What do Bergenia seeds look like?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My Bergenia 'Winterglow' bloomed this spring -- neat, hot pink flowers! KimGaither told me where to look for the seeds (inside flower, in the structures that "look like a pair of bowling pins"), and I assumed I should wait until the pods are dried & crispy. I crunched one of the "bowling pins" open, and found about 50 pale specks, not much larger than grains of dust and slightly elongated. Are those the seeds??

Here's the picture, with a pencil eraser for scale:

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

and here's a shot of the plant in bloom this spring:

Thumbnail by critterologist
New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Yep, those are the seeds alright. Can you post both pictures in the forum right here?

Heartleaf Bergenia, Pigsqueak 'Winter Glow' (Bergenia cordifolia) http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/78703/index.html

There are no pictures yet.

~* Robin☺

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Pictures have been added. I've been trying to upload a few things to PF every so often, but a nudge is always good.

Can you tell me if the seeds I have are fully ripe? Are they supposed to be so pale in color, or should they be dark?

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Thank you for this thread. I have some bergenia also and just found the old flower head. I forgot to look for it until this thread.

Quoting:
critterologist

1) Can you tell me if the seeds I have are fully ripe?

2) Are they supposed to be so pale in color?

Yes to both questions.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'll collect them tomorrow!

Thanks!!

(want some?)

oooooh, yessie; thanks for asking; critter!

~* Robin☺♪

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Robin, I let those blossoms dry for a bit inside before I tried to pick the pods apart. After trying to get those itty bitty seeds out from a few of the pods & not finding any really good way to separate them from chaff, I decided it might be better to send you some that were still in the pods. I did separate the little pods from the dried flower bits. Do you want me to just put them in the Herb RR since you're right after me on the list, or do you want to start them sooner?

Please send them with the Herb-RR.

I do know about tiny seeds and chaff... lol.

Thanks!

~* Robin☺

This message was edited Jul 2, 2005 3:13 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.