Mainly Foliage Containers

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

This one was inspired by the gift of New Zealand Flax that Heatherbelle gave the out-of-province attendees at the first Canadian Dave's Garden Round Up in Victoria, British Columbia.

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

With time I hope the Kiwi Fern Coleus and Black Potatoe vine will become a bit more obvious.

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

My favorite! Ü Trifolium repens 'Dark Dancer' was new to me this year.

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

This is my most treasured planter.......a creamer from the farm. I kick myself now that I didn't plant all white plants in it.

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I also picked up Black Mondo Grass in British Columbia.......it's one plant I have drooled over every time I see it posted here at Dave's (it isn't available at greenhouses on the prairies).

This message was edited Jun 5, 2005 8:57 AM

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

The newer varieties of coleus also grabbed my attention this year... hopefully the Millet will darken soon.

Thumbnail by Lilypon
boone, NC(Zone 5b)

Lilypon

I absolutely love your containers. I have only just begun to put mine together and want to wait to send pics until they're up a bit. But I will add the one below to this thread. It's in one of my shade gardens. Thanks for sharing these.

Thumbnail by irmaly
boone, NC(Zone 5b)

Oh, yeah, forgot to add. You inspired me this morning to order some of the Trifolium repens 'Dark Dancer'. I had not seen this before.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Hi Irmaly
I'm glad you enjoyed them and I think you will really enjoy Dark Dancer....I'm finding all the plants in that pot are doing very well. I think it is a fairly new introduction (since my pic was #3 in the PlantFiles ;).

I really like how you did yours....the Heucherella (I think) really makes the silver above pop! Ü

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Lilypon--your containers are so beautifully designed--you've given me inspiration and Irmaly yours are so romantic--

Yesterday we planted our new strawberry pot with shade plants--mini hostas and other foliage perennials... I will be interested to see how they survive/thrive in the strawberry pot. In the meantime, we think it's kind of cute...(forgive me for double posting on the hosta forum).

After seeing yours, I want to get busy and do some more shade containers!

Thumbnail by tabasco
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

What a lovely strawberry pot Tobasco! Ü The coloring of it makes me think of New Orleans. You have a wonderful assortment of plants in it. I wish I could get my hands on the amazing varieties of Hostas I've seen here in the Hosta forum.

Well, I'm really getting going now--

I went back up to your calla lily pot pic, and if you don't mind, I'm going to 'plagiarize' your combo in another mossy green pot and plant a calla I have in the ground that doesn't like her spot!

Off to the garden center for some mondo grass! That is, if you don't mind....?!

Happy gardening. t.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOL........have a blast tabasco! Ü

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh, those are gorgeous! I especially like the first picture and the creamer!

Tabasco, your strawberry pot is so pretty! I feel 20 degrees cooler just looking at it!

thanks, tucson---

yes, I had a purely decadent moment yesterday (90 degrees) lying in the hammock in the shade garden studying my Hosta Pot! Kept me cool for a little while! But I think I need MORE--it's going to be a long summer here in Cincy! :-) t.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks Jen (my fav name.....it's my daughters as well :). I was really, really happy when we discovered the creamer cleaning up the farm.

Tabasco please post a pic of yours when you are finished it. :)

lily--you must have started a fad. Black mondo grass is sold out everywhere! May have to substitute! Boo hoo---mondo grass is so chic! t.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOL.....wish they had sent it to the prairies! Better hit the trading forum tabasco......I can't but I have seen peeps offer it there.

So, I made a creative diversion from the plan--

I have looked all around Cincy for the Korean mondo grass, and I guess it's not in fashion here this year. Instead I found some 'iresine' which is quite nice, too. Put it together with my wine colored Calla and two hosta for a rather fetching pot, if I do say so myself!

Of course, I copied the idea from Lilypon! So she really deserves the credit! Thank you!

Here's my re-interpretation...

Thumbnail by tabasco

Ooops, wrong picture...wanted to show the pot, too...

Thumbnail by tabasco
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Tabasco that is drop dead gorgeous!!! Ü I've started a darker one that will take a month yet to catch up to yours....now I'll be copying you! :D

I love how the plant off to the side picks up the color of the Cala bloom! Ü

edited to add the varieties you put in your pot:
A big wine colored calla (from Lowes), two small hosta, purpley iresine, and angelonia....

This message was edited Jun 15, 2005 5:54 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

All those containers are fabulous! I feel like I have to do all mine over now! That planter in the shade with the purple heuchera around the bottom is to die for.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Lilypon and Tabasco, your combinations are very eye-catching and you have given me some good ideas. Here is my window box that is all foliage plants. I posted it earlier in the Coleus forum but thought I would post it here too.

Thumbnail by beardtongue
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

tabasco and beardtongue, both your containers are gorgeous!!
:) Donna

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

And you have just returned the favor Ü........thank you beardtongue!!! :D

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I can't believe these gorgeous containers!! tabasco, where DID you get that wonderful strawberry pot??? Inquiring minds want one. DH just walked in and saw it and he thinks it's the cat's meow!

I can't say enough about your beautiful pots, lilypon. I'm keeping the pics for next year's mix. I tried the Dark Dancer about 3 or 4 years ago, but I didn't do well with it. Yours looks great! Mine just sort of piddled around and didn't do anything, and I eventually pulled it up.

Judith

Thumbnail by revclaus

thanks everyone for your compliments on our little hosta strawberry pot experiment...

rev--we bought the pot at the local garden center, although I have seen it at several around the area...I think it was made in the Dominican Republic...I wish I had a couple more but they have sold out. ;-)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Judith yours looks wonderful as well......I'm soooooo glad I'm linked to this thread. I too will be refering to it for next years plantings. Ü I could make a guess at the varities of the plants in yours but would really appreciate the names.... :)

My pots are all in full sun......the coleus in them are sun lovers and Dark Dancer seems to enjoy it as well. We just had a stretch of days in the high nineties and all are looking really good.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

The creamer from the farm is to die for! Outstanding and perfect!

Next best is the coleus and how they match the brick. Perfect again!

You can send either of them to me whenever you want!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOLOLOL.......the Canadian postal system is a wee bit pricey pirl! ;)

Oh come on now! Show some mercy on the mom of a beagle who just had ultrasound!
It's true but I'd plea anything for that creamer.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOL.......DH said your heading to Conneticut would prolly be a *lot* cheaper than the SASE! ;)

This message was edited Jun 20, 2005 10:23 AM

He's right, of course. Just wishful thinking and garden lust on my part. Sorry!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I know the feeling ;)......most of what I see here isn't available in Canada! :(

So there I was in the rose garden, amongst so many pink roses, thinking of your creamer with the lovely pink "geraniums" (as I still call them instead of the correct pelargoniums) and came to the decision your DH wasn't right. Even if I found a creamer in CT it wouldn't be filled to the brim with flowers. I'd probably pass it right by.

Early this morning, after I left Suga (no 'r') in the caring hands of the vet, I took a five minute ride to the next town to this shop that's ten steps down from a yard sale but they can have some interesting pieces: not this time.

Enjoy your beautiful creamer: it's a delight for the eyes and belongs on Country Living's cover!

Arlene

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Lilypon, there's a bunch of stuff in there, the stuff I intended and a few things I added. Torenia 'Amethyst', Kale 'Redbor', Colocasia 'Illustris', Centaurea 'Colchester White', Quicksilver, Plectranthus 'Variegata'. Then I added an apple blossom nicotiana, a couple of miniature hostas (can't remember the names) and I think that's all. I bought a collection from Select Seeds, and then a kind person from DG who visited me in Denver sent me the hostas. There may be a coleus in there too that she brought as well. just love it. The EE haven't sprung up as I'd hoped. Maybe they're lost among the rest. :-(

Judith

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks pirl! Ü I do hope you get one as well.....we had a gorgeous stainless steel one with fancy scrolls on it too, at the farm, but it was sold years ago (no one thought of this kind of stuff then :(.

Thanks Judith! Ü I will be looking at this thread next spring.

You really have taught me to keep my eyes open for the possibilites!
Thank you.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Here's what some of the pots look like now........

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

and

Thumbnail by Lilypon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.