Earwigs

Dayton, WA

What do you all do to eliminate earwigs?

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I cut lengths of old hose (12-18 in) and lay them around - some even in flower pots. Then first thing in the morning, I go out, bang the hose and out falls the earwigs. Then I squish them.... Not very scientific, but it works!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I have them, too, and they're devouring my Henryii Clematis. Help! Any poison? I know I can use grapefruit halves and they'll hide it there at night and then you're instructed to pick them up in the morning and destroy them but I don't want them escaping up my arms!

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I HATE earwigs. I know they're mostly harmless, but I HATE them. Chickens eat them. I've been known to whap them with a hammer just to make sure they are really dead. I don't want to use chemicals in my garden but earwigs are a real challenge for me. I think diatomacious earth is hard on them and I know diazanon will kill them. Otherwise, keep your hammer ready.

The perfect answer for me: the roofer's daughter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Less harborage. Earwigs like to hide under things - as your cultural controls show. So I would assume less things for them to hide under in the garden, the less earwigs. Earwig mothers stay with and guard their eggs, so they need something to hide under to do that.

I've never had any trouble with earwigs. They are predators here. I don't have any of the plant eating species.

Our place has loads of earwigs and I finally gave up on trying to exterminate them. Then I learned about alfalfa tea and mixed a five gallon bucket - without lid and waited for it to ferment. The next day there were dozens of dark shapes floating on the top. You guessed it! Earwigs love the tea and they can not swim. Pity! I may not get rid of them, but I surely will cut down the population. Hee, hee!
Barbara

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Where's a picture?
sidney

Today I was working in a very dry area, the irrigation system does not get this section at all, and still found the earwigs. Sylvi would be proud that I smashed their ugly bodies with my trowel and took great delight in being "The Exterminator".

Dayton, WA

I certainly appreciate everyone's input on this thread. I like the alfalfa tea idea the best, since it falls right in line with my organic approach to pest control. Thanks everyone!

Lettuceman - I also prefer the natural way. Just heard an entire hour on Espoma and their oganic treatments, like Holly-Tone, etc. Henryii doesn't have one perfect flower left.

Now I know even more about them but still don't want them!

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I had a ton of them under one of my flower pots and they were eating the marigolds...I had a can of Wasp and Hornet spray with me at the time and soo Voila....they were gone........

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

I tried something from a thread over in the Organic Gardening Forum just last night: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/522288/

Quoting:
A very successful method to get rid of earwigs is to take a shallow, straight-sided container and fill it half full with vegetable oil. Clean out the bodies every day and you may reuse the oil as often as you like.

You wouldn't believe how many earwigs I found this morning! I placed three of those shallow carry-out containers with veggie oil in different areas of my veggie garden; one of them easily had 50 bodies. The other casualties were comprised of one roly-poly, two millipedes, and a few box elder bugs.

Talk about easy!
Donna

This message was edited Jun 26, 2005 4:18 PM

We were headed to the store to buy Neem oil this Tuesday but after reading your post I want to try it.

HAVE YOU EVER SEEN LAVENDER EARWIGS?

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

Here's part of what we caught just last night, showing how effective the veggie oil trap is (that's the top portion of a Wendy's carryout container).

Thumbnail by TuttiFrutti

I'm setting it up again tonight, that's for sure! I did it the other night and forgot that the irrigation system went on that night. This is terrific. Thanks so much.

Dayton, WA

That veggie oil in a shallow pan really does the trick. I had some Parsley that they very nearly skeletenized, and put the oil pan nearby. The next morning at least 50 or so dead earwigs were in the oil. Great tip TuttiFrutti, and thank you!

Forgot last night, glad of the reminder. Thanks TuttiFruitti.

Hanover, VA

This is a thread I am glad that I read. I will try this tonight. I saw so many of them today.

Thanks brr, for bumping this up again....just in the nick of time!

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

bump

Thanks! I blew it again. It needs a daily bump!

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Bump again. I just put the oil out in a shallow plastic container. I used peanut oil because that's all I use. Hope it works. My brugs are being heavily hit. The only thing I'm a little concerned about are the raccoons. Don't really want to encourage them. Do you think they'll like peanut oil? Well, if they do, I hope it gives them a severe case of diarrhea and they steer clear of my yard because of it.

Thanks for the bump - again. Maybe I could arrange for it to be on my home screen. I need a daily reminder!

I am very good with the slug bait though!

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

No, no, thank you pirl! I got so excited about the oil I forgot the Sluggo yesterday. I'm going out to check if there are any nasties in my trap and apply some bait for the slimies. I'll report back.

Doesn't it make you wonder why they look so bad? Maybe if they were pink, with a touch of lipstick and little tutu skirts we might feel kinder towards them.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

If I saw an earwig with a tutu I'd give up and turn myself in to the looney bin. Hey, I caught maybe 40 or so last night. That made me grin when I saw it. So tonight I'm digging through the recycling for nice shallow dishes and putting them near every vulnerable plant. What's interesting to me is that the brug flower that I wanted to protect the most (because it's my very first ever) has been perfect until this morning; now there are several good sized chunks taken out of it. Makes me think the dumb earwigs drown in the oil and the smart earwigs say "hey gang, here's the oil, good stuff must be over this way."

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

How shallow does the container have to be? Would a tuna can work? That's all I can think of that I have. We'll have tuna for lunch today!

Gwen

Gwendalou - I think the original suggestion was lower than a tuna can but can't recall it exactly. Eureka! I found it (above):

Quoted:
A very successful method to get rid of earwigs is to take a shallow, straight-sided container and fill it half full with vegetable oil. Clean out the bodies every day and you may reuse the oil as often as you like.

One of those trays (strofoam type) that meat is packaged on could be cleaned, dried and used.

Let us know, please, what you used and how well it worked.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

OK, so since this popped up again I'll give some feedback. I used a deeper plastic dish, like microwave meals come in. My abutilon is in a tall narrow container so I used a much smaller (tuna can would work, especially if you bury it a little into the soil). Only problem I had was that it rained really hard one night and the oil got spilled into the soil. I cleaned as much off the top that I could but noticed a week later that there is mold surrounding the plant. So I need to replace the soil and maybe Neem it and/or apply a fungicide. Just try to remember to take the oil out before it rains.

Thanks, Stella. They left my Henryii clematis alone and now are dining on one 100' away, ignoring the many in between. I never know where they'll strike next and that's the annoying part of trying to bait them.

Hanover, VA

I tried the contanier thing, and caught a few hundred, but you guys have NO IDEA how many I have. My husband wants to mix up Seven and just spray it everywhere. A lot of my stuff is not bluming yet, but I wonder about the butterflies and bees etc. How long after you spray Seven is it harmful to the good guys? My basil is Gone! My parsley is Gone! My foxgloves are Gone! I am desperate. The container trick is not working fast enough.

Then use the Sevin and stop the onslaught. They'll only multiply and make it much worse (hard to envision) for the future.

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

I agree with PIRL, STOP pussyfooting around and use the SEVIN!!

Best;
bluelytes

Thanks! I thought I was in for some bad times on that one! Sometimes we have a choice - do nothing and have nothing or...
Do what you have to do!

Ready, aim - watch out earwigs!

I used a lid from a jar of pickles, with the oil, to trap them under a clematis - I will report tomorrow.

I also am trying an empty bottle (except for the oil) of Wishbone dressing, laid on it's side, near the hosta bed, where I spotted them today.

Since I seriously doubt that Katy Couric will have me reporting I'll go out and look, around 8 AM, and "tell all".

Out before 7 A.M. and no luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.