squirrel invasion

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Does anyone know how I can keep squirrels and chipmunks out of my strawberries? Do hot pepper flakes help?

Haines Falls, NY(Zone 4b)

Get a dog. 'Course then, you will have a dog eating your strawberries. I heard that hot pepper flakes work pretty well, though, from a friend.

Longboat Key, FL

woods~

Good luck. But, go to my thread on the second page:"Edible figs, squirrels, and Hav-a-Heart traps." Maybe there's something there which could help.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Coyote urine. You buy it in spray bottles.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

You might try row crop covers, but squirrels can be very determined little critters.

CaptMicha, I want to EAT these strawberries, lol. I have way too many squirrels to use a Hav-a-Heart trap. They're not very well designed anyway. My husband made a much simpler one that has been very effective.
We are famous here for having White Squirrels. They are prized in our county seat. I live about 20 miles uphill from town and saw one in my yard the other day. He was being very amorous with a lady gray squirrel but she was coy. I hope we have baby white squirrels here , since I have to put up with them so much.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I'll send postage if you want to ship a white one to Michigan!!

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Duh! Lol. You could spray it in a barrier around the strawberry patch.

I doubt whether any netting would work b/c if a squirrel wants something, they have no problems chewing their way to it!

I've never heard of white squirrels, have you any pics? We've got black, reds and grays here.

I will look for a good one when I'm in town today. They are on everything, little statues, post cards, on and on ad nauseum. But I like them too. We just had a White Squirrel Festival and would you believe itf? some folks came all the way down from New Hampshire to the NC mtns. just to see them .

This is as good as it gets in shipping one to you sylvi. Most of ours have the gray areas like this one or perhaps a little less gray .

This message was edited Jun 17, 2005 5:27 AM

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

He's beautiful! Thank you.

The strawberries are over here. But the pepper flakes worked until it rained hard, and then needed replacing.

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

22 and a scope works really well. Any rabbit recipe should work well for those guys too.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2005 5:39 PM

LOL, is everyone is Alaska a hunter? Yes, in the past I have eaten squirrel and rabbit, but not lately. Of course, if we shot one of our white squirrels, we would probably be lynched.
My nephew-in-law who is f rom Gloucester, England calls them tree rats.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Try slices of Irish Spring soap around the perimeterof your bed or near each plant. I don't know if it works for strawbs, but it works for roses, sweet potato vines and everything else in my yard. Cheap too. I get a three pack and cut strips with a knife. Then when it finally melts you still have some left. It also is not poisonous for plants or pets, and it doesn't have to be applied again every time it rains. Easy to apply , too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.