Aristolochia Gigantea

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

It seems like the cold was good for it, it is loaded with buds and flowers.

Thumbnail by Calalily

More flowers

Thumbnail by Calalily

The whole vine

Thumbnail by Calalily

Another A. Gigantea

Thumbnail by Calalily

Aristolochia Elegans/littoralis is loaded with buds and flowers too. It is the same age as A. Gigantea, but doesn't grow as fast(I have to cut Gigantea back because it tends to get rampant and was threatening to cross the fence and take over the neighbors yard).

Thumbnail by Calalily

Wow that is something else! I sure like the unique blooms. Your brug looks like it's gonna bloom soon also. Thanks for sharing.

They are all loaded with buds, but I have some yellow leaves. I just couldn't keep up with the watering during this hot spell.
Double Peach from NHE lost her buds, I let her wilt. The one in the 4th picture is Eventide II, a seedling of Eventide. Same color, bigger flowers and tougher plant, just not as many flowers as it's momma.

Well They Look great too me. I know about the watering and we are now having a hot spell. It's been so cold and wet here and now Bang!! Temps in the upper 80's. My poor brugs are having heat stroke....
I sure love your Aristolochia. I have never seen one in real life before. I bet children are intrigued by the blooms. I know I am.....LOL

Where I work, our secretary has a little girl(3 years) and she loves flowers. I showed her a picture of the aristolochia flowers and she said "Bring me one" and when I brought it in she loved it! She showed it to everyone who came in that day.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

That is too cool
mine is 3 inches high...maybe 2
guess I have a long way to go

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Calalily, you are just as bad as some of those California gardeners with all their various and fun vines. LOL I too would love to see the vine in person. I bet you are really enjoying all the tropical stuff you can do now in Texas. Keep all your great pictures coming.

Gardenguykin, what part of Salem do you live in? Have you ever heard of Mt. Angel.? I am only about 20 miles from Salem.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Wholey Smoley,Cala.
Looks like the invasion of the seedpods!!!
Don't dare go to sleep tonite!!!LOL!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow, Susie. I wish mine would bloom like that.

I agree some of those blooms look like they are from a Sci-Fi movie....LOL
Susie, That is really neat about the young girl at work. I just knew seeing those that a child would love them.
Lenjo, Yes I know Mt. Angel used to go to the Abbey quite a bit. I sure love the view from there. I also like the town. Very nice and laid back except during the October Fest....LOL I live near Bush Park and South Salem High School. If your ever in the neighborhood during the summer in the evening you will know where I live. The Brugs give off a wonderful scent, I'm the tropical lookin home....LOL Nice to meet you by the way.
Kin

I have pods, lol. Now I'm afraid to walk out there in the dark!
Guess what? My confederate jasmine has seed pods, and so does the pandorea jasminoides! It's the invasion of the pods!

If they turn into people GET Worried
LOL

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, gardenguykin, I am about 5 miles east of town, I can see our farm from the top of the Abbey hill, just look east out beyond the bells and you will see a farm that has a border of trees all around it. That's us. My hubby loves evergreen trees.

Calalily, how long from seed to blooming vine on those two you say have pods? I did get pandorea to come up once. Is this the pink one?

Lenjo, the pandorea and aristolochia take two years to bloom from seed. I've never grown a confederate jasmine from seed so I don't know how long they take.
The pandorea with the pods is pure white.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

yours looks great, I posted a picture of mine not long ago, and now it's not flowering any more, it's in the greenhouse, maybe it's too hot or something I'm not sure, no buds on it at all. it had more than this last year as a new plant, I'm kind of wondering if I need to put it outside, but it will surely die in the winter with the teen weather we have won't it?

kathy_ann

Kathy, I don't think they are hardy there. I don't think they mind the heat, we have been in the 90's all this week because of some high pressure that is stalled out. One of mine gets some shade in the afternoon, but the other is in full sun all day. The one that gets some shade has prettier leaves, but they both have lots of flowers.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

oh man, what am I doing wrong then, for me to get no blooms, it is in a big pot growing up int o the rafters. but no blooms. darnit, LOL

Too much nitrogen in the fertilize?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

what kind should I use?

I only fertilized it once, just the other day. it's never been fertilized, maybe that's why LOL

Well if you just now fertilized, it's not too much nitrogen! The book says apply a balanced fertilize monthly and give ample water. I fertilize mine with either azalea food or Palm food, the time release kind.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

thanks for the help

kathy

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

Great looking vine Calalily! It has been hot over here as well and everything is trying to go to seed. My daylilies had large pods on them and I cut them off hoping they would bloom a little while longer. It has already hit 97 degrees here and we have not had any rain since March. Planted some Dutchman's Pipe seeds but have not had any germinate as yet. Planted them in partial shade to shield them a little bit from the heat and wind. Also, the ground stays moister in the shadier areas of the garden. Thanks for the info. that it takes 2 years for them to bloom from seed.

On another note, my DH went out today and bought some more plywood and some kind of hardware deals so we now have all we need to cover the windows in case of hurricanes. He said the water temp is already in the high 80s and that it is the highest for this time of year since we moved to CC..

Kin, I bet your plants are all confused. Heard on the news about the heat wave out West but did not realize it was getting that much warmer in the Northwest as well. Hope your brugs play it cool. Barb

Barb, we need to finish getting the plywood for the windows. I'm glad you reminded me! DH said he wouldn't be surprised if we got a hurricane this year.
It's cloudy today, looks like it might rain, I hope it does.

Hi Susie, I am so glad to see that your still alive and the pods didn't get you...LOL I have been so busy the past few days with the heat. Yes Barb we have had record high's the past two days. LOW 90's. Ughh!!! My poor brugs and other plants sure did go into shock. Last week it was wet and low 60's. Now we are gonna get thunder storms the next two days.

I sure hope you get some rain Susie. I sure don't wish any bad weather on you like a hurricane. I think we need some rain now also after the past week of hot weather.
Lenjo, Next time I'm at the Abbey I will sure be on the look out for your place. Sounds beautiful. Hope your tolerating the weather we have had the past week.

Kin, we always hope they hit up above us, there are a couple of counties with very few people and nothing along the coast. That way there is minimal damage, no people get hurt and we still get lots of water!

That type of weather just scares me. We are fortunate here in Oregon not to get the extreme rath of Mother Nature. When I lived in TX for awhile I was scared to death of the tornado's. I sure hope you don't have any terrible weather this time of year!! Best of Luck...

We had a thunderstorm here last night. The kind you go and unplug your computer for...Learned that lesson when lightening struck a huge cottonwood tree in our next door neighbor's yard last year. It fried my computer's motherboard, monitor, a phone, and a TV. You could see where the thunder bolt hit the massive tree right in two parts and burned the lawn and even raised up the concrete of his walkway heading into his home. Surge protectors are no help in major Texas style storms. Anyway, there were some reports of hail in Alice and around the the region as well as tornado alerts last night but fortunately all we got was wind and a little rain. Had just planted some hot season annuals so the weather really helped the garden out this time.

Calalily, hope you do get your plywood now because it is supposed to be a bumpy ride this year.

Got part of it, have to put the bolts on it that slide into holes on the window casings. We had a wind/thunder storm last night. Lots of rain, the thunder rattled dishes in the cabinets it was so loud!
The aristolochia came thru the storm just fine, they're loaded with flowers again.

Glad your vine survived. DH was out doing the casement/plywood deal to some of our windows today to make sure they fit tightly.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I love it Susie. I can't believe all the blooms you have!

We're in between storms right now. DH called from McAllen(about an hour away) and said a storm was moving thru, 60 mph winds, hail, rain, moving at 35 mph south east. Wind and rain just moved thru, nothing broken so far except some dead limbs from the poinciana but the gusts were so strong it was bending the plants over.

Calalily,

We got wind and rain here also. Am over in the Bluff about 7 miles from the Laguna Madre. We just got plants knocked down and damaged minimally. Supposed to be a hot one next week. Dale Nelson said on the news that one of the mornings next week will start off at 80 degrees (for what his report is worth considering Texas weather). It is bad enough to have heat in the daytime but for some reason it really bugs me when it is still that warm overnight.

I hate it when it's hot at night. This morning was nice, around 70.......then the sun came out.......94! geez, it's not supposed to be this hot here till July!
I checked weather.com, they gave one temp and forecast, didn't say anything about the storm moving thru or the warning that was issued, acuweather.com was closer to the actual conditions at the time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.