing as they grow too large) and create various scenes with miniature plants and props. Any one here do this, or is this strictly a forum for conisseurs (can't even sp. it, so you know I'm not one!) of alpine plants?

Scotland, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Hi Caitlin
Welcome to DG's, I'm also new but everyone here is just so friendly and helpful, I'm sure you'll just love it in here!! If I can do anything at all to be of help, please give me a shout!

I'm just starting a miniature garden myself, so I look on with anticipation. My husband has created a big stone tub for me and I'm now working out the plants that I want to use...so far I know I want some mini irises and mini hostas but have no real plan as yet. I'm sure that there are others here who will have lots of information and advice...we can't be the only ones interested in doing this :o)

Have fun in the forums as well as the garden! Take care!

Warmest Wishes
Shelley

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

hi, c.,

Everyone here is most interested in new information and curious about everyone's garden projects.

So, I 'm sure you'll find out lots of good sources and ideas for your miniature garden.

I know next to nothing about alpine plants and rock gardens and am always asking questions about things related to rocks, small plants, and rock gardens, and not especially of the 'alpinus' kind...Just reading through the threads has taught me a lot about small plants.

t. (-:

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi, Caitlin and Shelley. Welcome and please don't be intimidated. Many of the regulars in this forum, including me, are growing alpines for the first time this year. We definitely are not snobs or connoisseurs. Todd Boland is our resident expert and a veritable font of useful information.

A few months ago, I ran across a wonderful thread somewhere in DG (I don't even remember which forum it was) about miniature gardens, with pictures of a highly elaborate one that someone had made, complete with a tiny Japanese lantern and bench. Unless I'm mistaken, I think the pictures were imported from some other gardening site. I forget the name, but it's famous for redirecting you to the Disneyland Website if you irritate the administrator there. Have you seen that thread? I hope so, because I don't have any idea how I could find it again for you.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Hi Sassy, Tobasco and Zuzu,
Nice to meet all of you!

I think you are referring to gardenweb, Zuzu? I don't usually like to go here because of all the ding blasted flashing ads, but I will check it out for miniature gardens. You know, I have always lived miniature things, and the idea of miniature gardens is like a return to that realm of child-like wonder!

I went to the assisted gardening site for the first time yesterday, and was thinking that miniature gardens, or small elevated garden beds that you could reach and care for from a wheel chair would be great if you were not able to tackle regular garden plots. Can't you just see special wheelchair walkways lined with elevated miniature garden beds?

There are small irises that I am just starting to collect - these would be good in beds like this too.
The iris forum discusses these.

I guess the rock/alpine forum would be as good a place as any to explore this theme? Lets collect and share ideas on this subject!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Caitlin and Shelley,

I am so glad to meet you both!! Welcome to this forum, and we are most interested in most anything garden-related!! I will watch with eager anticipation any info and/or pics you can share of your new Miniature garden....what a neat new project...;o)

Happy Gardening!!

Jamie

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

hi caitlin-- there's a book that i got recently that's pretty neat- it's called "gardening on pavement, tables, and hard surfaces" by george schenk. especially the table gardens are just wonderful- real miniature worlds, like you were saying. g. schenk is known for his fantastic moss gardens- and this is a new twist- it's a timber press book- (they have a website) you might find it inspiring-- he basically tells his readers to just get in there and try it!! so.......you go girl!! sarah

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Caitlin, if you haven't already run across it, look up Iris Suaveolens. It is a true mini. Mine is about 2 inches tall until it blooms, at which point the huge blooms take it up to 4 or 5 inches. It's very, very pretty.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Hi Jamie and Sarah,

Yes I definately will look up that book. Thanks!

Zuzu, That must be the one I saw on a list of small irises and thought it was a typo - it said height 5 inches...

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Caitlin, it was not a typo. Here's a picture of mine when it's not in bloom. I set my lighter (standard-sized disposable lighter, the only thing in my pocket that could serve as a "universal" unit of measurement) next to it to show you how tiny it is.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's the same lighter next to my gorgeous little azalea.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Wow Zuzu! I knew there was someone here from Sebastpol, CA. Yesterday I googled hardy miniature plants, and found www.miniplantkingdom in your city. Ever been there? I am looking for zone 4 things, and have just started to check out their site! They say they have 300,000 plants....

One could also use mini gardens as a place to shelter small transplants till they grow larger. I just found some "mini irises" when I was weeding yesterday. They could always be moved up in the world as they grow.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

caitlin--did you see the miniature garden threads in the container garden forum--some are really cute and good for ideas...I'm glad you like the miniplantkingdom site. Lots of fun there.

also, I wonder if there are any Model Rail Road gardeners around...
not that it has anything to do with Rock Gardens (or does it?)... but I saw an article in the newspaper about how that miniature hobby is becoming so popular...

t.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Caitlin, it is the most amazing place. Tables and tables and tables of tiny plants as far as the eye can see. It's so much fun. That's where I got my iris and azalea. The owner also has a beautifully landscaped miniature railroad town, Tabasco.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Zuzu, do they have miniatures also - like little arbors, doll house type of stuff?

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

That I don't know, Caitlin. I didn't see any, but I wasn't looking for any, so I may have just missed them. It's a pretty big place and I was focusing on plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.