Boring Hurricane Boards?

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Floridian,
That is a brilliant idea.
I just hope you don't ever have to use them.
Patti

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Jax I need to do that but I've come to the conclusion that I am not a gardener...but I do need to find some native trees to form some type of screen for our place.

We have lots of butterflies and as we add (let grow) more natives we add more species flitting through.

Rose, me too!

I'm so glad everyone enjoyed our paint party. I almost didn't post them but figured what the heck...Now I'm so glad I did!!

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Stacie,

This is my type of party!! Looks like you had a grand time. I love all the paintings and the creativeness of them. I want to know where your picture is...huh? Did you just make everyone else paint and you just took pictures of them working?

I'm so glad that we don't have to worry about storm boards, but we do have to make sure our homes aren't too close to a big hill. hehe
Did you see all those expensive homes in Laguna Beach that fell down? I live on a very flat surface and feel very safe.

Donna

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL Donna!!
I get to take the pictures but we do still have 4 boards to paint. Mine, Paul's and a niece's and one to say "Celebrate the Wind". I'll try to get them posted when we finally get together and paint

I guess every part of the country has it's weather problem... I can't even fathom a house sliding away in a mudslide...Good grief! I was amazed when that happened in NC last summer. How do you fare with the wildfires? That's more like hurricanes, you know it's coming but you're not sure exactly where it will end up. Sitting vigil in front of the TV...

Big hugs for you and Jerry!!

I

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Stacey! That is a grand idea....I just love those boards....better than my neighbor's board that said in big ole letters...Ivan sucks!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL Connie...gotta love the graffiti that shows up during hurricane season!

I did get a call from the St Pete Times, a local newspaper. A friend called them but I don't know who. I'm getting ready to call the Homes editor back now...

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I haven't been in the weather forum for a while and missed this thread. Wow, what a cool thing to do with those boards! Like the others, I hope you don't have to use them, but if you do...I want to see pictures. ;)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi Kimberly!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi, Dave --- errr ---- JOHN! ;)

This message was edited Jul 6, 2005 11:12 AM

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

LOL, its John!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, geez, fingers typed too quick. Sorry about that, JOHN!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

(and it's Kimberley) LOL!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Way 2 many e's!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Kimberley and John,

Fun, fun to paint the boards, not nearly so much to wait for Dennis to pick a path. But you know me, if a storm causes the boards to be put up I will be out taking pictures!

We're going to be in the paper Saturday...I've been on the phone with Judy, the Homes editor. How funny is that and I don't even know who called her!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Now, thats cool!!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

here comes your fifteen minutes of fame.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL More like 30 seconds...

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Stacey, could I put some of these pictures and a little story about them on my blog sometime?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Absolutely...and post the link for us?? LOL If you want pictures just let me know and I'll send them so they don't have the DG copyright.
And thanks!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

stacy, I wanna be you when I grow up :-)

that is waaay cool! I hope you don't need them anytime soon, like this comming week..ugh...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Those are WONDERFUL!!! Thank you for posting the pictures. :-) I keep telling my aunt in Florida that she needs to join DG... I'll send her this link. Maybe it'll help!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Stacey... what's up with the newspaper?

Just think what an incentive it might be for other folks to see painting hurricane shutters as FUN and thereby negate some of the fears of those inevitable hurricanes.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Stacey, let us know which paper and if it has a hyperlynk.
I'm excited for you.
sidney

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

you might be needing those beautiful boards!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Nooo Connie!! It looks like you're going to need a bigger closet or will you evacuate this time when the hurricane threatens??

Lisa I hope none of us need to board up but somehow I don't think that will happen. Batten down the hatches!!

Marilyn, Thanks! I hope they're great incentive to her!!

Darius, Some bunny called the St Pete Times, one of the two big papers in our area. I've asked Judy (editor) who called but never got an answer. Strange that they had my home number and not my cell. It started out as a two picture article, now it looks like 4 and the last lines of her last letter said "Thanks so much! Everyone who sees this thinks it is a great idea!"

Thanks for being excited for me Sidney! LOL I admit I'm looking forward to the article. The St Pete Times is online so if I find the article online I'll sure post a link.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

great stacey!!! i can say i knew her when

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I really enjoyed this thread.Thanks a lot,Jody

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

what a neat idea!!

Brilliant!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks y'all. The boards really have gotten great reviews. The article in the paper was great...thanks Donut! Unfortunately I can't find a link online. They used 5 pictures and we were second story, right in the center of the front page, Homes section.

*Ü*

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

oh boy...wish we could see the article!

When did the story run? What was the title? When I did a search it only gave results up till yesterday. St. Pete Times, right? If it ran today might be able to see it tomorrow?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

What an amazing idea and so much fun. Particularly loved the invitation. Something for all ages. Really clever fun idea.

Hope you never have to use them. We have floods (too much rain) up here - poor farmers with rotting crops but hurricanes, never. in Manitoba. There was one in Toronto quite a few years ago.

Thank you for posting all the pix. Really interesting and amusing.
Inanda

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a photo of the paper. It ran in the Tampa Bay Homes section.
I found the article above and below online but not this one...

Thumbnail by Floridian

That is sooo cooool! Congratulations!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, WOW! That's awesome, Stacey!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

told ya, there's your fame, - really, great article... may many folks take yours for inspiration. Might as well get some joy outta such necessity

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

love it girlfriend!!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm emailing Sunday Morning on CBS.
You have started a trend!
sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.