Lemon Tree

Harper, TX(Zone 8a)

I started a lemon tree from seed about 2 1/2 yrs ago. See picture. It has been doing so so.

I bring it in when weather starts turning cold, around November 1. Baby it all winter, back out when danger of frost is past.
It has sooty mold! I fought this all last summer. Even washed the leaves with homemade soap spray individually. What a job, especially with the thorns on it. I have tried all kind of sprays that the nurseries have recommended for citrus tree diseases. I was thinking of throwing it out and buying one at Lowes. I was desperate so, two days ago I made a spray of WITCH HAZEL and water. 2T WH to 20 oz of water. I sprayed the lemon tree and it seems to have helped. Has anyone out there ever heard of such a remedy.

So far it looks like it has helped. Black on trunk and limbs have cleared up. No burn or damage that I can see. Please let me hear feedback if anyone has any knowledge. Thanks Txsdar

Thumbnail by txsdar
La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I've never tried witch hazel as a fungicide. I do know that witch hazel is an astringent and that the solution has at least 14% alcohol, a desiccant. Be careful because they might damage your leaves. I couldn't find any information on witch hazel being used as a fungicide on plants. Have you tried a funcide recommended for fruit trees?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.