aztec sun

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

does it open all the way?

and is anyone getting seed pods on their hiciscus from the co-op?

Thumbnail by crestedchik
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous bloom!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Sure is pretty! Looks like a Spanish dancer's skirt whirling to a fancy tune.

Grass Lake, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow ... what a beauty! No seedpods here. Did you?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

What a gorgeous bloom!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I have seed pods on a few....
I did not pollinate(not sure how...LOL)
these are nature done
the good thing is if there are seeds in them,only really cool flowers were blooming.....so the dads and moms are great ones

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

crestedchik
That is a winner for sure. Love it.

Joan

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

CC,

I got my first bloom off Aztec Sun today. This one is opened all the way.

Now about those seed pods......what do they look like? Can you post a picture?

This plant was from the Tropical Hibiscus co-op.

Molly
:^)))

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Most of them have fallen off when they were still semi green
I'm thinking they would have to be brown to be ripe
Going out to take a picture

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

this is one on Black dragon

Thumbnail by crestedchik

Thanks CC,

I need to go look at all the ones of mine that have bloomed. Haven't seen that, but gonna try! Will let you know.

Molly

Nope, Don't have any right now, but I might have one in the making from a recent bloom.

Well, I guess if you want seeds, you don't pinch off that bloom shell thingy.

Thanks for sharing the picture. Visuals are extremely enlightening.

Molly

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Beautiful CC & Molly

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Pretty blooms CC and Molly. I had what I thought was a seed pod forming on one of mine, but it fell off when it was about the size of the end of my thumb. There was nothing inside of it. :-( A long wait for nothing.

This message was edited Jul 11, 2005 9:32 AM

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I have never had a tropical hibiscus set a seed pod that didn't fall off before ripening. The ones from this co-op are my first named ones, but I have had the supermarket varieties for years without ever getting viable seed. I wonder if they just don't like to reproduce by seed since they have been selected for flowering and reblooming, not seed setting? Or maybe I'm just doing something terribly wrong! LOL!

Grass Lake, MI(Zone 5a)

That would be so cool to get a seed pod on a few of them .... just think of the possibilities!!

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sylvi--I've never had non-hardy hibiscus set seeds either, so you are not alone! Does anyone know if they are easy to root from cuttings? The tropical ones I mean.
:) Debbie

Debbie,

Hibiscus are very easy to root from cuttings. I know there are threads here, probably right in the hibiscus forums about doing both kinds of cuttings, hard and soft wood.

Matter of fact, it's said that the only way to guarantee true to the parent propagation is by cuttings. I also read that growing hibiscus from seed is similar to having children, they don't look "exactly" like their parents.

I am growing some seeds taken from a "Blue Satin" and am looking forward to seeing what they will look like when they get old enough to bloom. I'll get to see what was in the "gene pool".

Molly

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I have rooted many by just taking a cutting and putting in water. Normally roots in a few days. Some times I stick them down in my fish pond.

Those above are so pretty. Didn't know when I got in on that co-op that they would really be that pretty. I have had a problem with the blooms getting almost ready to open and then the bud falling off for some reason. Don't see any insect problem. Could be the rain we had had so much of this year.

Here's Rainbow Christy.

Thumbnail by Georgiaredclay

Jim,

Yep, I believe it's the rain. I have had lots of blooms fall off a bunch of things before they opened. Daylily and rose blooms have just puckered up and fell off, and the hibiscus too.

Now more rain with Dennis flying by.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the propagation info ya'll. I figured they must be easy to root because they have so many of them for sale down here in those "itty-bitty" pots. I've recently started increasing the number of tropical's I have because my 16 year old daughter seems to always remark on them over alot of my natives...gotta try to get her interested in gardening somehow! And I can put them ouside her window so she can see which one's are blooming each day. I'm using a little "getting her into gardening psychology" here. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.