Bleeding heart seed ???

Abbottstown, PA(Zone 6a)

How do you collect seeds from the bleeding heart?

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I have never done it-- usually propigation is done by dividing the roots

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

The PF entry says

Quoting:
Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed;
Allow pods to dry on plant; break open to collect seeds

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/52/index.html

I've never tried it though. Just bought 2 x D. spectabilis and 2 x D. formosa, so hope to get some seeds this fall.

Good luck! :-)

Shannon

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Yet another good use for your old pantyhose!

~* Robin

Albrightsville, PA(Zone 4a)

You want to make sure the seeds are ripe. They are shiny and black when ripe. The seed pods look like mini pea pods. The pantyhose idea would be good if you think you might forget to check everyday. Otherwise, pick the pods when they are very swollen and just starting to split open.
Pam

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I've just harvested most of my fern-leaf bleeding heartseeds. Some pods had between 2 and 3 dozen seeds in them. I don t bag them, just pick them when most are dry and starting to split. I hope the few I lose start babies for next year. I read on Tom Clothier's seed site (I think) that they have such a short viability, they should be sowed soon after they are dry. I've never sewn any so have no personal experience with them.

Abbottstown, PA(Zone 6a)

Kooger
Would you be willing to trade some of your seeds with me? Please let em know.
vicki

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

You have DG mail. :)

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Wow, that is great! How old was yours to be producing so many seed pods? I ordered a fern-leaf this yr, but it showed up itty bitty and dead. I was very disappointed! ~ Suzi :)

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Only 3 years old but I guess it loves its spot -north side of house, full shade. I do nothing to it except water it when needed. That hasn't been necessary this year - getting a bit too much rain - had just under 6 inches on Thursday and Friday. Glad to share seed if u want some. DG-mail me.

oiartzun-near san se, Spain(Zone 8a)

Kooger, would love to trade some seed with you if you have any left. Look at my trade list to see if there's anything you`d like to swap. thanks,
Maggi

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Sure, I'll DG-mail u.

Have to correct my earlier post - the dicentra pods had counts in the low 20s in the largest pods. The larger count pods were Nora Barlow columbines - forgot which ones I was cleaning. lol sorry!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.