Cauliflower heads are purple tinted

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Any reason for this? This happened last year; plus, I noticed it also at the Farmer's Market. They started out white but then developed this tint. They taste the same as the ones in the grocery store.
Thanks, Linda

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

There are some varieties that were developed for the lavender color. There is also a cross between broccoli and cauliflower that is a chartreuse green.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Regular white cauliflowere will discolor for several reasons, Foremost is sun.where they were not tied up quickly enoght. Stress and overage will contribite to to the purpleing. Greening an d browning is almost always due to sun exposure.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the information. The picture on the label said it should be white.
As a follow up: After I blanched the cauliflower for freezing I noticed it went back to white. Some of the thicker stalks had a little purple but the colorization completely disappeared. For that I am happy as my family hesitated to eat any until I did. LOL
Linda

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

I'm so glad I found this thread! We harvested our first cauliflower head, and I was slightly concerned about the bit of purple tint on the stalk. No more! :)

P.S. Is it just me, or garden fresh cauliflower really juicier than what I get in the store?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

oh, yeah, it's JUST YOU ;-D

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

Hey, that was my very first time eating FRESH cauliflower, with the added bonus of it having come from my own garden. *giggle*

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.