The Special Seed Robin

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Dedicated to Mkeilers, the founder of this genious idea.

SSRB

The Special Seed Robin

PLEASE READ THOUROUGHLY!

How the SSRR works in the participants send me via Dmail a list of the seed that’d like to contribute.

I will go through their list and approve the "special" enough seed and decline anything ordinary. Then the participant will send to me the approved seed.

After all the seed is collected, I will post the list online. Participants may choose the seed they’d like to receive, I will okay the choices and they will issue a SASBE to me for those seed.

I will try to accommodate everyone’s requests but doubtless some kinds of seed will become unavailable due to high demand. I will take that seed off the list ASAP and notify any one who requested it so that they may choose a substitution. PLEASE pay attention to the ever updating list to see what is still available.

The SSRR is open to international subscribers as well. They will need to notify me especially and send special postage in the form of an international postage coupon or US currency for the calculated amount.

Rules:

1) Applicants to participate must include per packet:
• Common name if known
• Botanical name
• Amount of seed per packet unless they’re fine, dust like seed
• Germination instructions unless they’re in the plantfiles
• Must include a worthwhile amount of seed per packet
2) All applicants must submit to me via Dmail their list of seed for acceptance into the SSRR.
3) The seed bank will be posted when all seed is received, along with the amount per packet and how many of each kind are available.
4) If everyone wants the same kind of seed and there isn’t enough to go around, the person to receive that seed will be chosen by random and the rest informed so that they can make a second chose. The unavailable seed will be taken off the list.
5) The postage for the SASBE (Self Addressed Stamped Bubble Envelope) will be $1.00 (this does not pertain to international subscribers). If there is a remainder, it will be returned in your envelope.

Along with your SASBE include:
• DG Username
• Name
• Address
• Return labels

6) If you are an international subscriber (out of the USA), you will need to contact me and we will calculate the cost for your postage.
7) The amount of seed you contributed is the amount you may request in exchange. You are always welcome to contribute more than you want to get back.
8) Closing date for enlisting in the robin is as of yet undecided.
9) List will be posted as soon as all seed is received.
10) You may start requesting seed from the list after it has been posted.
11) Each person may only request one of each kind.
Instruction #1:
Send me via Dmail a list of the seed you would like to contribute. I will then reply with the acceptable seed and where you should send them to.

Include with your seed:
-Username
-Name
-Address
-Packets as described in rule #1
-And your $1.00 SASBE for the seed you’ll be getting in return.

Last but not least, add this to your watch list and watch this thread for your next instruction.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2005 4:00 AM

(Zone 7a)

I'm confused..because my brain isn't working right this morning. But if it has to do with seeds. I'm IN!
I have seeds comming out the ears. I definitely need to let some go.
Count me in and I'll make sure I know what I'm doing when it's my turn...LOL

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 9a)

I am new to this. I realize that if I have to ask this question, I probably don't have any. But, what is considered "special seed"?

Dee

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

This turned into more of a swap than a round robin, so some of the rules have me a little confused.

Why not send SASBE by including return postage and a return label with our seeds (as for a swap), rather than issuing you SASBE at the end? Maybe I got confused, but that's how I read the wording, that you wanted us to send seeds and SASBE separately.

With rule #4, I think you might be setting yourself up for a disorganized stampede of seed requests. If we're not setting this up like a round robin (letting everyone take and add seeds to an online list), then how about something like this.... Everybody submits a list of seeds they'd like to receive, putting the list in order of preference, and including several alternate selections at the end. In whatever order seems fair/good to you, sort the seeds into virtual piles, starting with everyone's #1 selections, then #2, etc up to their maximum number of selections (according to the number they put in). Hopefully, this would cut down on your having to go back & forth with emailing to figure out people's preferences & alternate selections, since they'll be stated outright.

I know everyone has a different approach for this sort of thing, so obviously it's up to you. I just didn't want you to get into endless email loops, trying to make everyone happy! Please take this as nothing more than friendly suggestion.

BTW, is it OK to include "special seeds" we received in trades as well as seed collected ourselves or purchased from a reputable supplier? I'd like to offer any of my extra seeds that seem un-ordinary to me, but many of mine were from trades.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, and for Dee & others who are just seeing this.... This robin had its origin in this thread, http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/497673/ I don't know if skimming through will explain what's going on or just make it more confusing, but I thought I'd post the link.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks but I'm going to bow out.
Jan...

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 9a)

I think I'll have to pass on this one. I don't believe I'll have anything 'special'. I'm too new back into gardening.

Dee

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

If you guys have any questions, please contact me via dmail.

(Zone 7a)

Sooo sorrry..I thought I could participate. But I must bow out too. Maybe next time.
Kim

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

CaptMicha, please don't take offense, but I think this must be confusing people. After you approve and receive seeds, why not just finish like a regular round robin, sending it around to everyone and let them take out what they want? Hopefully everyone would be honest enough to take out only the number they contributed. You could post how many each person is allowed in case they forget. If it would keep people honest, you could keep a running tally of how much should be in the box when it reaches each person. Maybe this is too confusing! Oh well....

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Maybe , because I'm doing the SG swap, this made perfect sense to me. I think Michelle meant we send teh return postage and mailing label with our seed... As for her manner of sorting, given the limited number of special seeds I have I think her way is more "efficient"?

Any way, Michelle, I'm in and sending you an email of my list. If you don't think my quantities per pack are sufficient just let me know.

Barb

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

In the origional thread we were discussing the merits of both kind of robins, gingerlily. People were leaning towards the seed bank type of robin because they wanted something different.

With this kind, it's guaranteed that you get what you want, and mailing costs would be even cheaper because instead of having to finance to passing around of a heavy package, you just put in for your own seed.

I've changed the above to reflect that when you send in the seed you're contributing that you should also send in your $1.00 return sasbe at the same time to save on postage.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Is this still on or off or closed?

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

What's the $1 sasbe for?Confused,Jody

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

I think she means the $1 return postage for the SASBE to send back your seeds to you.

Barb

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm confused with this, too. It sounds like this is a swap, more than a robin. What happens if we send in seeds and don't find anything on the list we are interested in. I have some hard to find seeds, but don't know that I'd want to send them in, unless I was sure there was something I really wanted.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Crested, as of now, this "robin" is still on.

Yes... it's less of a robin and more like a seed bank.

Momcat, that was the point of this robin. You're suposed to share something very unusual for unusual seeds in return. To guarantee that the list will be unusual, I will be screening the seed. I'm only accepting the rare and unusual.

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

I'll be looking to see what I can send. Only a few that might be considered unusual I think. We'll see. If they don't make the cut, oh well....I tried.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

OK
checking my seeds out tomorrow

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Nothing wrong with trying!

I know that a lot of what you guys call common down in Florida would be exotic and worthy to us in the cold states. You never know so trying doesn't hurt.

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Michelle, I'll send off my approved seeds to you tomorrow, with your Earthquake rose. LMK when they arrive and that the rose made it okay...

Barb

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Will do! I'll be able to start your roses soon too!

Scotland, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Hi CatpMicha,
Has this swap closed? I'd be interested in participating if my seeds make the cut lol. I can get the list to you right away, and would probably post US cash for the return postage. Got my fingers crossed and my seed list is here, just hope it's not too late.
Shell in Scotland

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Oh, wow! Seeds from Scotland... my genes are applauding...

Barb

Hmmmm...Barb, do you think Scottish thistles would be welcome LOL they are weeds here but they are still beautiful, stately ones I think ;) but no one else over here seems to enjoy them. Then, of course there's the heather which is beautiful when it's in full bloom on the mountains in early autumn!! But one plant that people hate finding in their garden, although I don't understand why is Gorse. It's a plant that has lots of spines and is a dark green, it has no special requirements as it grows in poor soil as well as rich soil and it doesn't care about water either...in the spring and through the summer it has bright golden yellow flowers that actually smell like coconut...I enjoy picking the flowers to bring in the house as the scent is just wonderful. My first year over here I fell in love with all these plants and other than the heather, the locals thought I was nuts :o) But, if there are any seeds over here that you would like, give me a shout, if I don't have them, I will try and find them.

Ok, now I'm off to try and work out how to list all my other seeds that I've got for swaps. I keep getting side-tracked by reading yet another interesting page on here...how do you all get anything done LOL I've spent hours on here and haven't yet done what I came on to do...it's just so much fun and so darn interesting!!

I hope you are all having a lovely day, it's been a typical Scottish summer day here ... it's in the mid 70's and raining! So only the hanging baskets to water this evening. Take care and happy gardening!

Shelley

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Well, I'd take heather and thistle, even if Michelle doesn't need it for this swap. Isn't gorse an edible berry?

Barb

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Shelley's got a LOT of great seed to pick from. I don't think she mentioned gorse though!

Barb, the seeds aren't ripe yet, but when they are I'll pop them out to you along with the other seeds I'm going to send you. I have to confess, I LOVE the Scottish thistle, it's so much nicer than the ground thistle that doesn't really flower well and hurts like heck when you step on it because you didn't see it. There are two different types over here, one with tiny purple flowers and one with the large flowers...I'll collect seed for both, and I'll try to find their proper botanical names for you, but I'll also include a photo of them, so you can see what you think of them.

As for Gorse being an edible berry, I don't know. I've not seen or heard of anyone eating them other than the odd cow now and again if the berries are far enough away from the spines. I believe the Higland sheep do as well, but I've never heard of humans eating it...but I'll check it out for you and see what info I can find on it. We have an elderly couple who live next door, they've lived in the house for almost 70 years now and they are really into their plants also. Betty does a lot of pickeling while Peter loves his fruit and vegetables, but has an amazing knowledge of all the plants that grow wild in this area. We also have a professional gardener who lives across from us...and if all else fails, I'll check with my Botany Instructors.

CaptMicha, I didn't mention the gorse in the list of possible special seeds as I didn't think it was special LOL I've got loads of other seeds though, so I'm trying to get them listed for anyone who wants them, but if you think gorse might be classified as a special seed, let me know and the next SSRR I'll make sure to have some :o)

Hope everyone's having a lovely week!

Shelley

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks, Shelley! You're the best! Ellie is beside herself over seeds from Scotland!

Barb

Blenheim, New Zealand

I would not plant Gorse, nice smelling, but very hard to control,

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/49606/

hope to join you All

have sent my list to CaptMicha, for approval

Boots

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

Any possibility of action?

oiartzun-near san se, Spain(Zone 8a)

I was wondering the same Mike.
Maggi

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.