....Now what do I do??

Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

I found this Oriental Poppy (Papaver orientale) seed pod on the side of the road today. Now what do I do with it?

Thumbnail by got2Bgreen
New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Shake it; if it rattles a lot, then there are seeds inside. Break it open to get the seeds out.

Then plant some!

~* Robin

Ummm, nothing is rattling. Did I pluck it too early or can I let it dry out a little?

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

Set the pod on its head on a paper plate or in a shallow bowl in a warm place for a few days. Look under the cap. See any holes around the rim? If not this isn't near dry enough but you may get some that ripen for you by leaving it for a few days or more. It's not the drying that's critical as seeds can always be dried later. It's the maturity of the seeds that's important so it's always better to let the seeds mature on the plant as long as possible.

Thanks for the reply.

I completely forgot about this because I wrapped it in paper towel and put it away with some other seeds I have.

I cut it open today and there was nothing inside it - guess I picked it too soon. I going back to where I found this one to see if there are anymore.

Thanks again!

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

got2Bgreen Saw your thread and just wanted to say hi from the midwest.
My family has family in Philomath and you live in some beautiful country. It's great there in the summer and close to many neat things to see. Good luck on your flower seedpod!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.