White Currants

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I am very fond of white, red and black currants so I bought some bushes last year (and this year too!). My first white currants are now coming along on one of my bushes, variety Blanca. I'm quite pleased although the bush is smaller than I would have thought for being a year old. Does anyone else grow them in a zone somewhat close to mine? How big are your bushes? Good yields? I got mine from Nourse farms and the bushes seem in good condition. I can't wait until these are ripe enough to eat!!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I would think that berries the first? year from planting was incredible. Don't they usually take a year or two to get back on track?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I probably didn't explain that properly. I got the bush from Nourse farms but I'm not sure how old it is when they send it to you. It just looks like a dry stick with some roots on the bottom. So I planted it last year and it just put out a few leaves and didn't do much else. This year it has more leaves and these currants on it. So I've had it for just over a year now, but I'm not sure how old they are when Nourse sends them out. Maybe a year or two?

Anyway, my grandfather's currant bushes (in England) were about 5 or 6 feet high, enormously bushy, and had great yields. I'm just wondering how long that would take.

My bushes (sticks!) this year from Nourse farms are just getting leaves (like the Blanca did last year).

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

It sounds like they sent them dormant and bare root. Which isn't a bad thing.

I think it should take quite a while to get as big as your gramp's. Those are probably very old bushes. Did he buy his, by the way, or were they wild ones?

The wild ones are more vigourous growers.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

You know, I'm not sure what his were. I know they were very old bushes because I was very small when I began to pick them with him when we visited. I suspect he bought his because his garden was large and quite organized. He had a lot of different currant and gooseberry varieties, as well as raspberries. I hope my garden looks like his someday.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I just planted currants and gooseberries this year for the first time. Sticks with roots, just like yours. They are leafing really nicely. I am excited to hear that yours are doing well, gives me hopes for mine. Sorry I couldn't help with your question tho.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I have gooseberries too! One of mine is doing well but one of them isn't. It leafed out, and then all the leaves turned yellow and fell off. There are a few left. I'm a bit worried about it.

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

I found this thread while trying to find out if it's necessary to prune currant bushes! I have two that are HUGE! They came with the house...

Cmoxon, how big are your currants this year?

Saint Clair Shores, MI(Zone 6b)

My gooseberries are about 4-5 feet tall and disappoint me each year with their fruit. (my oldest son doesn't seem to mind them, though). My red currants are 3-4 feet tall and they fruit like crazy, these we all love. The one white and one pink currants I have are only 1-2 years old and they aren't even 2 feet tall yet. My clove currants (ribes odoratum) are only 1 year old and a little more than 1 foot tall each.

Pruning should be done after fruiting (at least that is when I do it). Beside pruning for shape one should remove any wood over 3 years old as it will become unfruitful.

~Chills

I don't yet have black currants (though I am looking to add one this year)....anyone know of a nursery in Mi or near Windsor who has them?

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

Chills, I didn't think you could buy black currants in Michigan....there used to be a ban on them, but I'm not sure if it's still in effect.

Michelle

PS..if it's not in effect, I would love some!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Hi MsKatt & Chills,

Glad to see some other currant lovers! Mine are just starting to leaf out today, although that's pretty early for here in zone 5. We have had some decent weather of late, warmer than usual. My black and red currants are about 3 to 4 feet tall now, my gooseberries are smaller. My pink currant is about 2 feet tall, but it was my latest addition. I think I have a clove currant. I ordered a red lake red currant but I know from the leaves that it isn't what the label said! I ordered it from a different source than usual. I have been told that the flowers will smell like clove if that is what it is. The leaves are very smooth and flat compared to the rest of my currants. I got it late in the season last year and there was 1 currant on it when it arrived, black color, but no flowers. Shall wait to see what happens!

Anyway, mine are not really big enough to prune. The ones I planted at my last house are now about 5 feet tall and could possibly be pruned. I am not sure if one should prune old or new wood though. I did a Google search on "pruning blackcurrants" and found a lot of sites in England about it, so there is advice to be had if you take a look.

Why do your gooseberries disappoint you? Is the flavor not good? I like them best when cooked into a jam or pie or something called gooseberry fool which my grandfather made.

I don't know of nurseries in Mi, BUT, I did check www.noursefarms.com and they do ship Ben Sarek blackcurrants to all states except Massachusetts. Looks like you might be in luck, MsKatt! They can be a carrier of white pine blister rust but the nourse farm variety is resistant. Maybe that's why they can ship all over? Also, I found a website for Kriegers Nursery in Bridgman, MI, which has Consort black currants. I have no idea if that is near Windsor, but it's in Michigan, so they will ship within Michigan!

Claire

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.