Best way to get very tiny seedlings off the filter paper?

Arroyo Grande, CA

What is the best way to get the tiniest seedlings off the filter paper and planted without damaging the cotyledons, stems or rootlets? I have tried using tweezers, scraping a bunch of them, neither is that satisfactory. Once you get hold of them it is hard to "plant them" in the cell. I tried putting a thin layer of coir and then laying them on it and putting a little more coir on top. I am not satisfied and it is very time consuming. There must be a better way. The little ones start growing into the paper quite fast.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Well I use a toothkpick; scrape them off gently in a downwards stroke, even the Dusty Miller (Centaurea cineraria) kind. Daisy kinds.

Use a pencil with a point or BBQ scewer to make a hole big enough for the stem to go through to transplant.

~* Robin☺♫

Arroyo Grande, CA

Thanks, I will try that.

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

A scalpel is also useful. Run it along the surface of the filter paper to approach from the bottom of the root, then, when you are well underthe root, lift it gently and the root and rest of the seedling should come away cleanly.

Arroyo Grande, CA

Good thought, though you will have to be careful not to cut the root. It seems like if you can get underneath the root and pry it loose without pulling, that would be best.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I tend to plant paper and all with some of the samller seeds....I just cut around the root in a large enough margin so as not to damage the root. I've had hit and miss success. :-)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

If all else fails, gently tear over to the root. I use a toothpick too. LOL

Arroyo Grande, CA

The toothpick method worked. I was looking tonight and quite a few are going strong. The bunch I just did on filter paper I made an effort to get better separation of the seed so they will not be so bunched up. Tooth pick came in handy for that as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.