Does anyone have a clue what is going on here?

Sounds as if there are quite a few people with their hearts in the right place around here ;)

Lauren

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

;o)

Metuchen, NJ

For some things it's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.

You did the right thing. And who needs a watering can? Surely he had a cup of some kind. (Easy to see who's the pessimist in your family. Your husband sounds like mine.)

Isn't there something cool about how we've all gotten caught up in this story? It's a great story, Eq! You've inspired the rest of us to look for ways to help people. Funny what a little forum can do.
Cheers,
Joulz

Anyone here interested in germinating some Cypress seed to send down south to help replant some gardens? You'd probably have to hang on to them for about 2 years.

We have a member who lives in or around one of the heaviest hit areas of the hurricanes. Any Cypress seedlings sent to her would most assuredly make it into the ground in some of the most ravaged areas.

I was looking on line to locate sources to purchase Cupressus arizonica seed and struck out. Then I figured it might be best to find out what species of Cupressus was most common down there. Anyone have any ideas of which Cupressus was down there and where to get seed? This seed can't be all that expensive. I think providing the space to grow it as well as the time to nurture it is going to be the biggie here. Just a thought.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Equil, Coleen is talking about Taxodium, not Cupressus. I could send you seed next fall, but it would be best to use wild-collected seed from that region. Maybe she can line us up with a source down there?

Guy S.

Ahhh, Bald Cypress. I have to admit Cupressus wasn't making sense. Finding a source for southern Taxodium shouldn't be that hard. I think we're too far north to be using any seed we can gather. Who do you recommend for a source?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I would ask Coleen. She is active in several green groups down there and probably could hook you up with someone who could collect local seed. Sounds like a project for her Tree Troopers group or someone in the Louisiana Garden Club.
Guy S.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I've thought about getting on a boat and cruising the swamp around Tensaw river for fun, but I wouldn't have a clue how to collect seed with all that water around. With all the rain lately the river is up high.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Up here (well, in southern Illinois) they collect it from boats in the fall, knocking the ripe cones into the boats with long pole pruners.

Guy S.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Most of the cones here have probably already fell in the water. I dont think my pole pruner would reach that high anyways. Oh well.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

And going into a southern swamp on a boat with a long pole to knock cones down from bald cypress trees sounds like the beginning to an awful movie anyway.

Scott

Never fear, Sheffields has southern bald cypress-
http://www.sheffields.com/
Search under T

Cheap too! Origin of Arkansas

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Not to worry.. Just take makshi's killer dog pack with you. They'll protect you in the swamps!
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/579250/

He he he, real killers! Quick fast, run for cover.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

It's not that bad really. I-65 runs right through it, so there is not much chance of getting lost. Just go towards the sound of the cars. LOL

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Hi,

I just found this thread had popped up again, and I am glad I read it.

I have been taking care of my elderly parents since last feburary when my mother had a stroke. Very long story short--having seen this past year what older people can go through lost husband/wife and/or devistating illness, I'm sure what you did meant alot to him.

I have been exceedingly busy as a caregiver and when a neighbor we hardly knew swept up some leaves for us, I wanted to hug him. It meant so much to me and I didn't even know his name!

God bless you for doing this. It makes me feel good to know there are people like you out there.

Maureen

novi, MI(Zone 6a)

Equil,
count me in. I'll grow some. I have alot of room. Just let me know how i can help and how to care for the seedlings.

I will try to look up info as well.

Just let me know where, when and how to start.

Ness;-)

and god bless you for thinking of someone else in this world. it may not have taken time or money, but most people wouldnt get around to it, let alone think about it.
So, from a fellow human being- "thank you."

Hey Maureen, Funny how something as simple as raking leaves can go undone when you provide care for somebody. It's all those darn little things that build up and it sure is nice when somebody lends a hand. We call them random acts of kindness around here. Gald you were a "victim" of a random act of kindness. Sounds as if you were very deserving.

Hey Ness, hold off on buying the southern Taxodium seed from Sheffields for a bit. I received my seed and I have a few questions for them that they haven't answered yet. I'm going to give them until next Monday and then I'm going to call them back. They should have had enough time to research by then. I'll d-mail you my personal e-mail address but that member here who got hit pretty hard is named liveoaklady and she would use what ever germinates to plant in and around her county. I know she is a member of the Live Oak Society and she must be a member of other clubs in the same area. I think her own home got hit by the hurricane too as I think I read where she had commented she was still waiting for floors or something. Eek, how many months have gone by and the insurance companies still aren't exactly hopping to and getting these people back in their homes. I can't imagine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.