Naked Lady?

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

The blooms certainly look like Naked Ladies, but the foliage is a little confusing. In this picture you can see some broken off foliage down on the right side at the base of the scape.

I thought I had bought this plant from a lady over east of town, but I have so many things that I got ajumble in the move, I'm just not sure any more.
The blade type of foliage stayed visible all year, at least until the landlord did some over zealous mowing. Anyway, seems like only yesterday this bloom scape came up with buds on it. I turned my back for an hour and there were 2 blooms open.

While I'm here talking about Naked Ladies, I received a bunch of them from the KY Round Up last September. I brought them home and planted them. Most (as I could tell) came up with 2 green blades of foliage and never bloomed and now the foliage has died back. What's happening?

Thanks for any help.

Molly
:^)))

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Here's a head-on picture of the bloom. Hey, maybe it's a "not red" amaryllis?

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

Molly,

Wish you had more foliage, looks like a Crinum lily to me. Maybe
Gulf Pride, mine are blooming now, but mine has long large leaves. Is the bulb large with a thick neck?? Nake Ladies are more like Blood Liy bloom, round, one bloom per stalk. Nake Lady Blooms before the leaves come up, bloom dies then the leaves appear.

Honeybee

HoneyBee,

The bulb is large, but not humongous. The foliage blades are long and about 1 1/2 inches wide at their widest. You certainly could be right that it is a crinum.

It is probably one I got here locally, and is a tropical.

As for the Naked Ladies bulbs, kinda weird the foliage came first. What is their bloom season? Maybe their cycle got switched due to coming from Tn via KY to Florida?

Thanks,
Molly

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

i am Not saying a word .
Nice ones Molly we grow some wild ones in Ok .
pink and red ,but white and yellow not hardy here

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Looks like Crinum Lily to me also.
One type of naked ladies bloom here in Sept. and the other one blooms mid to late summer. The one that blooms mid to late summer looks like this.

Thumbnail by Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Here's the one that blooms in Sept. Not the best picture. I'll see if I can find better one.

Thumbnail by Georgiaredclay
Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

Georgia,

We call the pink lilies Magic Lilies.

Honeybee

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

We call them surprise lily

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I have to agree..I think its too early for Naked Ladys..their foliage is green and dies back after spring and them pop up around August or September..don't they?

Jeanne,

Thank you for that info, that was part of my question about the Naked Ladies. Now I know what and when to look for them next. :^)))))

They all bloomed this weekend and now the bloom stalk has tipped over. Seems like the blooms were much better at night than the daytime.

Here's a picture of the foliage. It seems to be recovering from the mower.

Is this any help?

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Ciniums also have thick foliage like that as well as the Amaryllis..which they are both from the same family

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Molly if that is a naked lady it is one that I posted above that I call surprise lily. It is definetly not the other one. If it bloomed and had the leaves it isn't a naked lady. The naked lady is called that because when it blooms all the leaves have died back to the ground and the bloom comes up with out any leaves thus the naming the naked lady.
I think that might be a crinum also. It sure looks like the leaves of some I have seen.

Jim,

I do believe that might be right. When someone asked me how big the bulb was, I checked and it was good sized. I have some other ones the lady said were "hurricane lilies" but I have one more like this one that reeeaaally got mowed back (not by me tho). It too is trying to regain itself.

BTW, I found out it wasn't my landlord that mowed these plants and blew all the grass in my pond. He hired someone to do that for him.

Thanks Jim
Molly

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I have some of both of the above and the next roundup you and I both attend I will bring you some of both if you want some.

Thank you Jim,

That would be great.

My next I hope will be KY

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Me too. Don't forget you owe me a song.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.