Seeds from Poland as gift

Kenmore, WA(Zone 8b)

Hello There! My friend's mother brought me a packet of Calendula seeds from Poland. Now people are telling me that it is illegal for me to plant them in the US. No one knows where that info came from, they just "heard" it somewhere. I'm a simple backyard organic garden novice, and I love Calendula. I use it for skin creams I make. I would like to plant the Poland seeds in pots away from my other plants. I'm mostly curious about them and if I can use them the same way I use the Calendula in my garden now.
If you have any suggestions or info that will help me, it will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hey newgirl2seeds....Welcome to DG!

I don't know the specifics but it's probably got something to do with spreading disease/pests that may be native to Poland and could create problems here.

I did purchase some flower seeds (Matthiola/Night Blooming Stock) that were produced in and exported from Poland a few years ago. I got them at a local Ace Hardware store with a large Polish clientele. Perhaps the seeds have to pass certain regulations before being exported to the USA.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on import/export agricultural regulations will come along and give you some better advice.

Toni

Kenmore, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank You Toni! I'm going to check out the local Polish community to find some one to read the package for me. Since it is a commercial product and not home-grown seeds, I'm hoping all will be okay to plant.
Mostly thank you for responding to my question. I'm grateful to have found this site. And reading all of the other questions and answers people have posted I'm sure I have found a great resouce. And you all seem so FRIENDLY.
Thank You!
Janis

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

You might want to pose this question over in the International Trading Forum, as it just might be more apt to catch the eyes of those who do. :) http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/intl/

And welcome to DG from the other side of the Cascades, Janis!
Donna

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Janis....check your mail.

Toni

Kenmore, WA(Zone 8b)

First -- thank you Toni and Donna for your suggestions. I will pursue them immediately.
Secondly -- OH MY GOODNESS! I have been travelling all over this website and getting myself lost, and then finding myself somewhere completely unexpected that is also magnificent, and then lost again, and then . . . This HAS to be the most fun I've had on my new computer ever!. Well, this is also my first computer and most of the time I haven't a clue what I'm doing. But getting "lost" has been delightful. What an amazing amount of information you people have. I thought I'd have to quit my job when I discovered I was actually good at gardening so I could stay home all day in the dirt. Now I want to quit my job just to stay home and read all of the things you write back and forth to each other. I'm so grateful to have found you. Thanks.
Okay -- that was a personal moment of excitement. And now that it's said, I will keep my messages to serious questions.

Toni -- if I wanted to take you up on your "offer" how and where would I contact you?

Donna -- I'm considering moving to the "other side", but I don't know anyone over there who can tell me first-hand about the gardening environment. I'm addicted to my yard at the moment and I can't imagine not having the same over there. Can you (sometime down the road) fill me in on things you have discovered. And if so, how would I contact you with questions?

There seem to be so many "threads" (right?) and I'm not sure where to write what -- except the absolute obvious to me. So, I hope I get this right eventually.
Thank You.
Janis

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Janis...just click on my name and it'll take you to my Garden Site where you can leave me a personal mail. We can take it from there.

Toni

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

It's not illegal to plant your seeds. For seeds to be imported legally they need a phytosanitary certificate. Without the certificate they might have been confiscated coming into the country. You've already got the seeds, plant them and enjoy.

Kenmore, WA(Zone 8b)

I have the answer! Thanks Toni and Momcat -- your suggestions led me to the internet and eventually I found a company who sells these particular seeds. I emailed them and asked if I could buy their seeds and plant them in the USA. Their reply was one word -- YES -- so I'll be happily planting my first seeds this weekend. Couldn't have done it without you!!! Thanks!!
Janis

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

My dad speaks Polish, if you're able to scan it, he can translate for you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.