Roots easily in water?

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I'm looking for plants that root easily in water. I wish the PlantFiles included a part about rooting in water...

I rooted my lime mint in about a week... what other plants can i expect similar results from?

Greenback, TN

wondering jew, purple passion plant, pothos, philos, pilea, hypoestes, coleus....I'll keep thinking.

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

English ivy is supposed to root easily in water, too, although I haven't tried it yet.

i have purplke passion flower in water nd it hasn't rooted yet... does it just take along time or did i get the wrong cultivar?

Greenback, TN

It usually takes mine about 4 or 5 days. How long has it been?

hibiscus, sweet potato vine, brugmansia...

Dry Ridge, KY(Zone 6a)

fuschia

it's been in water since June 14th...

Greenback, TN

I don't remember it ever taking that long but I want others to chime in on it to be sure. It seems to me that it was a quick rooting plant...

oiartzun-near san se, Spain(Zone 8a)

When rooting in water, do you change the water,and if so, how often?
BTW, I've water-rooted oregano, tradescantia, hibiscus,rosemary ,mint and rose geranium- some took a few days' others longer. I hardly ever changed the water.(Didn't realise I should!)

Greenback, TN

I do, about every 3 days or thereabout.

i do about every other day, too.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

pssssssst - if you don't want to change water and have something that you know roots in water anyway - steal something I picked up in the brug forum.

Commonly refered to as a 'bubbler' over there. You'll see the same technique called by other names elsewhere.

Basically - get a cheap aquarium air pump, some airline and an airstone if you don't want noise.

Take a container and add water. Run your airline tube in and let it bubble.
The constant motion allows gases to evaporate and the water to constantly be exposed to O2.

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

I'm not sure I can add too much after reading the bubbler technique - it sounds great. You could probably even get a few tube splitters so you could have a couple of containers going at the same time (possibly?)

I've been rooting passiflora 'purple haze' (only one I have) in water with great success. They can take a really long time, and I've even had them lose all leaves and look like they're about to rot when roots develop. Depending on the season and the growth age (not sure what the best time to take them is, but had great luck this spring) the quickest I've seen in water has been 3 weeks. But even then, I got 4 stems out of about 20 that developed roots, and the rest are still in the water without any sign of white bumps. These were all from the same plant, cut at the same time.. Kept in one big clear jar of water.. I'm not sure what conclusion to draw from it..

The only thing I'll add is that I rooted a ton last fall and had gotten some small cobablt blue drink glasses... probably aluminum cans would work, or glass jars covered in foil... which I think keeps it darker possibly encouraging root formation? Can't say for sure, but definitely the changing water is important. I also rinse the cuttings in water when I change it, trying to keep bacteria down etc.

Good luck.

(Zone 4a)

Sedums root in water.

Pensacola, FL

Anybody ever rooted Evergreen Wisteria in water? How about Clematis? If not in water, have you ever propageted any of those from cuttings? How?

So far I have rooted any type of basil, oregano, and several different kinds of mint in water. I've rooted a dentata lavender and Cuban oregano using rooting hormone. I use chopsticks on either side of the pot just inside ... and slip a zip lock bag over the top. I keep it misted, and so far, this has worked wonderful for me. Now y'all have me wondering ... I need to trim back my star jasmon. Can I take those trimmings and root them and make new plants, or do I actually have to get the hard wood? .

Aiken, SC(Zone 8a)

Rose of Sharon roots in water

Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOL - Rose of Sharons will germinate in water, air, outerspace. Those things grow anywhere!

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Chrysanthemums! Really...

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

im tring shrimp plant at the moment, also Lilac Vine (Hardenbergia violacea)

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Have heard that lantana will root in water - cut some yesterday to try.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Does anyone know how, and the best way to root a crepe myrtle? I have a purple one that my friend loves... so much that she is talking about rooting this one! How can I do this? Is it possible?

TIA, mel

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

You know, I *think* I can recall rooting crepe myrtle by sticking a cutting directly in potting mix. Don't quote me though..........don't you have tons of suckers that you could pull up & transplant for her? If not, I have hundreds..........[sigh]

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

One plant that is interesting to root in water is the Umbrella Plant. http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/13597/ You cut off the top of an umbrella about 6-8 inches, and trim the leaves to make a size that will fit down in a drinking glass. Turn the leaf end down in the glass and cover the leaves with water, (about 1 inch). It does take a week or so, but sprouts will shoot up from the submerged head.

This message was edited Aug 3, 2005 10:44 PM

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Darwin - sure, use a gang valve to run multiple lines.

sedum seems to root anywhere.
Didn't know about Rose of Sharon or think about trying. Will have to take some more cuttings and try that now.

Looks like echinacea might. I've had 3 cuttings in a bubbler for several days and they're still green.

Enigel - I've found rooting clematis simple and near foolproof by layering in pots. Lay a vine down; bury a node about an inch deep in the potting medium and set a rock or piece of brick on top to keep it down, cool and covered. Also helps reduce evaporation. Keep the pot watered and I add another pot about every 3rd node. When roots start coming out of the drain holes I usually cut loose. The side closest to the mother plant will be cut just above the potting soil.

Humansville, MO

i pant my purple passion right into drit.
they look like they are dead for a while but then they will start to stand up.
make sure you have 4or 5 leves.

oiartzun-near san se, Spain(Zone 8a)

I have loads of blackcurrant prunings which I shoved into a bucket of water in the shade for a 'day or 2' until I had time to make them into proper cuttings and pot them up. One month later,LOL, their roots are just about filling the bucket.... and the water was never changed, just topped up from the hose from time to time, as I still haven't made time to deal with them!
They must be pretty tough!

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I can add snail vine, bush morning glory.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Really, snail vine? That is good to know!

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, I have rooted it in water but I think rooting them in soil makes them much stronger and healthier and it's just as easy.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I was going to cut a section of my favorite sun coleus. I was not sure if I should take the leader (main) stem or one of the sides.
How long does it take to root?
Do you pot up and keep over the winter?
Do you place in a Southern window during the colder months until Spring?
Thanks,
Linda

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Linda,
Any stem of the Coleus should take root in water given 15-20 days, just make sure to remove the leaves that will be sumerged. When the root system forms you can plant them or pot them. You can take cuttings and pot them up to over winter; and yes a south or southwest window would be good.
Sheila

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks Shiela. I was given these seeds on a trade and was so pleased that they germinated.

Do people use coleus as a houseplant during the winter months? Linda

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

I am interested in this also, as I have cuttings from a dear friends coleus that I love, put them in a baggie with water, left them there for a week, and "voila" they had roots!

I planted them last weekend, and they are doing great. They are in my garage with a south and west window, covered with a baggie, and they seem to be doing fine. I was hoping to keep them indoors this winter, and then have nice cuttings for the spring....

is this a possibility?

melanie

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

TXMel,

Would you descrive your baggie method for me? I'm about to do my first coleus rootings and was just going to put them in a jelly jar in the window. Now I've read to keep them in the dark, etc., and I'm confused.

If I can figure this out I will have solar eclipse to share.

Thanks, Leslie

Thumbnail by LaLambchop
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh, you call it a method do you..... ; )

I was fortunate to get some small pinches of coleus shared by a friend, must have been 5 or 6 stems with just 2-4 leaves each. She gave us a little baggie, that we put some water in, wrapped a small napkin around the base (don't know if that is important) and brought them home. I keep a metal storage rack in the garage near a west window with blinds on it... (difused light)

I set them in a cup to keep them upright, left the top open and added a little more water after about 4 or 5 days, then after about 8 days, saw that they had little roots, and simply planted them into a large clay pot, all in one pot, watered it well, and loosley covered with an old veggie bag.

I watered them again today, and arranged the bag on top. They seem to be doing fine, and have not lost any leaves!

I hope this helps! It worked for me, and I was so amazed, as I was sure that they would have been ruined, but they did just fine!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I have some trailing coleus that I've propagated from cuttings and overwintered so that I'm growing it for the 3rd summer now. I don't bother with a high humidity environment like in a baggie for these; they're pretty tough, and they're easy to root. I just put the cut stems in a cup of water, removing any leaves that would be submerged like Sheila said. When they have a few good roots, I pot them up. I've tucked them into various indoor pots over the winter and then taken a bunch of cuttings in spring so I have a whole flat of them for planting out. They work well as houseplants, but they are pigs for water, so be sure to water enough if they are sharing a pot with another plant. Pinch the new plants often to promote branching.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

All the sweet potatoes vines. I carried some to the Ky roundup one year and forgot I had promised to bring some. I took cuttings on Thursday and put them in a glass and when we left for the roundup I put the glass in the glass holder on the dash on the car. We arrived on Friday and the swap was on Saturday and they were rooted by the time the swap started.

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

GEORGIAREDCLAY...
Is this the same sweet potatoe vine you are talking about?

Thumbnail by blckwolf256

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.