my favorite lily

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Has got to be gloriosa lily. So easy to care for. The blooms last so long.

Thumbnail by rylaff

Makes me all the more anxious to start the seeds I bought!!!

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Wish I could grow one up here they sure are neat looking.Jody

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Jody, you could grow one inside with a small trellis in a pot. I saw them growing inside a mall once.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I've grown it here before......outside for the summer and in front of the window (for the winter months ;).

River Ridge, LA(Zone 9b)

i snipped the first bloom from my gloriosa, and it hadn't done ANYTHING for a month or so. well i noticed two days ago that a baby is coming up about 3-4 inches away from the base of the mother plant... anybody have thoughts on this peculiar situation?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Calla, a few years ago I started with about ten of these. I never dug them or anythings until a couple of years ago I decided I wanted to dig out that bed and put in something else. There must have been three or tour hundred tubers in there. I thought I got em all and a month or so later another 75 or so came up. I have since dug them up on a regular basis for trade and to keep the numbers down. What I have found is that the tubers will grow little round baby tubers on the ends which will quickly seperate and then start another plant.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm growing these here in KY for the first time this year and just got my first bloom yesterday! They're so cool! I'm planning on treating them the same as the rest of my tender bulbs and just storing them for the winter. I started them early in pots and they grew so fast they nearly out-grew the window before it was safe to put them outside. Now they're about to out-grow the trellis! Are Gloriosas prone to any pests or diseases I should be on the lookout for? I'm loving them so much I don't want to be suprised by some scurge I could have prevented. Brent and Becky's offered solid yellow and solid orange varieties this spring and now since I know I can grow them I'll have to get those next year.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

No diseases or pests here. Mine even take some drought and neglect.

River Ridge, LA(Zone 9b)

why do you think it only bloomed once, is it like a tulip...?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Mine looks like blooms are going to continue for some time, more like a canna or calla. Where the first bloom buds appeared, another leader has started up beyond the trellis and I can see baby flower buds arising in the leaf nodes.

River Ridge, LA(Zone 9b)

i must have done somthing wrong... ah well...

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

rylaff ,the next time your ready to trade `em please
let me know my husband is driving me crazy for
some ever since he saw them @ a daylily farm.
we can`t seem to find any around home...
we`re just getting started in gardening
but will try and find anything you need as trade.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Finally! I have 3 buds on my lily.It is in a smallish pot climbing up a chair made of twigs.When it finishes blooming I am going to plant it in the ground in the same spot.I planted 3,the squirrels ate 2 and I got one.I hope they multiply well as Rylaff's did.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.