What happened!

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

The guy at the nursery told me I coule get an early start by starting by starting my Regales early in 1 galoon pots. So I started them a month before I set them out in the agrden. I was very careful not to disturb them. They grew great, and fast in the pots. Well, they have been in the ground for about a month now, and I have not seen any new growth. But, I did snap this picture this morning. I have never touched a lily in my life. Any ideas?

Thank you,
James

Thumbnail by orange_knickers
Cheyenne, WY(Zone 5a)

What happened is that they are done growing. As you can see they entered the flowering stage and were picky about the conditions you gave them---most likely not a period of time to over winter after planting them---which is what you are supposed to do. Whenever I plant lilies I plant them in the fall, in October, when they can begin to take in nutrients and develop a root system. Then they undergo overwintering, which is essential for a good flowering, as is fertilization (just like all other flowering spring/early summer bulbs). The transplant and environmental shock was also probably enough for them to not flower. Nevertheless, if you planted them in good soil they should flower and even multiply next year.

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

The problem by starting them early is that the bulbs don't get to harden off. The plants put out growth because the temperatures have been warm but then they grow faster than those in the ground. If you have sudden cold snaps this is what can happen. This can also happen if the soil dries out.

I suggest keeping the plant growing regularily for the rest of the season and then plant in the ground. They will bloom next year.

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

So why would the nursery sell these bulbs in the spring then, for summer blooms? I had a great spring bulb display so I do understand the whole overwintering thing. Well this is all a bummer! I planted a ton of asiatics, so they will make up for these losses this year. But that's OK, I will have some nice blooms next year. Thank you both for the advice.

James

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Mother Nature doesn't always cooperate with our plans.

I had the same problem last summer with my African Queen. I had planted it in fall of '03 and it came up and grew wonderfully to 4 feet and quit suddenly. The foliage looked great ~ no bugs, moles, etc.. I contacted the reputable seller and he asked if we'd had an unusual cool spell. We certainly did; just before it had quit growing.

Disappointing, I know, but your bulbs will probably out do themselves next year.

African Queen is the tall (>5ft.) yellow in the background.

Thumbnail by Moby
Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

Thanks Moby,
Your picture is nice. I guess I may have moved them from a warm spot to a cool spot, that is probably what it was. I will lift them and move them this fall to a permanent position.

James

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Looks like the buds froze to me.
Is that possible?

Bernie

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

No, no freezing. Not even a slight frost. They are just crunchy, I finally removed them yesterday.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.