Using Messenger on tomatoes

Chanute, KS(Zone 6a)

Is anybody else using this stuff on your tomatoes? I bought $50 worth of the stuff and don't know how to use it. I can mix it just fine, but,
When should it be applied?
Before a rain, or after?
How much should be sprayed on the plants?
How often should it be applied?
If not used right away, will it go bad?

any help would be appreciated!
David

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

First application should be two weeks after planting out. Apply in the morning and use as a foilar spray - spray all of the leaves with a good application. Then every three weeks after. Once it's mixed you should use it - it doesn't last too long in the sprayer.
Flip

Chanute, KS(Zone 6a)

Thanks!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I think it's discussed in even more detail on the Brugmansia sites around May 10th or so. You should use it up the same day you make up your quart or whatever amount you do make up. You MUST SPRAY every 3 weeks (mark your calender) or their guarantee is null and void. It helps the plants own immune system strengthen and fight off pests and diseases. It is not a food and yet people claim almost miraculous flowering after using it.

Arlene

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

pirl isn't it Happy 1 that uses it? I've seen another post in the last few days about this...I'll have to go hunt.

While you check on that I'll look for the Messenger thread I know I saw.

May 16th at 1:59 on Brugmansias. That was the start of the Messenger site for
Green Thumb to see.

Arlene

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol..not Happy it was you, pirl. Ok I'm losin my mind.

My husband, Jack, used it on every plant in the basement, under lights. I didn't see one bit of change but bought it to prevent diseases not to see any big increase in growth.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I'll have to try it next year...that I haven't been struck down with every creepy crawlin and fungis known to man this year is a miracle. I know next year when I do everything the way it's pose to be done I'll get hit hard.

The Messenger is supposed to be used on three week intervals and we have the calender marked so we can't miss it. Whatever amount you mix up should be used right away, it doesn't keep as it loses power. My personal big test will be on the zinnia seedlings I started. They were sprayed at about 14 days old. They always get mildew so we'll see what Messenger does for them.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay guys...I've never heard of Messenger...what is it?

newatplants: see my post, above, May 24th at 9:39 PM for the Brugmansia site where they are all talking about it.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Pirl.

It is critical that you use it on exactly THREE WEEK intervals and that you use up whatever amount you make up. It deteriorates quickly.

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

Tplant swears by messsenger too. I wonder if it builds up some resistance to white fly damage ?? I'll have to do a little search on it.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I dunno but I'm about to go medieval on some leaf miner butt!

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/biopesticides/ingredients/factsheets/factsheet_006477.htm

http://www.edenbio.com/

Eden Bioscience is the manufacturer for this product which was first Ided at Cornell.

Last time I did some research I couldn't find any good studies of its effect on tomatoes, so I hope that some of you are using it on more than one plant of the SAME variety, and using it on some and not others of that SAME variety, so that you have a control to measure something with.

And that you know what diseases and pests should be there before you conclude that their absence was due to Harpin.

Carolyn, curious about results to be

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Ed, I started using Messenger on my tomamtos before I got hit by the whiteflies. I've kept using it at 3 week intervals and. if anything. the whiteflies got worse. So - I'm thinkin' it doesn't stop them.

I have used Messenger on other plants - my citrus trees are looking better and are loaded with fruit and all of my other vegetables (lettuce, beans, broccoli, peppers) and herbs did really well this year - it seems to be keeping them pretty disease free.

Flip

We did not do a control group: everything got sprayed. For 13 years we've had yellow leaves on the tomatoes so if we don't I'm ready to credit Messenger for it.

I've never grown a zinnia without getting mildew. All of them got the Messenger and will continue to get it. If I don't get mildew then I'm hooked, for sure, on Messenger.

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

I used it the first time about 1.5 weeks ago and have seen a lot of new growth but have no control so I am not totally sure what the difference that is makign the difference would be.

Drew

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I do believe I showed pictures of my plants in the tomato forum under My Garden. Messenger gave me very healthy tomato plants and I did not have any problems of any kind except for the birds gobbling up my tomatos. However it will not protect against mold. Mold is caused by lack of air circulation, lack of light and too much moisture. Eliminate the cause and you will eliminate the problem.
Living in zone 8 and having temps in the high 90s is remarkable for this time of year. I'm in zone 10 and it very rarely goes over 92. All I can say is use shade cloth if your temps are consistently in this range.

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

Tplant - We have been getting nailed with the high temps in 9a. Two days ago it got up to 94 with 88% humidity. That may have changed the composition of my mater crop from 10 different kinds to one kind. Now all I have is stewed maters on the vine!!! Cool today, right now its only 89.6 with 56% humidity. It still has time to go up a couple of more degrees.

Actually, the plants seem to be handling the high temps OK. I did have to go to filing up the EBs , and soaking the containers (they drain well) three times a day. Ed

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Ed are ya'll going to get some cooler weather like we are? Today has been much better and we are getting rain in the morning *does a rain dance* Went to WM today to look for a shade cloth and some quick release to put in the soil of the Better Bush but they didn't have either. They didn't even have jiffy to start my seeds in! I sooo hate WM! My BB is wilted like nuts today but the water level says it's fine so I'll check it again tonight and see how it's doing. It's just being a wussy mater and needs to buck up *G*

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

Saint - No cool down in sight for us. 30% chance of rain Saturday and Sunday but I guess not enough to cool us down.

WM here did not have any seed stuff at all. No seeds, trays, starter mix, nada. I asked the manager why and he said as far as corporate is concerned, the growing season is over. So I go to Lowes and they don't have anything left either. I asked the mgr and he said that boxed it all up that Monday and sent it back. Won't have it again until just before the spring season. It must be an supply chain/inventory thing. where they treat all their stores the same. I have not checked HD but they probably got rid of all their seed stuff to. I just wanted more 20" trays so it was not a big problem. I ordered them on line along with a bunch of seeds. I got Mortgage Lifter, Legend, Celebrity, Sweet Million, Homestead 24, Old German, Kentucky Beefsteak, Brandywine and Box Car Willie. I had no idea what Radishes to get (GF wants Radishes) but I got German Giant, Cherry Belle, Lady Slipper, Sparkler White Tip, and French Breakfast. At least one of them should be good.

Now that we have hijacked the thread, I'll put it back on track. I ordered Messsenger!!! Ed

araness -- Go to Home Depot or Lowes for all your supplies as they have all our needs.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Messenger mimics a disease (I'm thinking some kind of blight or something) that scares the heck out of your plant, and since it thinks it's going to die it produces foliage and flowers with every ounce of it's being to try to reproduce before it dies. Personally I don't like it, kinda like cheating, and I don't like the idea of stressing my plants by making them think they are going to die. But, I don't think of my plants as 'things' so to me it matters that they are happy. lol I'm wierd like that.

To all of you with too much heat: Southold, L.I., N.Y. hit a high of 47 degrees with gale winds today along with rain.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

LOL don't make me hurt ya pirl...btw you doing ok on the nerve? Tplant I would say something a lady shouldn't on that post but I'll behave. I've talked to the local Feed n' Seed and the nice man (if he wasn't 95 and 2 inches shorter than my 5'3 I'd be in love)has promised that he'll go into his shed and find me whatever it is I need for planting my seedlings and if he can't find it he said he was sure he had a few friends that would have extra to spare (see what I mean he's a sweetie) Also going to get some messenger to try with the new plants. I asked him about it and he assured me he had some and would put it aside.

Saint

Oh Saint! Had my first Physical Therapy session and they wouldn't let me take him home with me! Boo hoo! Ah, the massage on my sore muscle - just above the plumber's crack! (I feel like I'm blushing but how else can I describe the sore spot?) It was 1 hour and 45 minutes of heaven. Hated to leave. Have four more appointments in the next week.

If I could be sure I'd always get him I might dig more Japanese Irises late in the fall! He's my kind of Messenger, just don't tell my sweet, loving DH. He (the therapist) is just a few years older than my granddaughter!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

*G* Hey nothing wrong with admiring his ahem..hands! I had problems several years ago with a nerve in my neck and it would spasm and the muscles would lock up..I went to a soft tissue clinic and fell in love. It hurt like heck while it was being done but after if was fantastic.

Araness - I feel as though you're my confessor!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

LOL...I need to PM you. So You've got (ok getting) mail.

This is about Messenger ! Remember ???

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Yes Sir...wasn't my fault..

On our Sunday morning gardening radio show I first heard about Messenger and for the last year have not heard one person complain about it. Sounds good to me.

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

this thread almost became x-rated....... whew!! thanks, tplant!
LOL

My breathing is still not back to normal and Messenger had nothing to do with it!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Well I'm pretty stoked to try it now. I'll have to make a trip to the FnS store in the morning if the weather clears up. I have to go for things to start seeds with so I'll just spend more money. *G*

Please read all of their instructions and please do use up whatever quantity you make up within an hour of when you make it up. Keep the rest very tightly sealed. They say to keep it vacuum packed but I can't see how we're able to do that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.