blue fescue seed saving

Bellefontaine, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi guys....first off...what a great site I have stumbled upon, everyone seems terrific.
So here is my confession.....I have only gathered a few types of seeds,,so I would like some help and or hints about the best ways to gather.
Case in point- today noticed that the blue fescues have long very dried looking tassles....so I harvested them, the seeds seem to be very tiny incased (sorta) in a tiny hull, husk ...will they eventually fall out of those hush??..some are already spitting.....and if I trade them......do i send them as is??..or sift them??....I know this sounds really naive of me...but you all seem so nice.....I feel confident you can help me understand the unwritten laws of seed trading!!!!
BTW- if anyone wants some......let me know.....seems to be tons of them.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Sounds like you're doing good, just let them dry fully.
Personally, I find that grasses do good just to send off the seed head, the seeds are so small they get stuck in all the grooves of anything you put them in. They will mostly fall out, I left some in an envelope, and when fully dry, most of the seed was in the bottom. Different people trade different. Some clean their seed to the nth degree, and some don't even label them:) (no one here).
First rule of trading seeds, label your seed packet:) and welcome to Dave's!!!

Liberty, IN

I know where you are. I used to live in Fletcher (by Piqua) and did a lot of work for Lattimer Siding and my M-n-L delivers for airborne up there. Any how I have some fescus seeds too. I just put some pantyhose around several of them and wait till they fall off. i think everyone has their own set of laws, but follow some basic laws. I thinks plants will grow if they are clean or not, not everyone has the time to clean every little seed. I also print out my emails in case somthing happens to the computer. Just don't put them in plastic untill they are fully dry. Welcome happy gardening Tonia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.