Finally some hollyhock blooms

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Look at this absolute beautiful hollyhock, it was suppose to be a purple, but it's more wine colored, I have no idea what it's name is, I got it at wally world last year, and it's my fave for sure.

I just wish I didn't have to stake them all. I haven't tied up these double wine colored ones yet. but if they get too much water (not likely the y will) then I have to tie them up to a t post. I hope they have tons of babies next year. i'm pretty bad about saving seed off things.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

here's peaches & cream, it's beautiful too. I just love those doubles

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

and black watchman is striking, isn't it?

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

this is one of my deceased mothers' hollyhocks I brought back from her place last year, it's quite diff looking, I hope to have lots of them next year as well.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

gorgeous they are...
mine are just starting to send up stalks.

Does yours get attacked by mites?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

only leaf miners, and I spray them with merit and that stops that, not had themite problem with mine, I have the (have to stake problem) it's really bad too LOL. do you have to stake yours? I hate having to stake them, I'd love to have lots and lots but how in the world would they stand up. we had a windstorm last night, and a bout 3 short minutes of light rain, but the wind made up for it. we have that often, and it blows everything over.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh those look so beautiful!
I have been waiting 1 1/2 years for my hollyhocks to bloom so they have lots of buds on them. Soon I hope.
I haven't had to stake them yet because they have been losing their leaves all winter long. I have had to cut them off due to the horrible rust problem. So they look very naked right now except a few leaves and lots of buds. They have survived thru lots of wind storms so far.
So I guess they are very strong due to all the torture. Tho I don't know what will happen when the blossoms come out. Will see. Also will see what color they are.
Carol

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Beautiful kathy_ann! I am so envious. Mine won't be blooming for a while yet.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Depends on where they're located. As long as they're along a wall and protected from those summer winds from the west, they do pretty good. Foliage just gets so ratty and I don't spray. It would just be for cosmetics anyway because they're about the hardest thing to kill once they're established with that tap root to china. :)

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I always had rust on mine. I finally had to take them out. All the leaves would turn brown, finally all the way up to the flowers. Now my neighbor has some and she doesn't have any rust. Irritating.

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

How long do Hollyhocks live? I've read that they are a short-lived perennial.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

thanks all for the compliments,

Mobi, do you mean how long do they flower? good question, this is my first year for getting them to flower, I've not had even the tall stalks before, but last year when they were young, they never died down all winter they stayed green here, we got down to the teens,

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Actually, I wanted to know what your experiences are on how long the perennials live themselves. Here's an exerpt form PapGeno's. Will I have to replace mine after 2 to 4 years?

"Like everything else, though, each Perennial plant species has its own particular life span. Some are "Short-Lived Perennials" which only live 2-4 years - Hollyhocks and Foxgloves, for example, which are frequently sold as Biennials, are actually in this group. Other Perennials have indefinite life spans, such as Peonies."

http://www.papagenos.com/plantdb/pottingshed.asp?chapter=10

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

The Hollyhocks don't live very long but you'd almost think they do because they do a "Fine" job of reseeding. (you probably won't get all the seeds by deadheading) So just be sure to grub them out where not wanted when they first sprout. You'll easily recognize their seedlings. Let them get established and you won't pull it out! You'll have to do some digging or nuke it. But by allowing a few seedlings here and there (and the ones you miss before they get dug in) you have a steady progression.

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Wonderfull..Special Peaches and Cream..really very pretty. Last summer I 've grown a black Hollyhock too..it did 'nt came back this year like my other hollyhocks do every year...it was also very beautifull and I was amazed how black it was. Thanks for showing me. Edited to add..
I 've planted flowers also from the garden of my deceased parents...took seeds and divisions of some plants that are so related with my childhood...I 'm so glad I have them grown in my garden..feels like my parents are still with me.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2005 9:56 PM

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Kathy,
I LOVE, LOVE that one of your Mom's. How precious it is to have something of hers that is so beautiful. I hope someone can ID it as I'd love to have that one. It is probably an heirloom as I haven't seen one like it.
We had a storm the other night and most of my 'black watchman' got blown over.... :(
Some of these plants have douboe blooms wish I had a digicam.
Has your BW got double blooms?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

no, double blooms on the black watchman, but I got to tell you that maroon double up on top, makes up for it LOL

yes, I have no ideas what the name of mom's holly hock is, tis my only one, I hope to have seed drop and to save seed off it. for next year. I have some of her iris's too.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

OK, I've got to share my Hollyhock pictures. My first hollyhocks were volunteers last year. Here's what I got for year two~

Thumbnail by Gardengirl1204
Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Another....

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Another...

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Another - I love this one. It looks like tissue paper torn all around the edges.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Another.....

This message was edited Jun 14, 2005 8:38 PM

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Last one..... I've got others that haven't bloomed yet so I can't wait to see what they look like!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

girl, your blessed, absolutely love them, aren't they georgious.

Coventry, RI(Zone 6a)

I finally put in about 7 hollyhocks this year, from growers. I am in much need of naturalizing/re-seeders, so I hope they will do well. The area I selected is rather moist, so I am hoping they will tolerate it, if not thrive. They do seem to be growing well, we shall see about next year. May felt like March here, and now June has been more like August thus far. But, I am guessing that the growth has evened out for the two months. Luckily we have had enough rain so that nothing got burned. My pansies are a bit sad, a bit too early, but, oh well. Any tips for maximizing reseeding? I have room for hundreds, but have the budget for few.

-Lu

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

not really sure LU on tips, this is my first year for them to seed out. sorry,

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

LuluLocks -- My sure fire reseeding technique is very easy... Don't mulch and just keep re-edging your flower beds a little further into the grass every year. For some reason, even if I leave open dirt inside the flower beds, they like it best right at the front edge of the garden. Maybe it's that continually turned soil is more attractive. Also think about wind - I didn't realize that some re-seeders like to travel a pretty good distance (10 or more feet) from the original plant. Others seed right around the base of the parent.

I don't know much, so I stick with really strong re-seeders like Foxglove, Johnny Jump-ups, Corydalis, Hyssop, Lady's Mantle, Campanulas, Forget-me-nots, Mallows, Tall phlox (usually turns out a dusty lilac, but sometimes you get a cultivar) and of course, Hollyhocks. If you really want to cover space quickly, try Evening Primrose, Honesty, Monarda, and Siberian Iris ( can be INVASIVE -These all get pretty huge and can travel, so take care). I'm still pulling out some of the Evening Primrose and Gooseneck Loostrife every year because some very friendly gardener offered me these lovelies my first year and I didn't know any better. My rule of thumb now is : don't take it if I really don't want it or don't know it's habits.

Sorry! I didn't mean to ramble on and on... It's just so exciting to see things come up from nothing in a spot you weren't expecting it to. Good Luck!

Coventry, RI(Zone 6a)

No rambling there! Thanks so much! I have so much space, much of my garden space will be controlled by the mower, and little else. Its all dense field, woodland, or swamp. I really need things I can interplant, and encourage to take over. There is really no other alternative from where I stand right now. I am adding at least one groomed bed at a time, but I long for color throughout my property, NOW. Its beautiful in its own right, no light pollution, no traffic, lush and green, my home is my own private getaway everyday. My fiancee and I are both artists, so a vista without color just isn't OK.

Thus far, my strategy is to create a small 3' (or more, as needed) around each plant/group, mulch it down with what I have in the area as a naturally occuring mulch (leaves, grass clippings, pine needles), say a little prayer for it, and water for the first season. So far, so good. My beds are swelling, and offering seedlings all the time, but it never seems fast enough. I am also fostering the more attractive natural growth (am I the only nut that loves thistle?), and learning their names slowly.

Okay, so now I ramble. Thanks for the great ideas, they are going right in my wishlist. :)

-Lu

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have been waiting two years and I finally have buds on mine. Interesting to note that they did not die back over the winter and the plants are huge!

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

2 Years ago I got a Hollyhock seedling from an old neighbor. She didn't know what color they would be. I planted it and it grew a little, then I moved and took it with me. It got taller and taller. Problem was getting a good picture. They were always blurry. So after 2 years it finally bloomed, Hot Pink. It's now about 8 feet tall and being held up by a citrus tree. The buds lower down on the main stalk started blooming first, then eventually they bloomed all the way to the top.

I tried to take some seeds from it, but they didn't feel quite right, But what do I know, I never took seeds from Hollyhocks before.

I was amazed this thing got so tall, and that it took so long to bloom. Now you tell me their life span is short? humph.

This is the best picture I could find. It's the one with the pink flowers going up the middle of the picture.

I have a couple black hollyhocks I bought last fall, so now we wait for the next 1 1/2 years to see flowers.

Molly
:^)))

I just received some Dahlia tubers and I think they will love that tree with the Hollyhocks ((((Carol))))

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Coventry, RI(Zone 6a)

Beautiful space!!!

(Mary) Poway, CA(Zone 10a)

LuLuLocks,

I grew up in Rhode Island. We had Hollyhocks there that were planted once and then reseeded themselves so we kept having them year after year. I didn't have a gardening clue back then. Fond memories. The morning glories on the fence did the same thing. The lilacs that bloomed outside my bedroom window - I'll never forget the scent. The only thing about Rhode Island gardening that would bother me now is the shorter season. Still, it seems that some things make up for the shorter season and thrive much better than they wood in Southern California.

Mary

Please, I have a hollyhock question. Mine that I showed above being 8 ft, now has quite a woody "trunk". There are what appear to be seed pods nearer to the top and they are dry. There is some green growth down near the bottom, say within a foot from the ground.

Should I cut off the trunk above the green or just leave it be?

Thanks,
Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hey, Molly,
Will look forward to seeing those "dahlia" blossoms!
Your hollyhock looks great. Dahlia and hollyhocks will be great together.
I have both of them together in my raised bed and of course the hollyhocks outsize the dahlias by miles.
I have been waiting 1 1/2 years for mine to bloom and they are just starting to open! Hot pink, I think, so far!
The black hollyhock will be interesting to see bloom, Molly. Try to get some seeds from those next time. I had several hollyhock plants in the yard from what I had grown this winter. I should have sent one to you. Darn. I will be growing them again this coming fall/winter, so will send you some then. I seem to grow them pretty easy. I would like to find some seeds that are rust resistant tho. I had a horrible problem with rust this fall.
I will post pictures tonight of my naked hollyhocks due to taking off the rusty leaves this winter/spring.
I sure hope these hollyhocks reseed themselves finally this year. Will be interesting to see if they do.
Carol

Oh woe is me Carol,

The black hollyhocks I only got last fall. You know what that means? No blooms for at least another year. We, as gardeners do have to practice that patience thing don't we?

I haven't planted the dahlias yet. I was going to after I finished painting some signs. Then I had to clean up mangos from the yard. Twice a day and we can't keep up. It's a danger zone, they are falling from the tree fast as you can pick them up.

Anyway, it's raining now, our regular afternoon thunderstorms, so no planting right now. Will do it tomorrow in the morning.

Everything is settling in and seems quite happy Carol. I'm hoping yours will be there when you get home from work today.

Molly

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Molly,
I would cut it down just for aesthetics.
I have read that if you cut hollyhocks to the ground after they finish blooming then feed them very heavily that they will put up another smaller flush of blooms. I have never tried it but am going to in a week or so as my Watchman are almost finished blooming.

Thanks Debbie,

I think that's a grand idea. I'd love to see them come back and give me some more flowers this summer. Cut and feed, you got it.

Molly

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

So, Berrygirl,
Hollyhocks are like delphiniums then?
I will try it too. Sacrifice one plant at least, more blooms for seeds.
Molly, I hope your package is there too!!!!!!!!!
But patience isn't my thing but I have been so busy with the yard that I seem to forget about the things that will take time to bloom.
I don't have patience for my dahlias tho. I WANT them to bloom NOW!!! LOL!!!
Do you eat the mangos? What do you do with them then? Freeze the juice for smoothies? My son would love that.
Later,
Carol

Nope Carol, I get the itchies over mangos. They hit the ground, split splatt and draw bugs and stink. They broke one of my knomes yesterday. I worry about getting hit in the head when I'm out there. There is no warning, they just come crashing down. You can hear them hit the roof in the yard behind us. Really loud, BANG. They go in the trash bin. I did save a few for my sister in law, ones that didn't split on impact. They're in the patio fridge.......waiting for her, Belaugirl.

The last house I owned that had one of these trees in it, we had cut down. The boys were allergic and they (the mangos) were messy. I rent here so I haven't the option to cut it down. Last Labor day, hurricane Frances brought 2 very large branches down. The good news is, 2 very large branches are not throwing fruit at my head.

But this is a conversation for the thread I started over in tropicals about the mango tree.

Molly

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok, I know this picture isn't that great but finally after 1 1/2 years, I have a bloom!!!
They are pretty but their poor stalks are so naked but I guess now I can see the blooms better anyways.
The next pic will be the naked bodies.
Carol

Thumbnail by daisyruffles

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.