do it yourself?

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

rooting powder that is, anyone know how?

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I think most rooting powder uses hormones which is why you have to be careful with it and use gloves. But someone may have a solution that helps roots grow.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Soak willow twigs/stems/cuttings in water for 24 hours and than us ethe water to root your cuttings. Willow water contains enzymes and hormones that will hassen the rooting of your cuttings. Doesn;t work for all things, but for those types of cuttings that will root in water this is the best.

Marc

thats exactly what i was looking for! thank you

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

RB - Thank you from here also. Now if I can just figure out what a willow tree looks like. I'm bound to have one in these woods somewhere. lol lol

Judy

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Pussy willow works well, and is often easier to spot :-)

You can also use honey or icing sugar powder too.

Baa, the same way as the hormone?

Yes just the same way, dip the cut end in it. As with anything like this, including the willow water, it does have some mixed results, some swear by it others swear at it. If you've already got some int he kitchen though, what's the harm in trying it?

thank you, i am just beginning in this whole area of propogation, i am hoping to get good at it so i can share with friends

My pleasure. Just be careful when someone tries to persuade you into using the banana or potato as a rooting media ;)

oh gosh im sure there is a good story behind this... :)

It was a very public experiment right here on DG! Here's the thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/318043/

I may put my money where my mouth is again this year and give it another go.

very interesting

i love the "whats saran wrap" lol i was roling

Ahh yes, it's funny how everyone gets used to using a particular name, it's definitely not called Saran wrap here in Europe, in the UK we call it cling film

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

I've always called it plastic wrap "Saran" is brand name to me!

~* Robin☺

i call it plastic wrap as well, comes in very usefull when sending plants:)

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

They've got some really fun and hand stuff now called Press and Seal.

yea, i recently recived a plant in trade with it on it, was great so ive bought some:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.