Viburnum

Mandeville, LA

Do you know of a good book on Viburnum? I have been looking for years! I fell in love with Viburnums years ago and have wanted a book ever since. I'm starting to think I will need to write one myself!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

I will be first in line to buy it if you do write one...LOL ;o) I am actually an avid reader of garden books, and have never come across one on Viburnum....I will do some checking....

Jamie
ps....my favorite Viburnum plicatum 'Kerns Pink'

Thumbnail by jamie68
Mandeville, LA

How lovely! I wish I knew how to upload my pictures so that I could share my viburnums!

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

Kathryn127, Are you at all familiar with Michael Dirr's work? He writes on woodland plants, and there is a CD-ROM kit available on viburnums from Amazon that he created. One of his books is a top 20 on the Garden Bookworm sections if you aren't familiar with him. I was reading through some old articles about Dirr, and it seems as if he originally planned the viburnum project as a book. Unfortunately the book either isn't finished yet, or he decided to convert it into the CD project, which is kind of a pity, because it seems mainly to be just taxonomy and photos, and he would have written a great book. It could be a good research tool for you if you are planning to write a book. You might even want to try giving his office at the University of Georgia a call to find out what the status of the project is. I have the phone number (I've never called him) available and I'd be happy to give it to you over Dmail if you would like. He used to have a really good website called Noble Plants, but it has been down for some time now. Good luck with your research and I'd be happy to help you track him down!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I know of a good book on viburnum. It is never far from arm's reach, especially when it's cold and blustery outside.

Viburnum, by Lloyd Kenyon (The National Council for the Conservation of Plants and Gardens, National Plant Collection Holder) is a fine albeit small text of about 85 pages published in the United Kingdom for about L7 (seven pounds; under $15 US).

Mr. Kenyon (though he might be a Lord) has quite the collection of plants, and in not too long a time which holds out hope for the rest of us viburnumophiles. This book brings together descriptions of species from around the world, along with some photographs. It is by no means comprehensive in the sense of listing and evaluating every known cultivar/clone, but it's the best thing I've come across so far for the average gardener to appreciate the differences and similarities across the genus. I've given it as gifts to other unreconstructed viburnum-oholics.

I agree with Greg above; Mike Dirr's texts/CDs have the best information to be had "on the street" as it were. Having made his acquaintance as well, I know that there is always another book bubbling under the surface with him, and others of his ilk like nurseryman Don Shadow of Tennessee (excellent purveyor of viburnum) and Dr. Paul Cappiello, director of Yew Dell Gardens in Crestwood, KY. These last two recently partnered on the new text on dogwoods which was released to much fanfare. Maybe that's why they haven't gotten around to viburnums yet.

One last note: for those who don't know the name Dr. Donald Egolf. Now deceased, he was the pre-eminent U.S. National Arboretum (USDA?) researcher and hybridizer of the viburnums now known so well amongst fanciers and average gardeners seeking a plant for their yard. If it has a native American tribal name, Don Egolf probably grew, named, selected, and released it for posterity. Shasta, Shoshoni, Eskimo, Chesapeake, Conoy, Mohawk, Mohican, Catskill, Erie, Iroquois are but a few of the viburnums released by the USNA due to Dr. Egolf's efforts.

I look forward to posting (and reading more posts!) on viburnums here at DG.

This image (left to right) shows V. x juddii, V. x 'Cayuga', and V. x 'Eskimo', the latter two USNA products.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Eau Claire, WI

ViburnumValley,

Why don't you and Kevin collaborate on a book covering Viburnums? It seems that both of you know more than any human should about these plants. Sternberg & Wilson, Shadow & Cappiello, ViburnumValley & Kevin! May I suggest it be a users manual for Viburnums, filled with practical growing tips, bloom times, pollination partners, etc. It may be a flop but the book signing party could be a lot of fun. ;)

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I too, think the book idea is great.
I'd like to author a book on cemetery trees and plants perhaps someday.
Cemeteries' tree and plant life is just generally so pleasing, so diverse, mature and well manicured.

Its real nice to see the familiar names that continue to migrate to DG. You have joined a good group of friends with similar interests.

Will

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Will, I would love to read your cemetery book! Let me know if you want any help -- I haunt cemeteries too.
Guy S.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hey, thanks Guy! Maybe I'll take you up on that some year!
I have a cemetery in mind that is about ideal.
I go thru there sometimes (like Sunday, well I went to get Tulip-tree seeds too) just to see the sights.

Will

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

shortleaf, great idea for a book! Some of the specimens found in cemeteries are outstanding. We toured Cave Hill Cemetery in Louisville, KY last fall as part of the SNA Plant Conference. This place was incredible! We were fortunate enough to get on the "right" bus - our tour guide was none other than Michael Dirr (pink shirt and hat standing at the base of this monster)

Thumbnail by rcn48

rcn48:

Tell the assembled masses about that "monster" you were standing under, with the likes of Mike Dirr, Mike Hayman, Paul Cappiello, Win Dunwell, Leslie Pancratz, Bob Hill, Tony Nold (I bet I could make out a few more if I squinted hard enough). It is one of the finest of its kind in the region.

What happened to the poor SNA attendees on the "wrong" bus? Condemned to tour around seeing Lonicera maackii and Ligustrum vulgare? I heard the other tour guides ran circles around the....shall we say "aged"....group leaders. At least the weather was nice...hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Louisville as much.

Cave Hill Cemetery in Louisville is an incredible site indeed. One of three major cemeteries in the Ohio River valley area laid out in the rural landscape style circa 1850 (Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati and Lexington Cemetery in Lexington KY are two others), its collection of plants is only rivaled by the serenity of the land upon which it lays and the timeless architecture of its monuments. One could pick a worse spot to visit and reflect.

Generations of students of plants and landscape architecture in KY and environs have benefited from this exceptional resource, and generations of interested plantspeople to come will also.

Shortleaf: your idea; you ought to kick off a new thread on the subject.

This message was edited Jan 9, 2006 6:51 AM

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is a picture of one of the many vibernum that I have in my yard. I have a vibernum carlesii that's 8 feet tall and that bloom' profusely. His frafrance is enjoyed by us and all our neighboors in the spring.When I was growing up my grand parents had vibernum's , the snowball type and they showed me how to propagate them they are so easy to do. I have at least 10 in my yard plus the many that I have given away thru time....

Thumbnail by orchidfancy
Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey guys..

I fell in love with the Doublefile http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2474/ last summer on accident. Now I can hardly wait for spring so I can put in another 4 or 5.

Any suggestions as to what might complement them?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the awsome Viburnum show! The world of Viburnums is big (and suprising there are'nt more books), and while I've always loved the many landscape uses they have, I've never grown any. I'm ordering my first this spring, a doublefile. And thanks to the still fairly new Lowes here, I'm confident I'll be adding several others soon :)
Neal

Thornton, IL

rcn48 - I am not worthy! You are so lucky, lucky, lucky to meet Mr. Dirr himself, he was one of my professor's professor's, LOL. Thanks for sharing.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

The "monster" looks like the big male ginkgo with one female branch -- do I win the prize?

(I was on one of those wonderful Cave Hill tours in 2000, with John S. and Mike H. and others.)

Guy S.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I always thought that "Snowball Bush" was a type of hydrangea, or am I confusing it with a hydrangea that also has that type of flower?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

There are both, snowball hydrangea, like 'Annabelle', and the viburnum like orchidfancy posted. The snowball viburnum has smaller "snowballs" but is a larger shrub. Before the blooms turn white, they are the loveliest shade of spring green, and so nice for cutting.
Neal.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks. The ones I remember from my parents property on Long Island, NY, had huge snowball flowers that started out pure white, & as the season progressed, ended up with a pinkish tinge to them. They were very popular in both fresh & dried arrangements (especially once Martha Stewart got started working with them - lol!!!).

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

the snowball bush that I have never blooms the same some years the balls are 8 inches wide some years only 4 or five , but they are always beautiful. toward the end of the blooming season before the florets fall off they have a tendency to turn to a blush on the edges.

Pennsauken, NJ(Zone 6b)

StarhillForest,

I thought that a Ginkgo too. I recall some very old Gingkos in Haddonfield, NJ years ago when I assisted my father over the summers with his landscaping business. But I've never in my life seen a Ginkgo whose habit was so broad as that picture.

What do you mean about one female branch?

Annie

Pennsauken, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am enthralled with Viburnum ...not that this means anything to anyone, but me...

Thanks all for the book reference and I'll be keeping my eyes open for the one being discussed in this forum.

Just bought my house a year ago and started a garden from scratch. Last season I put in:

V. burkwoodii x carlesii
V. lantana
V. plicatum -- t. 'Mariesii' although I absolutely will be looking out now for the 'Kerns Pink' posted above by jamie68. Just beautiful.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Annie, are those all fragrant varieties? I love 'em all, but especially those that make my nose happy.
Neal.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Annie,

There is an ancient male ginkgo at Cave Hill that started developing female flowers on one branch. Apparently some other old ginkgoes have been known to do that also, but I've never seen them. The tree in the photo looks like that ginkgo.

Some old ginkgoes also will develop what appear to be prop roots from the bases of lower limbs. They are very stout, seldom reach the ground (except on 1000-year-old trees in China), and are more like stalactites than anything else I can describe.

Guy S.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I just stumbled onto this forum. I too really like the many viburnums. I had Viburnum plicatum Mariesii at my other house, it was very large, and probably 30 years old. I really hated not to move it, never thought about trying to start one from a cutting. Here at this place I have planted 10 different viburnums, they are of course all less than 10 years old since that is when I started planting here.

When i planted V. Juddi, I was under the impression that it would be a small shrub, and so planted it about 2 feet from the path. It has already grown some limbs out over the path. Now looking at another book it says 6 ft by 7ft. So i think I have a size problem. DonnaS

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I just got back from shopping and I bought a viburnum at wal-mart for only four dollars. All it says is viburnum 'doublefile'. Any info on growing this plant in zone8? I hope its not something that is going to be invasive.

Pennsauken, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi gemini_sage,

The V. burkwoodii ('Mohawk' Burkwood Viburnum) is supposed to have a very heavy, spicy, clove frangrance. Mine is very young and was planted after bloom time so I haven't had the pleasure as yet. I planted it near my kitchen window so the frangrance comes indoors in the Spring. Here's a link for some great info on the plant:
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Newintro/mohawk.html

V. lantana 'Mohican' is known more for it's fruit. I am attempting to make great friends with the birds in my urban area in the hopes they will take care of many of the bad bugs this Spring and Summer. Here's an interesting link for a company named Stadler Nurseries where they list general uses for particular species of Viburnum:
http://www.stadlergardencenters.com/journals/journal.php?article=40 I'm not sure if that link will work correctly or no, but you can also link via http://www.stadlergardencenters.com/ ...I think

The V. plicatum t. 'Mariesii' (Doublefile Viburnum) I planted because of it's habit and flowers. I have distinct memories of seeing this plant when a child in large private gardens. It was so very elegant and outside the Rhododendron genus, one of the most beautiful shrubs I'd ever seen. The fruits on this plant are a big bonus.

All these particular plants are considered large shrubs.

Annie

edited for corrections

This message was edited Jan 15, 2006 12:32 PM

Pennsauken, NJ(Zone 6b)

Guy S,

That is truly interesting. Looks like it's time for some research on the Ginkgo. This has always been one of my favorite trees but I've never really spent much time researching such in-depth info on it. I had no idea the tree lived so long as you mention above. That was a most surprising factoid!

Annie

This thread (which I resurrected from some months ago) started out with a question about texts, but has veered into discussions of Ginkgo biloba, cemeteries, and individual species of Viburnum (fragrant and otherwise).

Rather than have this discussion hidden here, I'm going to initiate some new threads with the topics that are getting generated so that the general DG audience can partake more readily. I hope those currently participating will contribute there as well.

One little clarification: Annie posted about Mohawk viburnum. This plant is Viburnum x burkwoodii ‘Mohawk’, whose parentage is a Viburnum x burkwoodii seedling backcrossed with Viburnum carlesii back in the 1950s. V. x burkwoodii (as a species) originates from a cross between V. carlesii and V. utile in 1914. It's a minor point, but nomenclature is important in knowing where plants come from and even more important in understanding which viburnums will pollinate each other if one is interested in having a fine fruit display.

Pennsauken, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi VV,

I looked for the other threads you mention above but couldn't find them.
Point me in the right direction and I'm there!

I'm very glad you made that clarification and I have a question about it. I'll tag on to where ever that new thread is hiding.

Annie

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I have grown Viburnum x burkwoodii in my yard since 1996, from Forest Farm. It is growing to the east of my house about 10 feet out from the house. Our winters vary, sometimes below zero, sometimes not. Last year and so far this year 5 degrees above for a couple of nights is the coldest. I am very disappointed in the bloom on it and never has had any fruit. The blooms are scattered around on the shrub, some near the ground and others higher, and never very many. Don't think I ever took a photo. My soil is very alkaline. For the past couple of years the only additive I have used around it is Planters 2. I grow a total of 10 different viburnmums, and am happy with most of them.

DonnaS

Pennsauken, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi DonnaS (nice to see you again, btw!),

Maybe what V V said above regarding pollination has something to do with the low bloom and little fruit? I hadn't even considered that for this shrub, even though I made sure I purchased pollinators for my Ilex.

Last Spring while out shopping, I bumped into a woman who I recall telling me the exect same thing you wrote here regarding one of her Viburnum. I cannot recall if it was Mohican or Mohawk that she was referring to however.

Pennsauken, NJ(Zone 6b)

multiple posts removed.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2006 3:36 PM

Pennsauken, NJ(Zone 6b)

multiple posts removed

This message was edited Jan 15, 2006 3:36 PM

Annie: You are leaning on the send button!

I haven't begun new posts yet; weather is sunny so I have been out planting and scouting around the Valley. Lots of buds plumping up; looks like V. x bodnantense 'Dawn' will be in bloom this week.

I promise not to hide any threads I start. They'll be here, front and center, on the T&S forum.

John

One should notice the plank in one's eye before condemning the forest blocking one's view.

Yep; I just posted the same thing twice, because I believed the computer failed the first time. Fortunately, DG lets us edit out the fox paws.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2006 2:34 PM

Pennsauken, NJ(Zone 6b)

That's exactly how my triple post happened. DG got 'stuck' and reposted stuff x3.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi Annie, I don't remember reading anywhere that viburnums need pollinating . And since I have 10 varieties in my garden I would think if that were neccessary there would be a vib. close enough.

Does anyone know if viburnums need a pollinator.??

DonnaS

DonnaS/rutholive: Yes, viburnums fruit fabulously if pollinated well.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm going to launch some new threads so that this type of info/questions are seen more widely.

Fulton, MO

VV, didn't you write a wonderful treatise on viburnum pollination on the GW last year sometime? If you can find it, you should just copy here. Quick, before the new GW terms of service kick in...after that, they own your stuff! SB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.