IBs are starting!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

The first IB of the season and perhaps my favorite. SPECIAL CLASS doesn't have the most modern form, but the colors simply can't be beat!

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Iris lurida is a species iris that fits within the IB class. It's a first time bloomer here. There's something truly endearing about the species form.

Thumbnail by laurief
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

My IBs are winding down--I love seeing yours! Keep the photos coming...

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

love that special class !
((( Wow ))))

Oh Tazzy, face it--you love them ALL! :)

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

oh they are so beautiful where is deer river know where Mora is?? last June maybe there my turn take mother few days, week to 10 days rest take off Canada, alaska or??

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Deer River is quite a ways north of Mora. It's between Bemidji and Grand Rapids, closer to Rapids.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

BLESSED AGAIN may not be the prettiest face in the garden, but it's very vigorous and reliable.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Not very vigorous in my garden but VERY beautiful, NECTAR.

Thumbnail by laurief
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

What size do these grow? I really would like to add more iris that bloom later than TBearded.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

If you want irises that bloom after TBs, you're going to have to go to the beardless types. IBs bloom before TBs at a height range of 16-28".

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

More lovelies open today. FAST FORWARD is a new bloomer for me and one that I'm hoping might even be able to rebloom here. Very vigorous!

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I've been waiting for PROTOCOL! I do love yellow amoenas! Another first-time bloomer for me.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

AGATHA CHRISTIE's second bloom opened with the normal 3+3 (as opposed to the first bloom which had 4+2). This is sure a pretty IB.

Thumbnail by laurief
Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

laurief - SPECIAL CLASS is a must have. Those colors are beautiful.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Ooooh! I bought 'Protocol' this year and will be planting it this summer. I'm glad to see it's so outstanding! I love yellow amoenas too!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

ASTOUNDED is a definite bright spot in the garden. Orange is always a little startling in the iris beds.

This message was edited May 30, 2005 3:01 PM

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Another arilbred (I have so few I didn't want to start a different thread just for them). JEWEL OF OMAR is blooming larger and taller than it ever has. JoO adds its own exotic twist to iris bloom season.

Thumbnail by laurief
Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

its so beautiful all of them are..

Due to the delays caused by my late freezes, I have Intermediates blooming right now in the middle of Tall Bearded season. And a whole group in the west garden have decided not to bloom this year at all. At least I get to enjoy yours.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I only have dwarf, tall, siberian and Japanese. Is the advantage to an IB that you don't have to stake them - I'd love that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

pirl,

You are absolutely correct! I never have to stake my IBs (or BBs or MTBs). Also, IBs fill the gap between the MDB/SDB and TB bloom periods. My SDBs are pretty much at peak right now, the IBs have just started blooming, and the TBs are still developing their stalks. Not only do IBs bloom between the dwarfs and talls, they also bloom with stalk heights and flower sizes that are mid-range between the dwarfs and TBs. They are "intermediate" in every sense of the word.

You REALLY ought to be adding some IBs to your collection!

Laurie

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

You never quite know what to expect from BIT OF CHOCOLATE. Sometimes delectable. Sometimes dog doo.

How's THAT for a description!

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

SONORAN SANDS never falls short of vibrant perfection.

Thumbnail by laurief
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

*lol* Laurie........now dog doo would not be my first choice........but if it looks like a duck........acts like a duck............

love the photos! keep em' comming!

Or THIS year when some Tall beardeds bloom before the dwarfs and some of the Intermediates bloom halfway into the Tall Bearded season. Add stunted growth from late freeze and you can't tell them apart without a scorecard!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Wanda,

I have noticed that a lot of my SDBs are putting out flowers no larger than MDBs, and some that are typically good about blooming above the foliage are hiding their little blooms down near the rzs. Sure does make photographing them a challenge this year.

RUBY ERUPTION bloomed a very interesting clump this year with flowers open of all sizes and at all heights. I'll see if I got a decent pic and post it to my SDB thread if I did.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Another new bloomer in my garden, COUNTRY DANCE is a beautiful blend from the pastel palette.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM lends a gorgeous contrast to my IB bed that is, at the moment, dressed primarily in hues of pink.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

PINK KITTEN has me purring with delight. A new treasure this year.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Another brilliant yellow amoena to brighten even the gloomiest day, TACT.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

What APPLEBLOSSOM PINK lacks in beauty it makes up for in reliable bloom.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

RIVER OF DREAMS is a new bloomer this year. I've seen really beautiful pics of this cv, but my first bloom is a little ... um ... krinkly. Perhaps it's a little frost damaged. I'll reserve judgement until it's been in my garden another year and settled in well.

All in all, a pretty bloom.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

JOHN is looking as good as he ever does.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Another new pink in my beds. WARM PUPPY looks better in my camera than it does in my garden, unfortunately. Perhaps subsequent blooms that (hopefully) make it above the foliage will earn my praise.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Among 17 cvs that started their bloom cycles yesterday, DREAM INDIGO is the one I kept coming back to time and time again. It absolutely blew me away with its flambouyant ruffles and breathtaking deep velvet falls. I couldn't take my eyes off it!

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Here's another iris that knows how to make an entrance. No one will ever accuse BISTRO of being a wallflower!

Thumbnail by laurief
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Laurie, those blooms are picture perfect.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Laurie--I'm making notes on all of your (wonderful, cute, fun) IB descriptions and I will be putting in an order,...you really should be writing for a catalog ---you've sold me on IBs!

thanks for posting your iris photos...I always enjoy (lurking on) your threads.

Happy gardening. t.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

HILLS OF LAFAYETTE sports very large blooms. If only they had more appealing color.

Thumbnail by laurief

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.