My Garden is Now Underway

Darrell, you've done an amazing job on your gardens. Hope your sales go well in this new venture. Best of luck.

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Thank you Brugcrazy. I appreciate you saying that.

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

I loved your bean stairway and lettuce boxes. Showed the picture to my DH...hoping he'd say that he could build me something similar but on a smaller scale. Hah!

What's been happening to your vegetable garden, Darrell? Have you been able to sell your stuff?

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Quyen,
The Vegetable market is in the Thread called:
"Market Stand is Underway"

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

DCarrington,
OUTSTANDING use of limited space! Now, please tell me how a girl can learn to build the structures you have built?

I know I can go to HD/Lowe's and get the 8' x 14' or even 1' x 12' and have them cut in half. But how do I cut stair frames? How do I level the structure so it's not lopsided?

Regarding your raised bed boxes: I noticed you put some "posts?" inside the boxes and it looks like the sides are nailed to these posts, right? What size are they and how do you make the boxes perfectly level and square?

Carpentry, 101.

Thanks.

Linda

BUMP!

Stevensville, MT(Zone 4b)

Wow...........and I wish you were my neighbour!!

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Linda,
Thank you.

The boxes are easy. For the corners, I laid out a 2x4 and cut it in one foot lengths. I bought packages of wood for the sides and ends. They were suppose to "Line a Closet". They're thin boards that are tongue and groove. You can get the packages at Home Depot or Lowes and they're not expensive. (maybe $5.00 to $6.00 per package of 6 boards that are 8 feet long.

I laid out the 2x4's on an old table, spaced 8 feet apart. Next I naild one of those boards (packaged boards), to the 2x4 with finishing nails. You can use any kind of nail that is small. If you use a large nail, it will split the board you are nailing to the 2x4. By the way, the 2x4's aren't in the ground. The box is placed on top of the ground when it's finished.

The box is 8 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 1 foot deep. Just cut a 2x4 into 4, one foot corners. Nail the sides and ends to the 2x4's.

To keep the box from spreading apart in the middle, I put a 1 foot long board, (same as the corners), 4 feet from each end of the box. The packaged boards are 8 foot lengths. I nailed the sides to the 2x4's in the center. I screwed in an eye hook to those center 2x4's, placed a wire on the eye hooks and tightened them so when the soil was dumped into the box, it wouldn't spread out.

I cut out my stair steps, but if you aren't sure how to cut them out, you can easily buy "Stringers" (another name for steps), at any place that sells lumber.

Good luck to you. Post a pic when you get one finished.

Darrell

THANKS, DARRELL!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Darrel, Where the heck you been ? We miss you on the market forum. Come on over and join us again.
Bernie

DCarrington
Riverview, NB
(Zone 5b)

The boxes are easy. For the corners, I laid out a 2x4 and cut it in one foot lengths. I bought packages of wood for the sides and ends. They were suppose to "Line a Closet". They're thin boards that are tongue and groove. You can get the packages at Home Depot or Lowes and they're not expensive. (maybe $5.00 to $6.00 per package of 6 boards that are 8 feet long.

I laid out the 2x4's on an old table, spaced 8 feet apart. Next I naild one of those boards (packaged boards), to the 2x4 with finishing nails. You can use any kind of nail that is small. If you use a large nail, it will split the board you are nailing to the 2x4. By the way, the 2x4's aren't in the ground. The box is placed on top of the ground when it's finished.

The box is 8 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 1 foot deep. Just cut a 2x4 into 4, one foot corners. Nail the sides and ends to the 2x4's.

To keep the box from spreading apart in the middle, I put a 1 foot long board, (same as the corners), 4 feet from each end of the box. The packaged boards are 8 foot lengths. I nailed the sides to the 2x4's in the center. I screwed in an eye hook to those center 2x4's, placed a wire on the eye hooks and tightened them so when the soil was dumped into the box, it wouldn't spread out.

I cut out my stair steps, but if you aren't sure how to cut them out, you can easily buy "Stringers" (another name for steps), at any place that sells lumber.

Good luck to you. Post a pic when you get one finished.

Darrell

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.