Need advice on choosing strawberries

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I am planting a strawberry patch and need advice on the best strawberries to grow. I live in zone 6. I've heard that the Allstar is bland and not worth the trouble so what are your favorite strawberries and why? I am choosing a variety of June, everbearing and day neutral......

Mobi

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

I can't advise much, but where did you hear about the Allstar strawberries? I think we got some this year, they do taste like red cardboard... unless you let them hang out till they are amost prunish, then they are a little sweet. Fortunately the robins like them, so I think I will leave them in the garden as decoys for the birds so maybe I will have more of the good variety for myself. Is there any way to identify the Allstar? These seem to have very thick stems leading to the berries. The sweet ones have narrow stems. I never really paid much attention to the variety of the berries we bought... maybe we should from now on... hope you get some good info here (silverfluter's DH... Tom)

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I heard about the strawberries here on the plant files. Someone said they aren't worth the trouble. But most of the other plantfiles have no opinions which is why I posted here. I have no idea how to tell one strawberry from another except online it says which strawberry is being sold.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.