Hybrid Rugosa Rose 'Therese Bugnet'

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

Hybrid Rugosa Rose 'Therese Bugnet'
Rosa

Pinks and blues, Rosa rugosa at the bottom of the picture.

Thumbnail by mgarr
Manalapan / Englisht, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hello Mgarr,

My girlfriend and I recently discovered the "Rugosa" Rose family. Our favorite is the "Hansa". I heard you can start them from clippings in water and I am in the process of trying this, as well as search local garden stores for the Hansa. Your garden is lovely. I like the country garden as well but I add a tropical touch, banana trees, angel trumpet, etc. My house is behind the controlled chaos.

Donovan

Thumbnail by Donovan

Your garden is lovely. Do you have many vines? I see a few. The Rugosa is very hardy and the rose hips can get quite large. Let me know how yours turns out this fall.

Thumbnail by mgarr

I Love vines. Actually I always tell my girlfriend if she stands still in my garden, I will tie her to a trellis. :) BTW, I just purchased two rugosa "Alba" for my lady. On white and one pink. Actually we were laughing because I found a recipe for Rose Hip Jam on the web. I see you have a lot of fruit. Incredible! I will let you know how it all turns out.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Preparation: Pick ripe rose hips after the first frost in the fall when they've turned bright orange or red. The frost helps sweeten the flavor. Trim off the stem and blossom ends, cut the hips in half and remove the seeds, then wash well.

Rose Hip Jam (This recipe has been around since the 1700s)

1 pound prepared rose hips (about 4 quarts)
1 cup of water
Sugar

In a large pan, add the rose hips and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until very soft--about 20 minutes (add more water if necessary). Press or strain the mixture through a sieve to remove any seeds and to reduce large chunks of hips. Add one pound of sugar (about 3 1/2 cups) to one pound of pulp and simmer. Check the taste and add more sugar if desired. Cook until the mixture has thickened to jam-like consistency. Pour into sterilized jars and seal. This is good to eat when you have a sore throat.

Rose Hip Puree (This is from an old 16th century recipe used to make rose hip tart)

1 1/2 cup prepared rose hips
3/4 cup water
2 T sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
1 T lemon juice

Simmer the prepared rose hips in water until soft -- about 10-15 minutes. Stir in sugar, spices and lemon juice and simmer for 5 minutes. Use puree for tarts, ice cream toppings or to eat as a sauce.

Rose Hip Tea

Prepare the rose hips as described above and place in a single layer on a drying screen. Allow to completely dry, then store in an air-tight jar in a cool, dark place. Hips may be used whole or slightly broken. Pour boiling water over the hips and allow to steep for 2 minutes. Strain.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2005 4:19 PM

Thumbnail by Donovan

I'm not sure where Englishtown is but I was just in NJ on Saturday past. I went to Well Sweep Herb farm in Port Murray NJ.
The have some wonderful plants and I've had their rose petal punch and rose petal cake. If you are close you should give them a visit. Cy the owner is very helpful and could probably help you out. They sell Rosa damascena which is heavily scented.

Never heard of Port Murray NJ but Mapquest said it's only 40 miles away. I Googled the Rosa damascena and found it to be as pretty as the Hansa and possibly more fragarent, so we will add this to our search. Thank you! I wanted to share a photo I took today, you will see more vines.

Do you ever make anything from your rose hips?

Donovan

This message was edited Jun 13, 2005 1:33 AM

Thumbnail by Donovan

This message was edited Jun 13, 2005 1:33 AM

Thumbnail by Donovan

Your yard, it's lovely. I love vines, but have no room for them. I have a vine with just so yellow flowers but the seed pods form to look like butterflies. I'll be happy to send you some seed this year so you can try this vine. I keep it inside all winter with no insect problems and it goes nuts outside in the sun.

Thumbnail by mgarr

I was at class today and took a picture of the Rosa damascena. Just standing by it in the hot sun the air was filled with the fragrance.

Thumbnail by mgarr

Thanks for the offer of the butterfly seed pods. I look forward to growing them. What is the name of that vine?

Based on your descriptions, I have added the “Rosa damascene” to my wish list. They must be exceptionally fragrant as I noticed perfume oils are made from them. On a different note, I planted the two Rugosa "Alba" I purchase recently and I am slightly disappointed in their appearance. They had no blooms when I purchased them, just buds. The tag illustrated multilayer pedals but as the buds opened today, I saw it was just a single layer. I ran out of room in my gardens so I made a new garden by my shed today.

Thumbnail by Donovan

Mascagnia macroptera is the name of the butterfly vine. The Rosa rugosa 'Alba' should have a bud with a pink blush that opens to a single white, fragrant flower. The rugosa's are wonderful, they don't need to be sprayed, are hardy to zone 3, produce edible flowers and hips, and are not appreciated. They seem to produce better and larger hips when more than one bush grows together. Good luck with yours. I loved the pictures of your house and garden, you have quite a collection of houseplants. I bet they keep you busy all winter. The only pictures I have of my garden are in my diary here on Dave's garden. Have a wonderful week.

You are correct about Rugosas not being appreciated. My girlfriend and I have never heard of them before but she saw one growing by a building and went on a quest to find out what it was. Now that we have discovered them, we look for them at every plant farm or store we go.

I Googled the “Mascagnia macroptera” and found “after just two years of production, this Mexican native vine has become the mail-order nursery's top seller”. I can see why.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2005 12:01 PM

I hope to take my girlfriend to Well-Sweep Herb Farm this weekend. I found the address on the web. Looks like a great place to visit! Its actually 63 miles away but I can see it's worth the trip, thank you.

http://www.njskylands.com/fmwellswp.htm

Also, I viewed some of the images in your diary, very pretty.

Thanks! I know you'll enjoy the flowers and gardens.

I went to Well-Sweep Herb Farm on Tuesday. They had no rugosas, too late in the season I suppose but it was not a wasted trip. I purchased a Chaste and Ginko tree, Rootbeer plant, Ruta graveolens (my second one) and shrub clematis. We toured the garden and it was very interesting. They have topiaries made from rosemary and I asked if it were a special hard variety because mine die every winter. I was told they dig them up every fall. So now I know. I will make a trip there next spring during the planting season. Thanks again.

Glad you enjoyed your visit. There is a Rosemary that is suppose to be hardy to zone 6 with protection. It is Rosmarinus 'Arp'. I left it out one winter with many pine needles all around the base and an old fish tank over the top to get light. It worked. The ground must be very well drained. If you try it make sure you mix in some small gravel before you plant it to make sure that it does have good drainage.

I will look for the “Arp”. I went to an Italian restaurant last year and they had dipping olive oil with lots of roasted garlic and rosemary, and I tell you, I felt like drinking from the container. It was that good! That started my liking for rosemary. Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.