IBs are starting!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

DARK BLIZZARD is another one with very large blooms, but with very nice color this time. I probably caught this photo during the 5 minutes after opening before the standards flopped WIDE OPEN. It also didn't make it out of the fan in this year of numerous late freezes.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

CONCERTINA is a pretty little spaceager who is blooming here for the first time on a nice tall, straight stalk.

Thumbnail by laurief
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

My Appleblossum Pink got hit hard by frost over a month ago, but came back and is still blooming. I have a few IBs, but hoping to add more. yours are really lovely, Laurie.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

WILLOW WARE is one I've been awaiting for years. Now that it's finally blooming, I'm afraid I'm unimpressed. The form is really lacking on this one. In all fairness, though, it might have looked much better without all the late freezes.

Thumbnail by laurief
Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I always have questions about these threads on iris. What is a spaceager? amoena? cv?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

spaceager (space age iris) = an iris with appendages extending from the beards. Appendages can be horns, spoons, or flounces.

amoena = color pattern with white standards and darker falls

cv = cultivar

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

This one surprised me. Not that I don't expect interesting plicatas from Keith Keppel. LOGO is just a whole lot more interesting than most. Actually, I suspect the color splashing is a result of all the late freezes this year.

Thumbnail by laurief
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Laurie - I do love Concertina - and for you in warmer climates, it reblooms and here it's around for almost two months. A great iris with lots of stems and buds.

thanks Laurie. I have see the horns on some irises and also have a couple amoenas

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

GNU RAYZ is "gnu" for me this year. It's a dramatic plicata, but I sure wish it would have made it out of the foliage. I nearly had to lie on my belly to get this shot! I'm sure it'll do better when it's had another year to settle in.

Thumbnail by laurief
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Laurie~

I have Gnu Rayz and let me assure you, it DOES rise above the foliage. It's really stunning in a clump as well!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

GYPSY QUEEN is a small-flowered old gal who is tough as nails in the frigid north. She came to me from a friend in zone 3 NH. There just doesn't seem to be anything these old historics can't handle.

Thumbnail by laurief

Laurie, you have a way with words that makes me giggle. "Gnu to you" :)

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

ABBEY CHANT is not quite as clear a yellow as I prefer, and it started to fold its petals just hours after opening this morning. Even so, it's attractive enough if you don't mind bending its petals back into position.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I am very pleased with GODDESS OF LUCK's maiden bloom here. I just love the complexity of colors and pattern.

Thumbnail by laurief
Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Laurie --

Here's one from my trade list. Apollo One. This one's only been in my garden 2 years but it needs divided already. Multiplies like crazy.

Thumbnail by Elizabethtown
Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

While this one gets to stay right where it is for another year or two, this one is my favorite IB of the year and I just have to share it with everyone.

Introducing, Jane Eyre.

Thumbnail by Elizabethtown

I had some to bloom close to the ground too, this year. Never had that happen before....

Laurie, do you still have Intermediates opening during your Tall Bearded Season?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Yup, sure do.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I have the same thing. This year my IB's and TB's were almost neck and neck.

I had my last TBs open BEFORE a few Intermediates. the Dwarfs were interrupted by hard freezes in late April and bloomed out of sequence too. A Spring to remember, for sure!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

WINGS OF LOVE isn't my favorite pink IB, but it's here and it's blooming. That's reason enough for my appreciation and enjoyment.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

BRONZAIRE is an interesting color combination, but it hasn't wowed me in its maiden bloom. I may be more impressed with a mature clump. Time will tell.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

CLARA GARLAND finally has her rightful name in my garden. Through a long, contorted, and frustrating turn of events, I ended up with two potential CGs. This last week, I was able to send pics of both to Cy Bartlett, CG's hybridizer, for proper identification. Here is the correct CLARA GARLAND, a vibrant blond with alluring red-brown eyelashes.

And now I have one more to dig for the unknown bed.

Thumbnail by laurief
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wings of Love isn't terribly outstanding, but she is a sweet little thing!

For a rank amateur, you folks amuse me with your critiques. I think they are all beautiful.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

RED ZINGER is putting on a vibrant show this year. My brightest red median.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

LOW HO SILVER has staged a welcome comeback this year after ailing for the last several years. Apparently this one is just barely hardy enough to survive severe winters with minimal insulating snow cover. I nearly lost it twice after such winters. Before that, though, it was one of very few irises that ever managed to rebloom here. Perhaps this year I'll see rebloom again!

Thumbnail by laurief
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LOL Rank amateurs? Count me among those numbers.

Beautiful as always, Laurie.

Red Zinger has been in my garden for 3 years without a bloom. Doesn't like frozen buds, apparently.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

RED ZINGER took a while to settle in here, as well. Once it decided it was acclimated, it's done pretty well.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

An historic IB this time, showing maiden bloom on a short stalk - NAVAJO dressed to impress in fancy pinstripes.

Thumbnail by laurief
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Elizabethtown, where did you get Jane Eyre? I loved that book when I was in grade school... one of my favorites...

Laurief, Red Zinger certainly IS vibrant... lovely, too!

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Local Iris Society sale, not sure if FSK or C&P (went to both last year). Not big enough to divide yet and I am having trouble finding a distributor for you. Sorry I can't be of more help. Puttytat placed a picture in the database, maybe has a clue? I think the one for sale was left over from convention in DC perhaps.

Starr--Ihave extra Red Zinger since I just had to move a clump. (How DID it get in that back row? Oh, I guess the bed kinda got bigger.... :) Email me if you still need it.

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Laurie, I was noticing my historic has the same color falls as your GYPSY QUEEN. Are there a lot like this?

Thumbnail by hooked
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

hooked,

If you visit the following link on the HIPS site, you'll be on a page where you can compare a selection of some historic variegatas. To answer your question, I believe there are quite a few old historics with fairly similar variegata patterns (but I'm by no means well-educated in historic irises).

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Comp_variegata/Comparisons.html

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

I just love these variegatas. Thanks

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Gosh, those standards are so translucent!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.