PlantFiles Pictures: Hybrid Rugosa Rose 'Therese Bugnet', 1 by Donovan

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Donovan

In reply to: Hybrid Rugosa Rose 'Therese Bugnet'

Forum: PlantFiles Pictures

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hybrid Rugosa Rose 'Therese Bugnet'
Donovan wrote:
I Love vines. Actually I always tell my girlfriend if she stands still in my garden, I will tie her to a trellis. :) BTW, I just purchased two rugosa "Alba" for my lady. On white and one pink. Actually we were laughing because I found a recipe for Rose Hip Jam on the web. I see you have a lot of fruit. Incredible! I will let you know how it all turns out.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Preparation: Pick ripe rose hips after the first frost in the fall when they've turned bright orange or red. The frost helps sweeten the flavor. Trim off the stem and blossom ends, cut the hips in half and remove the seeds, then wash well.

Rose Hip Jam (This recipe has been around since the 1700s)

1 pound prepared rose hips (about 4 quarts)
1 cup of water
Sugar

In a large pan, add the rose hips and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until very soft--about 20 minutes (add more water if necessary). Press or strain the mixture through a sieve to remove any seeds and to reduce large chunks of hips. Add one pound of sugar (about 3 1/2 cups) to one pound of pulp and simmer. Check the taste and add more sugar if desired. Cook until the mixture has thickened to jam-like consistency. Pour into sterilized jars and seal. This is good to eat when you have a sore throat.

Rose Hip Puree (This is from an old 16th century recipe used to make rose hip tart)

1 1/2 cup prepared rose hips
3/4 cup water
2 T sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
1 T lemon juice

Simmer the prepared rose hips in water until soft -- about 10-15 minutes. Stir in sugar, spices and lemon juice and simmer for 5 minutes. Use puree for tarts, ice cream toppings or to eat as a sauce.

Rose Hip Tea

Prepare the rose hips as described above and place in a single layer on a drying screen. Allow to completely dry, then store in an air-tight jar in a cool, dark place. Hips may be used whole or slightly broken. Pour boiling water over the hips and allow to steep for 2 minutes. Strain.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2005 4:19 PM