SOS! What's eating my echinacea?

Washougal, WA(Zone 7b)

I planted some new echinacea last year and they started coming up again this year, but now are nibbled down to nothing but stubs! I haven't seen the culprits in action, so I don't even know what kind of buggie it might be. How do I get rid of it? Is there a natural organic spray or something I could use?

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm wondering if you might have rabbits or woodchucks. Most bugs don't do as thorough a job as you're describing, and anything that becomes a stub in my garden has usually been eaten by critters. Very young seedlings could be entirely consumed by slugs, but I think you'd see slime trails nearby.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I wondered the same thing. The bunnies haven't attacked any of my Echinacea (yet), but they're chomping away at my 'Purple Dome' asters. Grrr....

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

I've learned this year that earwigs chomp down on marigolds and cucumber plants. I live in a rather urban setting with few pests, so small furry creatures just don't come into play. :)

Just a thought.
Donna

Washougal, WA(Zone 7b)

We do have rabbits, but wouldn't they normally eat the leaf stem that runs up the center too? All that's left are these little "spikes" of stem/vein that used to run up the centers of the leaves. And the dog and cats keep the rabbits pretty well at bay. ??

We do have slugs here, but I've got pine mulch around the plants and I'm told that helps keep slugs away. ??

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

Are you seeing any caterpillar droppings below? Sometimes cutworms eat in the way you are describing. You can find them at night with a flashlight. Bunnies would eat the whole leaf; I assumed from your first post that was the case.

Washougal, WA(Zone 7b)

No, the stems of the leaves are still left, so I'm guessing it's not furry critters. It must be some kind of bug, but I don't see anything. Maybe this cutworm is a possibility. I'm going to be making up some pepper spray this weekend to hopefully keep things at bay.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.